Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Inspirational Quotes

Blog Entries

Re: Inspirational Quotes

"A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education."

George Bernard Shaw - The man had a quote for every occasion!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." Mother Teresa
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries

"Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire."

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself to others you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your career however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.
    Be yourself, especially do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
    Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture the strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and lonliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars: you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
    Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be: and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul.
    With all its shams, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Erhmann

One Day at a Time..

Help me believe in what I could be and all that I am.
    Show me the stairway to climb;
    Lord, for my sake teach me to take
    One day at a time..

Blog Entries

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

"You've got to find something worth dying for AND something worth living for" ~ Me

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    "You've got to find something worth dying for AND something worth living for" ~ Me
    "but preferably not in that order." (me.)

My Inspirational Quotes

Wow! Great thread! Thanks for your quotes. Here are mine:

How much truth does a spirit endure, how much truth does it dare? More and more that became for me the real measure of value. Error (faith in the ideal) is not blindness, error is cowardiceNitimur in vetitum!

F. Nietzsche

Inventors and geniuses have almost always been looked on as no better than fools at the beginning of their career, and very frequently at the end of it also.

F. Dostoevsky

The bullet that will kill me is not yet cast.

Napoleon

To believe in God is not hard. Inquisitors, Byron and Arakcheev believed in Him. No, believe in man!

A. Chekhov

Humour is the adornment and virtue of a nation. Whilst we are able to joke we are a great nation!

S. Dovlatov

Now I say to you in conclusion, life is hard,
    at times as hard as crucible steel.
    It has its bleak and difficult moments.
    Like the ever-flowing waters of the river,
    life has its moments of drought
    and its moments of flood.
    Like the ever-changing cycle of the seasons,
    life has the soothing warmth of its summers
    and the piercing chill of its winters.
    But if one will hold on,
    he will discover that God walks with him,
    and that God is able to lift you
    from the fatigue of despair
    to the buoyancy of hope
    and transform dark and desolate valleys
    into sunlit paths of inner peace

Martin Luther King

The 1989 earthquake which almost flattened Armenia killed over 30,000 people in less than four minutes. In the midst of all the confusion of the earthquake, a father rushed to his son's school. When he arrived there he discovered the building was flat as a pancake.

Standing there looking at what was left of the school, the father remembered a promise he made to his son, "No matter what, I'll always be there for you!" Tears began to fill his eyes. It looked like a hopeless situation, but he could not take his mind off his promise.

Remembering that his son's classroom was in the back right corner of the building, the father rushed there and started digging through the rubble. As he was digging other grieving parents arrived, clutching their hearts, saying: "My son! "My daughter!" They tried to pull him off of what was left of the school saying: "It's too late!" "They're dead!" "You can't help!" "Go home!" Even a police officer and a fire fighter told him he should go home. To everyone who tried to stop him he said, "Are you going to help me now?" They did not answer him and he continued digging for his son stone by stone.

He needed to know for himself: "Is my boy alive or is he dead?" This man dug for eight hours and then twelve and then twenty-four and then thirty-six. Finally in the thirty-eighth hour, as he pulled back a boulder, he heard his son's voice. He screamed his son's name, "ARMAND!" and a voice answered him, "Dad?" It's me Dad!" Then the boy added these priceless words, "I told the other kids not to worry. I told 'em that if you were alive, you'd save me and when you saved me, they'd be saved. You promised that, Dad. 'No matter what,' you said, 'I'll always be there for you!' And here you are Dad. You kept your promise!"

Source: Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen, "Chicken Soup for the Soul."

Che Fece...Il Gran Rifiuto

For some people the day comes
    when they have to declare the great Yes
    or the great No. It's clear at once who has the Yes
    ready within him; and saying it,

he goes from honour to honour, strong in his conviction.
    He who refuses does not repent. Asked again,
    he'd still say no. Yet that no - the right no -
    drags him down all his life.

C.P. Cavafy

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you
    know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person. When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
    Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow or learn. They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it, it is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons, things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person and put what you have learned to use in all
    other relationships and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

I got back from lunch today and someone had put this up in our section. After a rather emotional couple of days, it was like a ray of light in a thunderstorm. I've seen it before and loved it then, but it just seemed particularly relevant today

Our Deepest Fear

by Marianne Williamson from <CITE>A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles</CITE>

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Be Realistic...Expect a Miracle.~ Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR View Post
    People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you
    know which one it is, you will know what to do for that person. When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend and they are. They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
    Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow or learn. They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it, it is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons, things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person and put what you have learned to use in all
    other relationships and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.
    Just had time to read this. It really does make you think. Thanks for posting it

Sent my post before I'd finished-stupid child that I am. Where did you get the quote from Katie?

This is my email signature. So true for me...

To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak.
    Hopi Indian saying

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck".

It doesn't matter how I feel when I wake up because I have an agenda. T.D.Jakes

Thread Information