• Going on a plane to Spain

3 3.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Who's attending what weekend Sep 8, 9, 10

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Who's attending what weekend Sep 8, 9, 10

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Well, I had the best night I've had at Ashtons (albeit that's less than a handful of times). Yes, there was lots of fast stuff played and I guess I now expect an inconsistent music policy when I go there but, for me, dancing is mainly about the people and last night I had lots of fun dances with lots of lovely people and that's good enough for me.

Rob
    Blimey, who gave you the chill pill?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Well i think you may have made a good decision. There were, as usual, some great dancers at Ashtons but the music gets worse everytime i go!
    I'm concerned that the venue is going downhill fast, (it gets less busy all the time)
    I think the Wednesday evenings have been slowly declining for a couple of years now - numbers-wise at least. Although that means there's lots of room to dance

As for the music, you could always post a constructive critique?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    of sheer pleasure is what DJ meant, obviously
    Actually, I meant that it'd give me the chance to whinge about it.

Who knows, though - as said about Ashtons, if you have low expectations about a night, you may just enjoy yourself. I shall provide a full and frank review tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Well, I had the best night I've had at Ashtons (albeit that's less than a handful of times). Yes, there was lots of fast stuff played and I guess I now expect an inconsistent music policy when I go there but, for me, dancing is mainly about the people and last night I had lots of fun dances with lots of lovely people and that's good enough for me.

Rob
    I enjoy fun dances with lovely people too but the music can make or break an occasion for me. I'm getting increasingly frustrated because very few dance venues seem to reliably offer the kind of "product" music-wise that I want to buy. I'm reluctant to spend £8 and a whole load of effort and petrol money on music that I don't really enjoy - although the people remain as lovely as ever, of course!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I enjoy fun dances with lovely people too but the music can make or break an occasion for me. ~snip~ although the people remain as lovely as ever, of course!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    ... didn't quite make it to Cricklewood!!!!

Set out with all good intention [bit late at 8pm] ... got as far as Leicester, and figured that I was being a little tooooooo ambitious!!

Maybe next time eh!

Leicester weren't bad though!! Had lovely dance with Northants Girl!
    Good to hear this. I take it the DJ didn't play "All I want for Christmas", then? -one of his August favourites.
    I made a late decision to go to Leicester, arrived around 9.30pm. It wasn't the regular Leicester DJ. I think his name is Rob. It was an OK set, I prefer faster music in general. It was quiet, at one point I counted around 20 couples on the floor, and 20 people sitting around the edges. I had lots of fun, and some good dances.

I'm going to Swindon tonight where Paul Warden is teaching WCS. Anyone else going?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
    I'm going to Swindon tonight where Paul Warden is teaching WCS. Anyone else going?
    Nope, but I hope he is on time

PS I think he is FAB

Is that to luvvvie for me Silver Fox

I enjoy fun dances with lovely people too but the music can make or break an occasion for me. I'm getting increasingly frustrated because very few dance venues seem to reliably offer the kind of "product" music-wise that I want to buy. I'm reluctant to spend £8 and a whole load of effort and petrol money on music that I don't really enjoy - although the people remain as lovely as ever, of course!

Still recuperating from last night at Ashtons.. have to agree with all the comments on the music played.. some disco, some just far too fast (more lindy like really) and some just... made me cringe at times and look for a handbag to dance around (not that I mind it on suitable occasions).. There were a number of beautiful songs very early on and the occasional favourite played quite late on, thankfully and I had a few lovely dances to them..... but It mustbe said that I enjoyed the social aspect more so than the dancing itself... It is always just great to catch up with everyone... and to meet Little Wiggle too..

The exhaustion comes from getting to bed at 3am and having to get up at 8!! not fun, but luckily was able to sneak back to bed and try and catch up thank goodness

Did have some lovely dances and quite enjoyed myself on the whole, but would have got on the dancefloor a lot more if the music had been a bit more suitable for me... (not at racehorse speed, as I am getting old.. )

Wont put me off trying though and hope that some of the comments made, will encourage the powers-that-be, to do something about it..

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondonut View Post

Did have some lovely dances and quite enjoyed myself on the whole, but would have got on the dancefloor a lot more if the music had been a bit more suitable for me... (not at racehorse speed, as I am getting old.. )

Wont put me off trying though and hope that some of the comments made, will encourage the powers-that-be, to do something about it..
    Glad you still enjoyedit! If it's still fun when the music's poor just think what it would be like if the music was good. Sadly, I think the powers-that-be will carry on just as they are unless complaints are made directly to them. There's no guarantee they read the forum, anyway.

I think the powers-that-be will carry on just as they are unless complaints are made directly to them. There's no guarantee they read the forum, anyway.

Just be careful, some powers at be don't like any tips and ideas you might have.

I don't know what the power at be are like at Astons, but it has been my experience, to my detriment recently, that they could tell you that you can only go to the venue if you say good things and no negative things, or nothing at all.

mmmmm

I can't keep my mouth shut that long, good bad or indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Just be careful, some powers at be don't like any tips and ideas you might have.

I don't know what the power at be are like at Astons, but it has been my experience, to my detriment recently, that they could tell you that you can only go to the venue if you say good things and no negative things, or nothing at all.

mmmmm

I can't keep my mouth shut that long, good bad or indifferent.
    Ooer, I'm worried now.

It's hard to imagine them taking that much notice! They've probably lost my custom anyway, because I don't really want to buy what they're selling. I'm sure that they can afford to lose my £8. I did approach them directly before mentioning it on the forum - but they believe they have a good product that does not need to be changed.

If various dance professionals can accept the stick that's been dished out to them on recent threads and take it in good part I'll be amazed if Ceroc London get all shirty about a bit of moaning on the forum. If they've got every faith in their DJ how could what is said on here damage them, anyway?

But perhaps you're itching to tell us about your detrimental experience? Do reveal all......or pm me, I'm all curious now.

Commercial Operator

As a DJ I find these occurrences interesting (really) so that I can learn from them. but maybe everyone can.

Did anyone tell the DJ what they thought?
    Was it just an isolated person?
    Were there lots of people enjoying the music so the DJ was perhaps "pandering to the silent majority"?

It's difficult enough to DJ without having to second guess how people in the room are feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
    Just got back from Twyford.
    Although I am the official forum lightweight I had a good reason for leaving at 11:00pm this time. Jet-lag. Im exhausted.

Great night though. Fab to chat to (and meet) the Scottish crowd. Looking forward to chatting tomorrow when Im a bit more with it. Well, as much as ever
    TWK was on the ball with his music. A completely mixed bag. Must have been something there for everyone

Very fast floor but I love that

Really enjoyable night.

TWK was on the ball with his music. A completely mixed bag. Must have been something there for everyone

Very fast floor but I love that

Really enjoyable night.

After driving over from Swindon Ceroc ( cancelled last minute)

I thought the music was a good mix well done TWK

Superb floor

suprisingly plenty of room

and lots of good dancers.

I had a great night

Last edited by Lory; 10th-September-2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: fix quotes

Well I had a great time at Hammersmith last night

Not too crowded, warm but not roasting, and I liked the music (but then I will admit that I'm probably not as fussy/discerning as some on here - maybe due to having been on the Ceroc circuit for less time). Had lots of great dances, and couple of, uhm, rather interesting ones

I think it was the first time I've actually gone to a freestyle feeling so confident though - no idea why, maybe the good weather?! But I felt that it didn't matter what anyone threw at me, I'd cope with it (and that if I didn't, I was feeling good enough to laugh it off). And I didn't get any moody dancers who got annoyed when I did mess anything up either

And thanks to Tessa for identifying two mystery tracks for my friend and I

Was also extremely pleased that my non-forumite friend who decided to come unexpectedly (as she's been going off Ceroc ) had a great time despite not having danced for a few weeks.

Pics from the meal before dancing at Twyford
    Attached Images Attached Images

And a few more
    Attached Images Attached Images

great pics.. but apart from Caro (and yourself I think?) I don't recognise anyone

Chicklet, Dave Hancock, Jennifer, Spikey Blond, Paul F, Keith, Brady, Caro, Moi, Molly, Ms Fab

Thread Information