Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin has died.

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

Re: Steve 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin has died.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Sorry but I really don't see what that has to do with the posts above. There are always yet greater tragedies and this isn't about comparison. Or are you saying that because those RAF men died that makes it OK to poke fun at someone else's death?
    What I took from Gus's post was that he was saying some "b" list media personality passes away and there is this sudden outpouring with everyone saying what a great guy he was. However on a daily basis there are far greater tragedies that we seem to ignore.

I feel considerable more sympathy for the family of RAF men who died doing their duty for their country rather than making some freak show for tv.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh but I just don't really get this fascination with media personalities most of us have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post

Sorry if this comes across as a bit harsh but I just don't really get this fascination with media personalities most of us have.
    Gotta agree with Dave on this one

I mean who would be vindictive and nasty enough to mention a joke about Steve's Favourite TV show being Stingray

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

What's Steve Erwins favourite kids programme?

A. Thunderbirds

B. Captain Scarlet

C. Stingray. Ooops!

OK, so now i'm a really bad person and you'll have to put me in that box with GaG!

They're talking about this triggering the biggest outpouring of national grief since Princess Diana passed away on ABC's website.

Reports pervade all over the web about how news websites are having to run in low-bandwidth mode" to cope with the extra internet traffic that this tragedy has triggered.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=6979

Whilst SI was a big star in the UK, he was absolutely massive in the US. Indeed every major news agency's website is running this as their top story. (Fox News, CNN, CBS, MSNBC, ABC News, etc ....).

Frankly, I just can't believe that he's gone. Our thoughts and prays are with his family and friends at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post

OK, so now i'm a really bad person and you'll have to put me in that box with GaG!
    Rep on it's way that was FAF
    Did you say you wanted to wear a GaG?

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

Di, no offence but you've really overstepped the mark with this, it's not a laughing matter and I'd have expected more from you

Di, no offence but you've really overstepped the mark with this, it's not a laughing matter and I'd have expected more from you
    Oooh, i like it when you tell me off!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR View Post
    So are you saying that those of us that don't wrestle crocodiles and keep deadly snakes for pets aren't true Aussies??
    WHOAH!...... (I think we have issues)

Where did I say that wrestling crocs and keeping snakes for pets made Steve Irwin a true Aussie?

Everyone knows that it's only blokes who's Sheila's don't keep the cold beers coming that aren't true Aussie's.

Now get with the program love and make mine a Fosters!

Oooh, i like it when you tell me off!
    *gags self*

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

Now get with the program love and make mine a Fosters!
    XXXX for me please

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    That's not the point at all.
    I read your post and had to go search the Internet to find out what you were talking about -- I had not heard about those 14 men.
    But I heard about Steve Irwin about 15 min after the first news report appeared on the web.

The 14 deaths are front page news with their pics (well 10 of them) in the Daily mail today

I take you point and a international celebrity is going to get more ‘publicity’

Ill miss the chap

People can of course take the **** and tell jokes

Today ill think of his young kids he left behind

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    yeah a guy dies in a terrible accident leaving his wife and young kids.. what a punchline !
    Well, de gustibus est non disputandem , so if you don't find it amusing, that's fine.

But where do you think humour comes from? Imagine a sitcom where everybody was getting along just fine and nobody suffered in any way whatsoever.

When would you laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    Gotta agree with Dave on this one

I mean who would be vindictive and nasty enough to mention a joke about Steve's Favourite TV show being Stingray
    It is not true that I once queued in the rain to get Marina's autograph.

"Anything can happen in the next half hour!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Well, de gustibus est non disputandem , so if you don't find it amusing, that's fine.

But where do you think humour comes from? Imagine a sitcom where everybody was getting along just fine and nobody suffered in any way whatsoever.

When would you laugh?
    true , there's no accounting for taste (I thought it was disputandum but my classical studies is a little rusty these days.. but that's just me being pedantic)

I'm not overly gutted about this guys passing.. it's a shame when anyone pops their socks but I care no more or no less about steve's passing than I do about the RAF men. all were a tragic loss.. be they a B list celeb side show freakshow or men who died in the name of their country.

I t may be harsh but none of them affected me personally. If any were my uncle or cousins etc then I would feel different. But I'm not "Upset" over their passing (steve or RAF guys) I think it's a shame and would prefer it hadn't happened but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Af for situation comedy and farce.. I would think even Barry would have to admit there's a bit of a gap between getting a pie in the face, or sitting on a broken wooden stool and ending up on the floor when it collapsed beneath you and being killed in either a helicopter crash or being stung by a stingray in the chest. or at least.. I think so.. I have no idea what sort of "comedy" programs he watches.

Me either. It makes no difference to me that Steve Irwin has died. It makes a big difference to his family. They're the ones I feel sorry for in regard to the 'jokes'.

Commercial Operator

What's Steve Erwins favourite kids programme?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Me either. It makes no difference to me that Steve Irwin has died. It makes a big difference to his family. They're the ones I feel sorry for in regard to the 'jokes'.
    In general I find the po-faced attitude that people assume they have to take with regard to somebody dying to be the most distressing part of the whole thing. (Just look at the verbal tortures we put ourselves through about people "passing away".) In the past, when close members of my family have died I have been as keen as most (keener, even) to hang on to whatever humour came my way.

Bring on the death jokes, I say.

well, yes there's always room to make a solemn moment pass easier with a little humour. Exhibit A. John Cleese doing the "Dead Python sketch" at Graeme Chapmans memorial service.

and Personally I want to be ushered out to the strains of "always look on the bright side of life" but having a laugh to lighten a moment is one thing but to actually mock the cause of death.. Imagine if someone close to you died in a car accident.. I doubt you'd be laughing much I mentioned that the last thing to go through their mind was the windscreen now would it?

I'm not adverse to slap stick or humour to alleviate a tense situation (except for repo man funerals.. they spend their life getting into tense situations) .. I'm not wanting to start a forum war here or to come across as a mirthless killjoy.. A little empathy is all I'm asking for, if you put yourself in their place (the family .. not the deceased) then think how well these "harmless" jokes would go down. .. unless of course there's a gap in the market for Funeral comedians?

Still lets not divert this thread any further. A man has died. That's pretty bad. nuff said. my views on black humour and others differing views don't come into it. Not that anything I say here is really going to change your views anyway ??

Imagine if someone close to you died in a car accident.. I doubt you'd be laughing much I mentioned that the last thing to go through their mind was the windscreen now would it?
    Of course not, but that is because it's a personal bereavement. I don't think any of us on here knew Steve Irwin personally. We all die it's something we can't avoid unfortunately and i will mourn with my friends and families at their losses. But we would be in a perpetuate state of mourning if we did it for everyone who died! We are all different, my dad is dying of Cancer and he is always making jokes about his funeral etc and i join him. It's his way of coping. I know that when he eventually leaves us it will break my heart but i wouldn't expect Joe Bloggs from Australia to be sad about it too.

and Personally I want to be ushered out to the strains of "always look on the bright side of life"
    Step this way...

...what do you mean, 'not just yet'?

Of course not, but that is because it's a personal bereavement. I don't think any of us on here knew Steve Irwin personally. We all die it's something we can't avoid unfortunately and i will mourn with my friends and families at their losses. But we would be in a perpetuate state of mourning if we did it for everyone who died! We are all different, my dad is dying of Cancer and he is always making jokes about his funeral etc and i join him. It's his way of coping. I know that when he eventually leaves us it will break my heart but i wouldn't expect Joe Bloggs from Australia to be sad about it too.
    Joe always was an insensitive git, if you ask me.

Thread Information