Thread: You never know your luck...

You never know your luck...

Having had a PM conversation with Stray Cat in recent days and slagging off (as I usually do) the dance scene down here, I seriously considered not going to the freestyle at Bournemouth last night - even though it's the best of the venues, a proper ballroom.

But I did, and when I got there, there was a much higher quotient of tolerable partners there than usual, so I congratulated myself on my decision.

So after about half an hour, I'm at my table, talking with friends and towelling my face, and I become aware of someone hovering, clearly wanting to dance with me. (Which is nice, let's face it, when someone makes a particular effort!)

So I turned around and...

it was Zebra Woman! What a turn up for the books.

Seems she is on holiday in the area. So that made my night.

Re: You never know your luck...

I was at a freestyle with more than its fair share of women (not uncommon round here) and had to resort to desperate measures to get my fair share of dances. So, on finishing one dance, a suitable looking man walked past me and I jumped in and asked him to dance as he tried to leave the dance floor.

Ooo, he was good and I congratulated myself on finding one of those rare dark horses. I had a lovely dance (dunno whether he did...) and filed him in my memory for a future pounce.

Imagine my horror when 20 mins later, he was one half of The Stunning Cabaret! If I'd known he was a Dance God, I wouldn't have had the nerve to ask and would have missed out. Lucky moment for me. I'm just grateful I didn't stand on his feet.

Daisy

(A Cowardly Little Flower)
    Last edited by Daisy Chain; 27th-August-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Hi Daisy, I'm with you!! I got asked to dance by a Dance God a few months ago and I still haven't gotten over it. I wouldn't want to impose on someone so good when I know there are more talented ladies also wanting a dance, but I'm certainly not going to turn them down if they ask me!!!

(In fact, one of the other ladies told me off later for having "too many" dances with the Dance God but I just don't care....I STILL find myself daydreaming about it. )

I was out the the other night and i had just finished a dance when someone grabbed my arm and was pulling me along for a dance..
    This person is a teacher (non forumite) and i've always thought he and his girlfriend looked down on everyone (more his girlfriend though), i see him quite a lot but he's never asked me to dance so it was quite a surprise to just be grabbed like that. i was actually quite nervous about dancing with him.
    We finished the dance and he asked for a second one and after he said thanks, what a fantastic dance and he even rushed to grab a couple more later on that night.
    It just made me feel really good and made my night as i've always felt a bit imtimidated by him and being complimented by someone who is so young felt really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Green-eyed Monsta View Post

I got asked to dance by a Dance God a few months ago ....
    I still haven't sussed how to make that happen

Looking winsome doesn't work. Praps a head and body transplant?

Daisy

(A Godless Little Flower)
    Last edited by Daisy Chain; 28th-August-2006 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    I still haven't sussed how to make that happen
    Alas Daisy, you can't MAKE such things happen...that's why it's LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by wayaay bird View Post
    being complimented by someone who is so young felt really nice.
    Yeah cos you're really old

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Having had a PM conversation with Stray Cat in recent days and slagging off (as I usually do) the dance scene down here, I seriously considered not going to the freestyle at Bournemouth last night - even though it's the best of the venues, a proper ballroom.

But I did, and when I got there, there was a much higher quotient of tolerable partners there than usual, so I congratulated myself on my decision.

So after about half an hour, I'm at my table, talking with friends and towelling my face, and I become aware of someone hovering, clearly wanting to dance with me. (Which is nice, let's face it, when someone makes a particular effort!)

So I turned around and...

it was Zebra Woman! What a turn up for the books.

Seems she is on holiday in the area. So that made my night.
    Thank you Barry Shnikov , that is a compliment indeed.

I also thought twice about risking a night out at Mojive. It was a wonderful surpise to see you too. I agree the standard of dancing was higher than my last visit a year ago. It does help when Viktor and Roy turn up though.

Sadly the music was at best two thirds miss and one third hit for me.

Musical lowlights included:

Chatanooga Choo Choo, Brown Sugar, See ya Later Alligator.

ZW

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    Thank you Barry Shnikov , that is a compliment indeed.

I also thought twice about risking a night out at Mojive. It was a wonderful surpise to see you too. I agree the standard of dancing was higher than my last visit a year ago. It does help when Viktor and Roy turn up though.

Sadly the music was at best two thirds miss and one third hit for me.

Musical lowlights included:

Chatanooga Choo Choo, Brown Sugar, See ya Later Alligator.

ZW
    Yes, I meant to add another post to this thread about Roy and Victor turning up. There was everything but a queue at the edge of the dance floor of women waiting to dance with them...and I seem to remember a certain dancer left me to dance with Victor at such speed that I got friction burns on my hand...

Hope your holiday was good.

Quote Originally Posted by wayaay bird View Post
    I was out the the other night and i had just finished a dance when someone grabbed my arm and was pulling me along for a dance..
    This person is a teacher (non forumite)
    When I was getting on for being a beginner at Rebel Roc (There shows my age). I was frequently grabbed by teachers and taxi dancers during the freestyle parts of the evening. I was reticent about my ability and didn't want to show how bad I was. I was bad enough that they'd stop me and correct problems I was developing and maybe even take me off to one side for a few minutes to get me through a move properly. They were always good enough to either continue the dance or stay for the next track after helping me. My confidence and abililty grew in leaps and bounds because of those fantastic people who were willing to come back again and again. I even got to the stage where I was mediocre and could put together a sequence of a dozen moves.

Then moves around the country happened, small things arrived and the better dancer by a country mile and a half got the priority of getting out of the house on dance nights. If my cunning plan works out then I'll be able to go dancing badly again in the spring.

Thread Information