Thread: Flatpack Furniture - just need a screwdriver

Angry Flatpack Furniture - just need a screwdriver

OK, let me state straight up that I have ZERO woodwork capability ... but have survived to date with flatpack furniture, principaly from IKEA (no surprise). However, for my new wardrobes I deceided to go up market and got a top of range set from MFI. My expectation has always been that the worst you may have to do is to hammer in a few tacks to hold the back panel ... but no, I've now discovered something a lot worse.

First of all, despite there being a myriad of pre-drilled holes for load of options I hadn't bought, we soon realised that there were no holes for the door handles. It turns out that you have to drill them yourself (with the drill I don't own). Next, it turns out that the cronice I bought is in fact an 8' plank that I have to cut and mitre myself to fix ... HOW ? You can guess that a mitre clamp and good saw are also missing from my kit.

So ... am I being unreasonable in my assumption that this is NOT what I was buying ... or am I living in cloud cuckoo land to believe that flatpack should be self assembly with an O level in woodwork?

Re: Flatpack Furniture - just need a screwdriver

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    However, for my new wardrobes I deceided to go up market and got a top of range set from MFI.
    Didn't know MFI (Made For Idiots) was upmarket or top of the range

Well you learn something new everyday

You have my sympathy… Still have memories of an MFI wardrobe a mate and I had to put together in my student days. I had to sit on the packaging in the boot of the estate car cab we’d hired to get it home, to stop it slipping out. We had the same problem re, the drill, but borrowed one from a neighbour and spent the evening shouting at each other “bang it in harder”, “now screw it in”, “it won’t go in”, “the bit’s come out”, “harder, harder”, “now get it up”… you get the picture.

How we ever got the thing assembled I’ll never know – we were laughing so much.

Gus,

I can't say I've had that experience.. but I have had to do occasional drilling and such for some flat pack stuff.

My DIY skills are poor to say the least and usually end up with blood everywhere. in fact I'm sure DIY stands for Damage and Injure yourself.

That said my Parents were up at the weekend and Dad was laughing at my toolbox. not because it was funny but previously if I needed a hammer I'd use a shoe , a screwdriver a knife etc and now I have power tools a plenty, chisels, planes, a plethora of screwdrivers and drill bits, mitre guides, saws etc etc.. he thought it amusing that I'm turning into him

Once you start it does come pretty quick. and I didn't even do O level Woodwork !!

I suppose once you own property you HAVE to learn DIY a bit. I got the Collins DIY book.. VERY VERY VERY good (do I have enough very's in there?)

Not had to use my new found skills much in the way of furniture assembly though.. that's very odd it's so unfinished !!

Blog Entries

OK, let me state straight up that I have ZERO woodwork capability....
    .... with an O level in woodwork?
    Make up your mind! (or was it so long ago, you've just forgotten..... )

I deceided to go up market and got a top of range set from MFI.
    There's your problem, mate. MFI? Top of the range?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Ikea cupboard doors also come pre-drilled (is that a word?) so that you can fit whichever handles or door knobs you prefer - or even none at all. (The items in the cupboard just need to push from the inside when they want to get out.)

I agree that it requires the ability to drill small holes equally spaced across several doors for a row of cupboards not to look entirely silly!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    There's your problem, mate. MFI? Top of the range?
    I know its hard to belive but they know have 3 ranges of furniture ... think the one I got was Schriber or Hygenea or something ... lets put it this way ... its not as bad as the bottom of the range

Must admit to being a bit miffed. I've managed to assemble countless items before .... but this seems a little silly. When I've had things that did require a small degree of carpentry I've survived (sort of) but when you pay serious money, part of that is for the ease of assembly. Now need to research how to make napalm and go round to MFI to try to negotiate

TiggsTours

I shouldn't have read this thread. I've just bought a flatpack bed, which I will have to put together myself, I was scared anyway, now I'm terrified!

I might just stick the mattress on the floor.

You're deluded Gus - MFI furniture is not even close to the quality of IKEA!!! ( My VERY favourite shop )
    I've managed to make up 2 computer desks, 6 bookcases +hang glass doors on them, 5 chests of drawers, 2 CD towers and a wardrobe all from IKEA all by myself without one single problem at all ! Their flatpack furniture is second to none.
    Mind you, you could always take a trip along to B+Q and ask if you could enrol on one of their DIY classes - I went on a ladies DIY class at B+Q and it was very useful . I even know how to cut a worktop and fit a sink unit into it ( if I ever needed to)

Heather
    xx

Now need to research how to make napalm and go round to MFI to try to negotiate
    get some Aluminium power and some rust.. I'm sure thermite is better

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Now need to research how to make napalm and go round to MFI to try to negotiate
    I'd go back as soon as you can cos I read MFI were going downhill fast and they might be getting taken over (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    go up market...from MFI
    Right - that up-marketness of MFI would be why the business is likely to sell for £1 then...

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    I'd go back as soon as you can cos I read MFI were going downhill fast and they might be getting taken over (?)
    Thats why I managed to negotiate some rather good deals on the rest of the stuff To be honest, even if the wardrobes end up as firewood I'm still ahead on the deal but it bugs me that the product is 95% fine but then let down by some serious flaws (and their customer service was about the quality you would expect). Doesn't take much to work out why they are where they are.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Thats why I managed to negotiate some rather good deals on the rest of the stuff To be honest, even if the wardrobes end up as firewood I'm still ahead on the deal but it bugs me that the product is 95% fine but then let down by some serious flaws (and their customer service was about the quality you would expect). Doesn't take much to work out why they are where they are.
    No holes for handles is a feature, not a flaw. Different handles have different hole spacings so they need to be drilled to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    No holes for handles is a feature, not a flaw.
    Spoken like a true software producer. (Well, written like one, anyway.)

it bugs me that the product is 95% fine but then let down by some serious flaws
    It's true what they say.....

You get what you pay for and if you buy cheap cr@p you shouldn't be surprised when it has flaws

Thread Information