Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you who believe in crystal healing...

Re: For those of you who believe in crystal healing...

Quote Originally Posted by quiet_flame View Post
    The principal I'm using is based on a shamanic principals, which I find useful when wanting to deal with something quickly and effectively.
    Shamanic principals believe that everything has a spirit and an essence of itself that will permeate out into the world.

I know this may or may not help you to understand why we believe...
    But for those who are interested...there you go!
    You seem like a really nice person, it's shame we're are unlikely to dance together.

I don't think there's enough common ground for us to discuss crystal therapy in a way that helps. Thanks for the URL, by the way; it's a pretty site and - dare I say it - some of the text is pretty amusing. "Mystical energies"!

Shaman - witch doctor - wizard - I do find it enervating that people seriously believe in these things. Perhaps I'd feel better if I believed in such things too - maybe I'd be a nicer person...

NAAAAH!

Nothing could make me any nicer. (Think about it carefully...)

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    I think Barry is a closet Shaman and under his bed is a shoe-box full of crystals. I think he knows perfectly well how they work, and he's just winding you up about all this unbeliever stuff.

Right Barry? Joke's over now, admit it.
    Anybody who wants to brave the underneath of my bed is welcome to look. Please form an orderly queue...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    One theory for what powered the sun was myriads of meteorite impacts, each one slightly heating it up.
    OK, I stand corrected on whether there was historical consensus, so the sun's probably a bad example. But I'm still not seeing the connection between fusion and black holes. Seems to me if you don't have fusion, it only makes it easier to postulate large dense masses that fall inside the Schwarzschild limit.

Hello..?

Is anybody out there..?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Here's a testable hypothesis: wanna bet that if a crystal looks pretty, it will be said to have really beneficial effects, but if it doesn't look pretty, it will have either negative or depressingly practical effects (like curing kidney stones).
    That could just be because your brain can sense the beneficial effects of various stones and interprets that as 'looking pretty'. You could have evolved (in the Darwinian sense) a mechanism to stay away from 'dangerous rocks' and vocalise this feeling as the crystal being 'ugly'.

Commercial Operator

Hello..?

Is anybody out there..?
    Depends what belief system you subscribe to

Oops. I'm not here or posting. Honest. Keep ignoring me

Commercial Operator

(thinks: better choose pistols, then...)
    You have your wish sir, pistols it is. Shall we say dawn on the heath?

That could just be because your brain can sense the beneficial effects of various stones and interprets that as 'looking pretty'. You could have evolved (in the Darwinian sense) a mechanism to stay away from 'dangerous rocks' and vocalise this feeling as the crystal being 'ugly'.
    Pop out to your kitchen, boil some water, put a teabag in a cup, add the water, open your enormous fridge (try not to fall in), add some milk, and drink the tea s l o w l y. When you feel better, return to your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    You have your wish sir, pistols it is. Shall we say dawn on the heath?
    You can say anything you like on the heath. I'm not getting up before 7.30.

Pop out to your kitchen, boil some water, put a teabag in a cup, add the water, open your enormous fridge (try not to fall in), add some milk, and drink the tea s l o w l y. When you feel better, return to your computer.
    I've run out of fresh milk. I bought some yesterday, but it has gone sour already. Actually that's the second time that's happened to me with milk bought from that mini-market shop, so I'm not going back there again. Can anyone suggest a crystal that prevents bacterial growth? I could put some in the fridge with the milk and see if that helps. Will powdered milk work?

Commercial Operator

You can say anything you like on the heath. I'm not getting up before 7.30.
    I can wait. Plenty of time to find an ambush point

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    OK, I stand corrected on whether there was historical consensus, so the sun's probably a bad example. But I'm still not seeing the connection between fusion and black holes. Seems to me if you don't have fusion, it only makes it easier to postulate large dense masses that fall inside the Schwarzschild limit.
    ...in the sense that the cloud that condensed into the solar system would have - since the star would not ignite, there being no fusion - condense into a large dark mass instead, a sufficiently large mass to become a singularity?

Could be. But then current theories of star formation require other stars, bashing away with all their fusion might, to disturb the equilibrium of the interstellar void in order to start the (for want of a better label) 'solar system formation' process. Otherwise it's just undifferentiated matter swirling through the universe.

On this subject, I cannot resist urging everyone with a sense of wonder to look here
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 23rd-August-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Commercial Operator

Can anyone suggest a crystal that prevents bacterial growth?
    Have you tried salt crystals?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Have you tried salt crystals?
    Preferrably something I can put next to the milk, not in it.

Maybe I should make an aluminium foil pyramid instead, and keep it under that.

Maybe I should make an aluminium foil pyramid instead, and keep it under that.
    Maybe you should just buy a fridge

...in the sense that the cloud that condensed into the solar system would have - since the star would not ignite, there being no fusion - condense into a large dark mass instead, a sufficiently large mass to become a singularity?
    Yes. Except that under current theories, the mass of the solar system would be insufficient to overcome degenerate electron pressure (I think), or degenerate neutron pressure (definitely).

My main point is that as far as I can see, the problem with stellar collapse is not why stars collapse but why they don't. We firstly have fusion keeping them from contracting, then when that stops working we have quantum mechanical effects on the scale of an electron wavelength, and finally QM effects on the scale of a neutron. If my understanding is correct, what is perhaps interesting is that those QM effects would always be enough to prevent collapse if it were not for relativisic effects.

In any event, fusion is a fairly incidental part of the whole thing.

And - hijacking my own thread - I also cannot resist urging everyone to look at this. (Though it is fairly large and dial-up users may want to kill me.)

In the direct centre of the picture, you see a light coloured blob, sort of like an egg pointing right and left. It is thought that that is a gas cloud which is in the process of condensing and that stellar ignition could happen at any time (astronomically speaking). It is denser than the surrounding medium which has been blasted away by the great stars at the bottom right of the picture.

Do we not live an an amazing age, when such pictures can simply be acquired by clicking on a label on the internet, leaving us to marvel at the un-f*cking-believable amazing universe in which we live?

Yes. Except that under current theories, the mass of the solar system would be insufficient to overcome degenerate electron pressure (I think), or degenerate neutron pressure (definitely).

My main point is that as far as I can see, the problem with stellar collapse is not why stars collapse but why they don't. We firstly have fusion keeping them from contracting, then when that stops working we have quantum mechanical effects on the scale of an electron wavelength, and finally QM effects on the scale of a neutron. If my understanding is correct, what is perhaps interesting is that those QM effects would always be enough to prevent collapse if it were not for relativisic effects.

In any event, fusion is a fairly incidental part of the whole thing.
    [Dazed.]
    So are you still saying black holes can be postulated before E=mc²?

Yes, that must be right because all the rest of the solar system is not thought to mass as much as the sun itself, and we need nearly 4 solar masses for a neutron star, never mind a black hole.

I've run out of fresh milk. I bought some yesterday, but it has gone sour already. Actually that's the second time that's happened to me with milk bought from that mini-market shop, so I'm not going back there again. Can anyone suggest a crystal that prevents bacterial growth? I could put some in the fridge with the milk and see if that helps. Will powdered milk work?
    See? You're calmer already...

Thread Information