Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What your bookshelves say about you...

Re: What your bookshelves say about you...

Any librarians out there who want a trip up to Aberdeen to help me sort my many as yet unpacked boxes of assorted (note not random nor eclectic ) books?

I was looking last night, I have about 5 large boxes here, about 10 still in my ex's attic and my Parents have taken (grudingly due to lack of space in my new flat) about the same again back home with them !!

I know I have many cool books to unpack.. i just can't remember what they are !

When i get paid next month I'm getting shelves put up on every available wall.. should save a fortune in heating the room with several feet of paper insulation

What does my book shelf say about me

Hmmmmmm

I can hear it now . . . . . .

"You can't bloody well put shelves up straight!"

Yup thats it exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    uurgh.. languages are not my thing .. a Latin/English dictionary is bad enough.. and English/ French dictionary is worse.. but a Latin/French dictionary ? my brain hurts just thinking about it!

Anyway, words are fuzzy.. they lack precision, one word can have two or more meanings, one meaning can have many words, some words sound alike but are spelt differently, others spelt the same put pronounced differently. No no no.. give me the safe warm precision of numbers any day
    Well, at least we don't need to rely on words that don't exist in order to speak or write our thoughts.

Step forward and take a bow i

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    What does my book shelf say about me

Hmmmmmm

I can hear it now . . . . . .

"You can't bloody well put shelves up straight!"

Yup thats it exactly!
    You silly sod

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Wow? Which God? Proof at last for skeptics everywhere!
    Could somebody ask Him who He fancies in the 3.30 at Haydock Park?

I resemble that comment

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    {SNIP}a couple of French/ English and Latin/English Dictionaries
    Hey, I've got an idea! Lend a French/English and a English/Latin dictionary to Alice and poof! a French/Latin Roundabout Dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Step forward and take a bow i

touché!! True Mathematics may be the language of the universe.. but try using it to order a Big mac and large fries..

anyway.. i prefer being called Π

P

Quote Originally Posted by quiet_flame View Post
    Mao's last dancer. My favorite to read over and over again.
    glad you enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by quiet_flame View Post
    Then quite a lot of my own writing in different notebooks and stuff.
    I never can stick to the one book, because I'll write whenever inspired, usually meaning I don't have my book with me
    Means I end up buying a new note book to write in... and a pen.
    or on random pieces of paper that you find lying around

In perth my spare room had 2 floor to ceiling bookcases and 2 half height bookcases, the contents of these shelves are now in boxes when I packed them to go into storage a year ago there were approx 400 - and I have another 2 boxes that were already in storage at my parents

My collection is wide and varied with a slant toward sciences fiction and sci-fi fantasy and off the top of my head contains the following Anne of green gables part series, Anne McCaffery - all dragon riders and pegaus series, 4? dictionaries of various ages, Asimov, Enid Blyton, 4 bibles, various technical manuals, Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, Antia Blake series, What Katie did series, Snuggle pot and Cuddle pie, Magic Pudding, various auto biographies newest addition being Mao's Last Dancer, Jane Eyre, wuthering heights, Ibsen, harry potter, 'Earth's Children' books by Jean M. Auel, history of finger printing, Alice in Wonderland & through the looking glass, Terry pratchett, Cross Stitch techniques, sewing manuals, Cross Stitch series, Religious essays, historys - mainly early modern europeon but some war that came to me via my dad, cook books, Birthday book, Girls night in collection to name but a few.

I'm on a strict no book diet at the moment - just no space for them in my suit case - which means I am doing a fair bit of borrowing - currently ready Madame Bovary, Einstein in Berlin & Eldest. When I do buy books I buy cheap light reading that I then release using Bookcrossing

I read everyday with out fail as long as I have something to read

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    I'm on a strict no book diet at the moment - just no space for them in my suit case
    Thats the main reason I got a PDA - I can store hundreds of ebooks in a unit smaller than a normal book which has a battery time of several weeks. Something you should seriously consider. Its easy to get a hold of the ebooks - i have many,many gigabytes of ebooks on all manner of subjects including very recent ones. I read the DavInci Code on it (i own the paperback too but its far bulkier). It was hardly worth it for that particular book

Even this pda at £25 would do you - no external memory slot but still room for 10 or so books at a time.

Thats the main reason I got a PDA - I can store hundreds of ebooks in a unit smaller than a normal book which has a battery time of several weeks..
    (most rep worthy tip DS!)

my IPAQ is my emergency travel library. from free ebooks available from HERE or HERE or even commercial ebooks from HERE I have a good 50 or so ebooks on an SD card. from Beowulf and Much Ado about Nothing to Sun Tzu's Art of War and The War of the worlds !!

I often buy ebooks online but remember that most of the non free ones are DRM protected but that's not usually a big problem.. you just can't share them.

Thats the main reason I got a PDA - I can store hundreds of ebooks in a unit smaller than a normal book which has a battery time of several weeks. Something you should seriously consider. Its easy to get a hold of the ebooks - i have many,many gigabytes of ebooks on all manner of subjects including very recent ones. I read the DavInci Code on it (i own the paperback too but its far bulkier). It was hardly worth it for that particular book

Even this pda at £25 would do you - no external memory slot but still room for 10 or so books at a time.
    I have a palm pilot and have read a few books on it - but I don't for it and rarely manage to find free ones that appeal.

plus e-books just aren't the same as a real book - plus bookcrossing is fun I have already had 2 of the books I released captured

Only problem with books on PDA - no bath time reading!

I save a few old scaffy favourites for bath reading as I soak away the strains on a tuesday or saturday night - I couldn't cope otherwise

Whitetiger

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    Only problem with books on PDA - no bath time reading!

I save a few old scaffy favourites for bath reading as I soak away the strains on a tuesday or saturday night - I couldn't cope otherwise
    I disgaree - a normal book is almost impossible to dry out if you drop it in the bath and you cannot turn pages if its sealed in a plastic bag - you Can, and I have done, put a PDA in a sealed watertight bag with no trouble and the buttons are still easy to press

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    I have a palm pilot and have read a few books on it - but I don't for it and rarely manage to find free ones that appeal.
    For ebooks, Project Gutenberg and the australian one are quite a good source. In the Australian site you might be able to find newer stuff since copyright laws are different

I disgaree - a normal book is almost impossible to dry out if you drop it in the bath and you cannot turn pages if its sealed in a plastic bag - you Can, and I have done, put a PDA in a sealed watertight bag with no trouble and the buttons are still easy to press
    You scare me... I have never taken my PDA into the bath with me!

That would be to stop the baby oil getting in, right?

Want to tell us what the titles of some of these books are? Fess up now...

I like to be able to turn pages...
    Sorry, there's something about a dog eared well loved book that a PDA can't replace. Plus... you can't make pretty patterns on the book shelf with a PDA, nor can you stumble upon a book you haven't read in a while just sitting down staring at a pda, letting your eyes wonder, like you can with a bookshelf.
    You have to go hunting through the PDA.
    I've reread many a book becuase I've been sitting back and just been staring at the bookcase...
    I'm usually tired after dancing and moving seems to be a very bad idea thanks to my muscles letting me know they are tired by screaming at me. Sitting and staring blankly was a much better option.
    Last edited by quiet_flame; 22nd-August-2006 at 02:21 AM. Reason: wow fantastic grammar NOT!

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

I disgaree - a normal book is almost impossible to dry out if you drop it in the bath
    I like to live dangerously and take library books to read in the bath.

I can't imagine reading on a PDA, though I can see it makes sense for travelling. Are PDAs any good for propping doors open? Balancing wine glasses on? Swatting flies? Can you throw them across the room if the story's ending is unsatisfactory?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Are PDAs any good for propping doors open? Balancing wine glasses on? Swatting flies? Can you throw them across the room if the story's ending is unsatisfactory?
    A PDA can do all these things. (But you may need a new one after each of these actions.)

However, currently, when you buy a book you are buying an object that can be used in all these ways plus, if you can read, it will give you entertainment and/or knowledge.
    With electronic publishing, the publishers will try to charge you the same price for something that will fulfil only the bonus function (provide entertainment and/or knowledge) of the original technology. They will tell you the door-stopping and spider-swatting functions are hardware, and they are selling only software.
    If you buy two books, you can prop the door with one while reading the other. That is not possible with electronic books.

I say don't buy PDAs and electronic books from your computer or book store.
    In a few years your pest controller should be able to sell you a spider squasher that can also display novels.

If not, stay with books -- one of the most versatile devices ever invented.

Thread Information