Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ceroc membership card

Glasgow, im my lovely little flat that I share with Ali! Photos of it on my bebo. Like Glasgow except the rain LOL

ceroc membership card

my cards hiding in my room somehwere

what happens if i cant find it before class??

thanks x

Re: ceroc membership card

No problems so long as you can remember your name

They type your name into their computer and you're in

Think you might have to pay £1 or £2 these days though. At least you do in London. From the Ceroc London newsletter:

£1 charge for LOST OR FORGOTTEN CARDS
    It is a requirement of our insurers that all members attending our events are properly registered, ie. we maintain a full record of our members’ details. This assures our public liability insurance is valid in the event of any claim made. Ceroc London Venues all have a swipe card system and every member must present their Ceroc Membership Card to have their details validated. An additional charge of £1 will be added to the entry cost for members who forget their card. If you have lost your card and require a replacement card this also will incur a £1 fee.

Rosyth, just over the bridge from Edinburgh

I can't remember the last time I was asked for my membership card in Edinburgh.
    Allan

Dont forget the bit where they parade you up and down after they introduce that taxi dancers.

Ohhhhhh the embarrassment!

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly
    Think you might have to pay £1 or £2 these days though. At least you do in London. From the Ceroc London newsletter:
    I lost mine ages ago but memorised the number so I just give it verbally now!

No change there then

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Thats a good scam - if they have to use the keyboard and type your name in they need paid more - difficult work. Im assuming its because the people on the door are incapable of typing and the £1 goes toward the "standby" keyboard operator who is a bit smarter

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Thats a good scam - if they have to use the keyboard and type your name in they need paid more - difficult work. Im assuming its because the people on the door are incapable of typing and the £1 goes toward the "standby" keyboard operator who is a bit smarter
    Actually, it's a disincentive to people to hold up the lines by making the door person search through the database, either holding up the line, or having to do it afterwards.

It's surprising how long it takes to manually take details from 45 people who all "just forgot their card - it doesn't matter, does it?". It's a real pain in the arse, in fact. Having pay an extra £1 is quite an astonishingly effective aide-memoire, and since nobody forgets any more, nobody has to pay any extra!

Not so sure about that ESG. The swipey bit on my card doesn't work (hasn't for over 6 months), so they have to enter my card details every week. It's my Ceroc mantra "it doesn't swipe". If it was that much of a pain, why haven't they suggested giving me a new card that works?

Hmm, is it normal for venues to have computers at the entry desk these days, then?

The Dashing Moderator

At one time there was talk of a national swipe card system but it only seems to have been implemented in some areas.

What happened to that idea?

At some venues I go to the process seems to consist of them writing down the number from my old (non-swipable) membership card on the official bit of paper. Even where they have a laptop they don't seem to have a swipe reader attached.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear
    Hmm, is it normal for venues to have computers at the entry desk these days, then?
    Erm, in London, yes. Sorry - not danced outside London much. Only in Swindon and that was a year ago nearly and can't remember.

Not so sure about that ESG. The swipey bit on my card doesn't work (hasn't for over 6 months), so they have to enter my card details every week. It's my Ceroc mantra "it doesn't swipe". If it was that much of a pain, why haven't they suggested giving me a new card that works?
    I think that really proves my point about it being related to the actual trouble involved, rather than being simply a dogmatic rule. Since you take along your card the number can be read and typed in with the same effect as swiping - extra time, about 2 seconds. If you don't have a card at all (and don't know your number) then the extra time to track you down by name ('sorry, how do you spell that again? No, I can't see you here ... did you say "U"? oh sorry, "Y" ... And your first name is...?') is about 45 seconds. Which multiplies up to a significant amount of time.

The second thing to consider is that the "£1 extra" rule is a head office thing, and centrally publicised to reduce the stress on the door-staff who are at the blunt end, yet whose individual pleas to members to bring their cards to avoid holding everyone up don't have much effect.

By the way, you can always ask for your card to be replaced, which it should be, for free.

I see what you mean ESG. I just figure that the card will stop working again so haven't bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by J-J
    my cards hiding in my room somehwere

what happens if i cant find it before class??

thanks x
    You say "I'm J-J's twin, and I want to join. You pay a bit extra, but you should get some beginner discount vouchers. This is an especially useful ploy if you fancy one of the Taxi-dancers ...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Actually, it's a disincentive to people to hold up the lines by making the door person search through the database, either holding up the line, or having to do it afterwards.

It's surprising how long it takes to manually take details from 45 people who all "just forgot their card - it doesn't matter, does it?". It's a real pain in the arse, in fact. Having pay an extra £1 is quite an astonishingly effective aide-memoire, and since nobody forgets any more, nobody has to pay any extra!
    Aha a good point, maybe Im just cynical However, why do they need to know who you are at all ? rewards ? then, wheres my loyalty vouchers ? history? then, Wheres the statistics database I can access to see what venues ive been to ? whats in it for ME - huh

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Aha a good point, maybe Im just cynical However, why do they need to know who you are at all ? rewards ? then, wheres my loyalty vouchers ? history? then, Wheres the statistics database I can access to see what venues ive been to ? whats in it for ME - huh
    Actually I think it is more to do with disloyalty vouchers. On a very limited sample size I'd guess that free offers are then most likely to come your way, if you've gone for a 2-3 weeks and stopped coming you start getting offers.

I guess the benefits to the customer probably run to if Ceroc are more profitable they can run more marginal nights.

On the plus side the information could be used for positive things such as to improve the gender balance of venues / nights / help, balance the numbers between nights etc.

Statistics database - thats a really good idea - what I'd really like is to be able to access move details of all classes I've been too.

I've got a really old card - how do I get it updated ? Or can I still use it ??

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    On the plus side the information could be used for positive things such as to improve the gender balance of venues / nights / help, balance the numbers between nights etc.

How would they do that then?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I've got a really old card - how do I get it updated ? Or can I still use it ??
    If it has a magnetic stripe on the back (and a number ending in X on the front) then it's fine. If not, you should be able to exchange it for free at any Ceroc venue.
    How would they do that then?
    I think he means by sending free offers to women for venues that have extra men, for example, and free offers to both men and women to bump up the numbers for quieter evenings. Fairly standard stuff.

Thread Information