Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly women/men don’t get dances

Re: Ugly women/men don’t get dances

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly
    Well clearly you have a universal appeal then... Now accept that compliment gracefully before I banish you to the compliments thread to learn how to accept them!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly
    More seriously, you've got a point there - and thank goodness.
    Makes a change!

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird
    A very wise friend of mine once told me that one persons minger is another persons Adonis. Which kinda proves a point that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is beautiful in different ways and if we were all the same wouldn't life be boring.
    Though I was told fairly recently more or less that all men go for looks, just some won't admit it. Not sure I agree, but what do I know, I'm not a guy.

However, if men are more likely to ask the young, pretty ones to dance, at least I know when they ask me its because a) they're not one of the shallow guys or b) they actually enjoy dancing with me or preferably, c) both.

However, if men are more likely to ask the young, pretty ones to dance, at least I know when they ask me its because a) they're not one of the shallow guys or b) they actually enjoy dancing with me or preferably, c) both.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that Lynn, and I wonder how many of us fit into that category???

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR
    When I was in London, I was very rarely asked to dance by good looking guys, unless I knew them very well. They always asked the other girls over me.
    Oh well - I'm crushed

It doesnt really help with the self esteem, when every one gets asked before you and you are only asked because you are the only person left, but even then sometimes have a person say they are too tired, sitting this one out etc etc... to avoid dancing with the short, cuddly one.
    F*** that - I miss dancing with you
    however, all said and done, you do slowly get used to being the comedy side kick.
    Not in this lifetime

Christopher

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Though I was told fairly recently more or less that all men go for looks, just some won't admit it. Not sure I agree, but what do I know, I'm not a guy.
    But surely you've noticed that, on those evenings when your hair's gone just right, you're complexions at its best, you're wearing sexy clothes, you know you're looking good, that you get far more dances than when you chuck on a pair of jeans & a t-shirt, you're having a bad hair day, you've got a huge spot on your chin and you're having a fat day?

I know that I get asked to dance alot more now than I did a year ago, when I was 2 and a half stone heavier! My dancing hasn't really improved that much, in fact, if anything, since I got more into Lindy my Jive has probably suffered, but something is obviously making me a far more appealing prospect as a dance partner to all the men out there!

I also get asked alot more now by men who don't know me, and they can't possibly be asking me for my dancing ability, seeing as they don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    I also get asked alot more now by men who don't know me, and they can't possibly be asking me for my dancing ability, seeing as they don't know what it is.
    They know what they see. I've often been asked by strangers who have passed comments on havng seen me dancing with someone else earlier, or even the night before (at weekend events). I presume they thought I danced OK and decided to ask me based on that. Well I hope so.

TiggsTours

I remember once, years ago, seeing a thing on TV where a brunette woman wanted to find out if it was true what they say about blondes, firstly that they have more fun, but also that they do not get taken seriously, and are treated like they are stupid. She was adamant that she would prove it all to be a loads of codswallop, but by then end of it she had to agree. She struggled far more in situations where she would not normally have struggled (i.e. taking the car to the garage, and being told all sorts of things needed doing that didn't) but then found she got alot more attention from men when out socially, even those men who insisted they weren't chatting her up!

Similar experiments have been carried out with men dressing as women, and vice versa, everyone I've seen always shows that those stereo-typical treatments of a particular type of person have been true, no matter how much we hate it.

Stereo-typically, men will pay more attention to a young attractive woman than to an older, less attractive woman, no matter what each has to offer.

Stereo-typically, women will pay more attention to a confident man who can keep her entertained (good or bad, usually bad), no matter what he looks like. there are many things that lead to confidence in a man, looks being just one, but if a man is not good looking, and can dance, he will always get more attention at a dance venue than a man who looks like Brad Pitt, but can't dance for toffee!

I agree with the above post.

When I first started dancing I was a size 16 already loosing 4/6 dress sizes at my biggest i was a size 22 and I had dark brown hair, peoples attitude is very different now i'm the size I am and blond.

Also it was amazing the difference in men's attitude to me when i had my new boobs, there were men asking me to dance that had never asked me before say things like 'where do you normally dance I haven't seen you hear before' its obviously wasn't my face they were looking at.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch
    I had dark brown hair,
    You're not a natural blonde?

when i had my new boobs,
    They're not yours?

"They say hey little boy you can't go
    Where the others go
    'Cause you don't look like they do
    Said hey old man how can you stand
    To think that way
    Did you really think about it
    Before you made the rules
    He said, Son

That's just the way it is
    Some things will never change
    That's just the way it is
    But don't you believe them"

~ Bruce Hornsby

Dance in beauty,
    Christopher

When I first started dancing I was a size 16 already loosing 4/6 dress sizes at my biggest i was a size 22 and I had dark brown hair, peoples attitude is very different now i'm the size I am and blond.

Also it was amazing the difference in men's attitude to me when i had my new boobs, there were men asking me to dance that had never asked me before say things like 'where do you normally dance I haven't seen you hear before' its obviously wasn't my face they were looking at.

I cannot understand how any man could not remember a six foot tall blond woman with the figure of Jessica Rabitt. Besides after you had gone to so much trouble and spent so much on them it might be considered rude NOT to look at them. They do a fantastic job of stopping your fab strapless dresses from falling down but trying to pretend that that you haven't noticed them is a bit like trying to pretend that you haven't noticed an elephant eating yogurt in your kitchen.

BTW I knew Fletch before she had her new boobs and she was just as mad then.

On Topic. When I Started dancing I was being asked to dance all the time. I also found myself being invited to Xmas dinner and dances by ladies as a dance companion only to find her collegues asking where her husband was. The explanation was "hubby doesn't dance so I left him at home".

In the past few years I rarely get asked to dance at my local venues. I am not sure if it is because I am obviously happily partnered, have gotten significantly uglier in the past few years, or if I am just getting a worse dancer.

If there is a choice of dancers to ask and one looks happy and the other has a face like thunder I will ask the one that looks happy. I would choose dance ability over looks every time but mostly I dance with people that I like. Some I like for their dance ability, some I like for their personality, and for some its both.

I am not going to pretend that looking at pretty women is not a joy for me but I can do that from a seat without the bother of having to think about dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird

It applies to everyone, A very wise friend of mine once told me that one persons minger is another persons Adonis. Which kinda proves a point that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is beautiful in different ways and if we were all the same wouldn't life be boring.

*steps down off soap box*
    I love soapboxes. Actually I find the use of the word "Ugly" in this thread offensive. I would never think of categorising anybodies appearance in that way. I just do not tnink of any of the ladies in that fashion. I have no difficulty in calling some ladies Gorgeous or beautiful etc., but there are several ladies that I would describe thus that I will not ask to dance.

I must agree with Fletch about where some me look, however I am an eye man, they can smile or hold dark mysteries!!!

[QUOTE=Chef].

BTW I knew Fletch before she had her new boobs and she was just as mad then.

QUOTE]

I was just as normal when I was a much larger lady to

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think we're missing one crucial fact in all this.... of course women will go for the better dancers above what they look like, cos they're generally the one's who lead and therefore determine how pleasurable the experience is and how well we're able to perform too.

Also, i'm not totally sticking up for the all the men we've labelled as shallow but I can see from their point of view, that it really doesn't matter to them as much if we're that good or not, they can still get a decent dance and maybe even an added ego boost, if they pick a girl who's not been dancing very long, as they're more easily impressed.

So, why wouldn't they go for the one's they fancy?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    So men are shallow and women see the inner beauty? Hmmm, maybe.
    There are genetic predispositions. Regretfully, the female genetic predispositions I've seen in research aren't much better than the male ones. As I recall, they include assets (eg money/car/house), popularity with other women, and fighting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    If men are more likely to ask the young, pretty ones to dance, at least I know when they ask me its because a) they're not one of the shallow guys or b) they actually enjoy dancing with me or preferably, c) both.
    Or they want to prove how unshallow they are to the young, pretty ones?

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Oh and for good looking above average dancers - try Jango (and Greenwich / Bow )
    Really, I dance there every week and there is no man that floats my boat there. Lots of very very nice people and some good dancers but no-one that makes me

But then..............
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise Witty One
    A very wise friend of mine once told me that one persons minger is another persons Adonis. Which kinda proves a point that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is beautiful in different ways and if we were all the same wouldn't life be boring
    This is soo true

Quote Originally Posted by WB
    I guess maybe men are more shallow

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Or they want to prove how unshallow they are to the young, pretty ones?
    ...or possibly

(Are men really that clever though?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil
    Really, I dance there every week and there is no man that floats my boat there. Lots of very very nice people and some good dancers but no-one that makes me
    And the crushing feeling continues....

I was thinking more of ladies but,

I'll let you tell Penny and Bagpuss that their other halves aren't good looking. As for Amir not being good looking, I suspect one or two ladies may disagree with you....

Be Well,
    Christopher

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why oh why oh why do these threads always turn into fishing expeditions?

You're all ugly. OK?

David NoDances, they'll call me...

Thread Information