Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macbook v's Macbook Pro

Commercial Operator

Re: Macbook v's Macbook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by quiet_flame View Post
    I haven't invested in Aperture yet... thinking about it... but worried about the processing power required, I don't think my little Ibook is up to it.
    I'd say forget about Aperture for the time being. If you haven't already, nab the free beta for Adobe Lightroom - Adobe's Aperture-killer.

Been using it a while - and it's a stunning piece of software. And it's free until the end of January

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Speed - nice. Tried a few applications (iPhoto, Garageband, iMove) - only had time for a few things, but they seemed as snappy and responsive as on my dual G5 monster back home.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264
    Keyboard - beautiful. A lot nicer in feel than the Macbook Pro. Who needs backlighting anyway?

Screen. For the extra screen resolution, the pro wins there.

So there you go. I honestly think that about the only obvious advantage of the pro is the increased screen size. Both are gorgeous machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Trust me, if you are thinking of using it for dj-ing, the back lit keyboard can be incredibly, wonderfully, fantastically useful.
    Wot? 'aven't you eva 'erd o' "tuch taypin'?"
    It's the latest fad

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Thanks quiet_flame, I've been quite impressed by the ibooks that some of the folk I work beside own.
    Mac out of the box is definately better.
    I've found when it comes to drag and drop ability between all the different media types, Mac has outdone pretty much every other program combination I've used. Lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmjd
    Thanks very much for the field report Straycat

Very informative, looking forward to having a play myself, once I have a little bit more money towards actually getting one, otherwise I'm taunting myself aren't I?
    Last edited by quiet_flame; 17th-August-2006 at 03:44 PM. Reason: quote fix

otherwise I'm taunting myself aren't I?
    Just a bit

I'm so proud my first thread and it's got onto two pages

Once i get my new toy I'll let you know what it's like, just have to wait a few weeks.

I'd say forget about Aperture for the time being. If you haven't already, nab the free beta for Adobe Lightroom - Adobe's Aperture-killer.

Been using it a while - and it's a stunning piece of software. And it's free until the end of January
    *sigh*
    I'd love to trial it,
    believe me I tried! but sadly, my little Ibook cannot.
    I need more processing power... and memory to get that program running.

I'll send it to Robert, he'l probably trial it and let me know.

thanks for the heads up.

Q_Flame
    Last edited by quiet_flame; 17th-August-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Commercial Operator

*sigh*
    I'd love to trial it, but sadly, my little Ibook cannot.
    I need more processing power... and memory to get that program running.

I'll send it to Robert, he'l probably trial it and let me know.

thanks for the heads up.

Q_Flame
    Shame - the requirements are substantially less than for Aperture as well. (My own beast of a Mac barely reaches the recommended Aperture specs)

Shame - the requirements are substantially less than for Aperture as well. (My own beast of a Mac barely reaches the recommended Aperture specs)
    Well, I might be able to trial it soon...
    I'll spend $300AU and get the 1Gb of memory (or RAM if you want to be slightly technical) Shouldn't have any problems from there.

Of course, that does require me to have $300AU just lying around.
    I'm thinking I either need another job, or start working some more hours here, so I can afford all the toys I want.

I probably should think about getting a car as well...
    So if my bike breaks down (again) I will still be able to go dancing and to my DJ gigs. (when my employer gets off his lazy butt and actually launches his new site to include all his DJ's. )

Hmm... so much to do, so much money to spend. So little of it in my account. What to do, what to do.

Hmm... so much to do, so much money to spend. So little of it in my account. What to do, what to do.
    join the world of 60+ hour weeks and 2 jobs

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo Breath
    *quiet_flame doubles over panting from being out of breath, he looks up, sees the
    60+ hour weeks and two jobs,
    turns and runs in to the horizon. The rest of the forum can hear is a faint screaming....
    Never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never!

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

John Lewis in Edinburgh has the Black MacBook at £999, 30 pounds cheaper than Apple retail price, but I'm still not convinced about the shiny screen.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo Breath
    *quiet_flame doubles over panting from being out of breath, he looks up, sees the turns and runs in to the horizon. The rest of the forum can hear is a faint screaming....
    Never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never!
    Oh dear I didn't mean to do that

*dashes after Quiet_Flame*

It's not that bad really it's not really it's not

after 3 months of way to much work - with a little careful planning will get to spend the better part of the next 3 months not working and travelling to new and interesting places *HAPPY DANCE*

Quote Originally Posted by azande View Post
    John Lewis in Edinburgh has the Black MacBook at £999, 30 pounds cheaper than Apple retail price, but I'm still not convinced about the shiny screen.
    Thanks for the tip, never had a glossy screen before. They do look good but just depends on the lighting environment I guess. Will have a good nosey at one in John Lewis soon but will be getting it through work with a handy educational discount There are some benefits to being a bumbling academic after all

I'd also opt for the MacBook if I were you. From the sounds of it you are not too fuzzed about grunty gfx, so onboard will be fine. Size is something that is paramount for a 'portable' computer and for that very reason I'd always go for as small as possible while still being useful. If you use it at home then you'll be better off getting a bigger screen to plug into your laptop. Not only will separate screens be of better display quality than laptop screen, they are also cheaper ... significantly cheaper. And when you are on the road then you will quickly learn to appreciate a tiny form factor.

Either way, I would also recommend to wait till Leopard is out. By then you will get a new processor, a new revision with iron-out flaws and the new OS That is my plan anyway. Until then my 12" iBook will have to survive and and will do just fine.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Either way, I would also recommend to wait till Leopard is out. By then you will get a new processor, a new revision with iron-out flaws and the new OS That is my plan anyway. Until then my 12" iBook will have to survive and and will do just fine.

Mmmmm. Leopard....

As I don't have a computer at home at the moment, I don't think I'll be able to wait for leopard in springtime, though will probably upgrade to it when it's released. I am going to wait for the core2 duo chips that are rumoured to be getting put into both Macbook & Macbook Pro. The first stepping of these chips do have errors but I don't think I'll be able to wait until the next one

So just waiting until the announcement for core2 duo chips in a Macbook and it'll be credit card at the ready Paris expo in September seems a likely date

Thread Information