Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The role of the Taxi dancer

Originally posted by thewacko
    I would now love to go, infact I believe he's now at Hipsters or something, and try his classes again
    He is indeed - on Wednesdays.

Well worth it. The classes are usually quite manageable, though there's invariably something tricky in there.

Careful tho... it's a non-smoking venue

Chris

Originally posted by Gadget
    Erm... I think you missunderstood: what I mean is that most "intermediate" moves are just a collection of "beginner" moves strung together - I would class these as "beginner" moves as well (but needing a better memory).
    Sounds like the "easy" end of intermediate to me.

I have encountered a several moves that the lady tries to lead from what they have seen on stage, as opposed to what I'm leading {That sounds wrong: I am leading the move shown on stage, but they are just moving where they think they should be, regardless of what I'm doing}
    This is very common. However, as your lead improves, you'll find that, mysteriously, so does their following.

If you assume that you are 100% at fault, 100% of the time (even if you're not, which you mostly will be ), you will find that you'll improve far quicker. Take me for example - someday I hope to even get beyond "amoeba" level

Chris

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)
    Originally posted by ChrisA
    He is indeed - on Wednesdays.

Well worth it. The classes are usually quite manageable, though there's invariably something tricky in there.

Careful tho... it's a non-smoking venue

Chris
    well beware all at Hipsters, the Tazmanian Devil and The Wacko are about to pounce, but dont worry too much, as emma may be coming as well in which case we wont dare try and smoke inside the venue

plus it will be in two or three weeks anyway. This should give you all time to find a different venue so you don't have to meet us

I have heard Charlton is good on a Wednesday night

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)
    going back to the question of "the role of a taxi dancer"

Is it me, or does this happen to you lot out in computer land as well, when I am at a different venue to the ones I taxi at, I cant help but watch how other taxi dancers re-act in their classes.

The other monday i was at a venue where I saw a male beginner struggling (he was obviously a new beginner) The male taxi dancer was too busy trying to show the rest of the class the ropes - and I am not slagging him off for this, just making an observation - and the female taxi was also rather busy - there were a lot of beginners that night - I had an irristable urge to jump in and help, but pulled myself short as it wasn't my class, and went to the female taxi and pointed out the struugling beginner who then hopefully went to his aid.

Is it true - once a taxi always a taxi.

I had an irristable urge to jump in and help, but pulled myself short as it wasn't my class, and went to the female taxi and pointed out the struugling beginner who then hopefully went to his aid. Is it true - once a taxi always a taxi.
    So true - but I think you did the good thing. The taxi-dancer with the teashirt on has an accepted role in the eyes of the beginner and there's an automatic teacher-pupil (or helper-beginner) type relationship. Taxi-dancers not on duty can be encouraging but only just as another one of the dancers, generally.

I remember Obi (at Stockbridge Edinburgh) when he had finished the beginners class and I was taxiing, would come and ask me to point out all the people who were knew that night so he could seek them out and help them. I've never forgotten his conscienciousness, and it was a great help those nights when the taxi dancers were a bit over-worked. One night when the duty taxi dancers weren't there, I heard he took the (taxi) consolidation class as well as the beginners and intermediates - that sort of devotion is quite moving I think.

(Going off the topic slightly but I thought it was worth mentioning.)

Unregistered
    Male taxi dancers are great for us female beginners but I have recently attended a class with my husband who was cerocing for the first time and there was no female taxi dancer. This led to a very uncomfortable night as my very nervous very unconfident husband felt very left out. Made worse by an inconsiderate experienced female dancer who asked him to dance. At first pleased with the offer of a dance at last he was literallyn left standing as he decided to be clear that he was a beginner only to be left standing alone on the dance floor mid track.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    I have heard Charlton is good on a Wednesday night

Mmmmm I will have to agree with you there

posted to a songwriting forum:

A taxi dancer is the name Ceroc (Tm) Modern Jive dance gives to dancers who get free admission for helping beginners for part of an evening. There are usually three or four on duty, male and female. They actually mostly do it for love of the dance, and the joys of teaching.

To a Latin beat.

The Taxi Dancers Lament
    --------------------------

Mr Right is home alone
    in front of his TV
    Mr Right all on your own
    please come and dance with me

Mr Right doesn't like fast wimmen
    drugs and booze and lots of sinning
    No, Mr Right is sitting there
    in front of his TV

Somehow I must find a way to let my music reach him
    He thinks that he cannot dance, but I'm the one to teach him

Mr Right
    he's not too bright
    but one fine night
    he'll get it right
    He'll learn to dance
    and at last my love
    will take it's chance to reach him

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by bigdjiver
    posted to a songwriting forum:

A taxi dancer is the name Ceroc (Tm) Modern Jive dance gives to dancers who get free admission for helping beginners for part of an evening. There are usually three or four on duty, male and female. They actually mostly do it for love of the dance, and the joys of teaching.

To a Latin beat.

The Taxi Dancers Lament
    --------------------------

Mr Right is home alone
    in front of his TV
    Mr Right all on your own
    please come and dance with me

Mr Right doesn't like fast wimmen
    drugs and booze and lots of sinning
    No, Mr Right is sitting there
    in front of his TV

Somehow I must find a way to let my music reach him
    He thinks that he cannot dance, but I'm the one to teach him

Mr Right
    he's not too bright
    but one fine night
    he'll get it right
    He'll learn to dance
    and at last my love
    will take it's chance to reach him
    Thats fantasic! Nice one!

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    he decided to be clear that he was a beginner only to be left standing alone on the dance floor mid track.
    Very disheartening, and I thought it was only men that behaved that badly! Those first few weeks are really the hardest part to get through, and I hope something like this is extremely rare. I hope he won't be too discouraged by this, you need at least 6 sessions before you can properly decide whether or not to carry on.

Greg

Male taxi dancers are great for us female beginners but I have recently attended a class with my husband who was cerocing for the first time and there was no female taxi dancer. This led to a very uncomfortable night as my very nervous very unconfident husband felt very left out. Made worse by an inconsiderate experienced female dancer who asked him to dance. At first pleased with the offer of a dance at last he was literallyn left standing as he decided to be clear that he was a beginner only to be left standing alone on the dance floor mid track.
    I'm very sorry to hear about someone being so inconsiderate - I hope you can persuade your husband to persevere, as at most venues this type of behaviour is rare. If you do come along as a couple, please remember that in the event of there not being a female (or male) taxi dancer available, the taxi dancer who is there will be able to work with you as a couple, so there should never be no help at all. And even if you go on your own, please don't hesitate to ask for help from a taxi of the "wrong" gender - if nothing else we will be able to identify willing partners for you, both for a revision lesson and for freestyle.

At first pleased with the offer of a dance at last he was literallyn left standing as he decided to be clear that he was a beginner only to be left standing alone on the dance floor mid track.
    Yep had this happen to me when I was starting out. Not very nice, if someones asks you to dance the least they could do is see it through to the end. Have to say this was in a busy London venue and after that my confidence was dented and I always avoided the lady in question. Then after 2 years of dancing I recently saw her dancing and this is going to sound really awful but oh my god was she terrible and I now look at her in a different light, brings a smile to my face every time.

Taxiing last night

I was taxiing last night at Twickenham, and I had such a lovely time.

We've been ousted from our normal venue for a month, so we're in a local pub's functions room. We have no space for a beginners review, so the intermediates class is being pitched just a little way beyond beginners, and the beginners are being encouraged to stay for it. The room is a bit on the small side, so it's a bit cosy.

The beginner girls are a real bunch of sweethearts, trying hard and loving it, despite lacking confidence. There's one who's quite a natural, and always seems to exude a "I can't quite believe I'm doing this" feeling. There's another who is quite a bit better than average, but spends a lot of time beating herself up for not being perfect - after five weeks ...

They're doing really well, and it feels a real privilege to be able to contribute a little to it. I get such a kick out of working with beginners, I just had to post...

Chris

Thread Information