Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The role of the Taxi dancer

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Thought last night's taxi dancers were both okay, although both of their time-keeping skills were indifferent with neither being there for the doors opening with the fist arriving after 30 or 40 other folk had with the other pitching up after 3 moves of the beginners class and not having a clue who were new and who weren't.

I would admit that they both did a fair job when they were there with the boy making the effort to take some of the beginners out of the hall and to the side to go through all that had been taught.

Re: Re: Re: > The role of the Taxi dancer

Originally posted by Chicklet
    now if we could only do something about the violent tendancies of the OFF duty ones, we might have a nice night
    you didn't look too badly bruised at the end of the night
    probably lucky that more of them didn't turn up

grant

Originally posted by Grant
    you could always ask someone who will give an honest opinion
    Now why would I want to spoil my illusions of grandure?

Originally posted by Gadget
    Now why would I want to spoil my illusions of grandure?
    i take it you won't want graham or heather correcting your spelling either then?

grant

i take it you won't want graham or heather correcting your spelling either then?
    Just because the dictionary miss-spell's words, dosn't mean I have to ...

Originally posted by Gadget
    Just because the dictionary miss-spell's words, dosn't mean I have to ...
    well don't stop there gadget, write your own dictionary
    better still start your own religion, it worked for Ron L Hubbard

grant

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    well don't stop there gadget, write your own dictionary
    better still start your own religion, it worked for Ron L Hubbard
    indeed. The man was a disturbed genius - hes been dead for years but was convinced he'd come back - hes got a fortune waiting for him and thousands of disciples some very, very rich .

Taxi dancers have a specific enough place in the world that they could easily start a religion or at least start off with a minor cult .
    From now on refer to Taxi dancers as "The Priests of Ceroc" or alternatively just "The Brethren".

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Taxi dancers have a specific enough place in the world that they could easily start a religion or at least start off with a minor cult .
    From now on refer to Taxi dancers as "The Priests of Ceroc" or alternatively just "The Brethren".
    Wouldn't the teachers fit the "priest" role better? I think we're more altar boys/girls.
    Isn't "The Brethren" a bit sexist? What about girl taxis?

Originally posted by Graham
    What about girl taxis?
    The coven?

Wouldn't the teachers fit the "priest" role better? I think we're more altar boys/girls.
    Quite right. And franchisees are the bishops, and Mike Ellard is the new Pope.

Neil

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Neil
    and Mike Ellard is the new Pope.
    So that explains the white smoke machine at the Casbah

Originally posted by Aleks
    The coven?
    How appropriate.............

Isn't "The Brethren" a bit sexist? What about girl taxis?
    "The Sistern"? (flushed with pride, no doubt)

(OK, OK, Heather, I do know the correct spelling!!)

Re: Re: > The role of the Taxi dancer

Originally posted by Dave Hancock
    As I have already said previously in this thread there are some exceptions to the rule and I believe that Glasgow has one or two very good taxi dancers, although as a whole the standard is again in my opinion not as good as other venues and it was interesting that the likes of Graham (a Glasgow taxi dancer himself agreed with this point).

Have discussed this also with several of the more experienced Glasgow dancers face to face and they also agree.

As regards being flavour of the month with taxi dancers, I would hope that they shall not take the huff just for viewing an opinion which is what the forum is for. I may even be lucky enough to get a dance with one or two of them, although I shall wait till after ten to ten when they come 'off duty' in order to ask them, which is yet another thing which many of the Glasgow taxi dancers don't seem to adhere to.

Ouch! Huff?! No more like "let me just go into a corner and make me miserable :0(" I have just finished my stint as a taxi dancer which I have enjoyed and I should add, carried out because I love dancing and get a kick out of seeing a newbie become a fully fledged happy cerocer. I'm not the greatest of dancers, life away from Ceroc is busy (yup the day job!) so I don't get to many additional classes and I have never received any additional dance training for TDs. Turning up late can be down to rushing back from the job or having travelled at speed from the other side of the country! If newbies come in they are pointed out to us all. When the hall is empty at the beginning, many look extremely uncomfortable if aproached - I personnally suss them out first before approaching - I do remember what it was like being new to it all!

But .... I have to stress... so far I've not had anyone say to me that I was so bad that I should rethink my role as TD. I've received many positive comments from folk who have relied on my patience, cheery humour and ability to boost their confidence to help them on their way. You know, it's a shame that there are such strong feelings against what seems to be most of the Glasgow taxi dancers. I heard about these posts through other dancers - I don't always have time to read what is going on. It saddens me that we have to find out these comments through posts and not through constructive chats with the dancers who obviously feel so strongly about it. I look upon Ceroc as a big community (and not just online).

As for TDs sitting around chatting, there are many newbies who like to have sit down and a breather for a while and politely say no when asked if they would like to dance. We do ask them!!! if the evening is quiet and no newbies need us we tend to stick to the "dont dance with any intermediates" till 9.45. There are occasions when, if it is acceptable, we will get up and dance (always checking to make sure no one is waiting). So there... that's my bits worth.

I told many of the regulars and newbies that last week was my last stint at TD. I turned up this week (Wed) and received many "oh good we get to dance again then". I may be crap but I still get em goin! !! I fully intend to carry on dancing for the next couple of months or until my impending arrival allows me! So Dave, fancy a dance then? Take it easy though ... :0)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    I danced with a taxi dancer, and they kept their meter running when i popped to the bathroom

is it customary to tip ?

Nice

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    I taxi at Greenwich with thewaco I have only been taxi officially for a few weeks. Although used to help out now and again at welling.

I have found that the beginners are so tense but with plenty of smiles and having a good laugh with them as well as teaching them the beginners moves they soon start to relax and enjoy themselves. Oh and thewaco does some fantastis personal hygine talks!!

As we always say at the beginning of our taxi class,

rule no1 ceroc is fun

thewaco

What's this?

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    Originally posted by tubby
    thewaco

What's this?
    He is my taxi partner who goes by the name thewaco on this forum Sorry I wasn't very clear in my message

Rule no1 ceroc is fun

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)
    Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil

As we always say at the beginning of our taxi class,

rule no1 ceroc is fun
    Oy thats my line

I have taxied at Charlton and now also at Greenwich, and find that the "punters" in most cases need putting at ease, especially the very new ones.

I always start the session by telling them that they are not going to get an intense class like they have just had with the teacher, and here is where my line comes from "Rule no. 1 Ceroc is Fun".

I will try and have a laugh with them whilst guiding them, wherever possible, but it is up to the individual taxi dancer to help the student dancers the way they feel fit, as each session can be completely different dependant on how new the dancers are and what sort of people they are . . . am I rambling or what!

Taxi lessons! are they a myth that would probably be a good idea, but not from Ceroc HQ - that would be too formal, but a ceroc taxi workshop from the venue which would keep it informal, after all we taxi dancers are not teachers but elder brothers ( especially big bro who got knocked back by london ceroc ) and sisters or friends of the beginners.

Thread Information