Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand luggage

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Hand luggage

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    In your dreams!
    Shucks, I guess I'm just too transparent. Which is, incidentally, the next thing they'll probably expect of us...

Donna

I've just heard about this now. How frustrating! Mind you, if that's the steps they have to take to save hundreds of lives then so be it. I know it makes things a little complicated, but there are other ways around it.

No water is a big issue - especially for longer flights - with the cost and availibility of water to buy on the flight. And of course you need water if you want to take medication. I always drink water when flying.
    Water shouldn't cost you anything on the flight except for bottled water. It's vital that everybody drinks plenty of fluids on board and so there should be no problem getting free cups of water.

No mobile phones is an even bigger problem. I usually call/text whoever I am meeting to say if my flight is delayed - but I won't be able to.
    All you can do is jot down all the important numbers on a piece of paper, and use a pay phone if you ever need to contact somebody to let them know you're ok.

With people having to put all their valuables in the hold there will be a higher risk of theft.
    That's true - but if you buy a suitcase that has locks fitted to it should be ok. Actually coming to think of it.... what the hell do you do with the keys now????

I wouldn't mind too much about having to check on hand baggage, if I was allowed to take a book, water and my mobile.
    They've been checking hand baggage for years, and if this is the action they need to take then it obviously doesn't work every time. Worrying...

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    That's true - but if you buy a suitcase that has locks fitted to it should be ok.
    Are you still allowed to check locked cases? I thought that was banned ages ago.

OK so all your valuables have to go straight into your luggage.

And when you are flying over to the States I've been told you aren't supposed to keep your suitcase locked so that they can search it (and if it is locked they reserve the right to break the lock open)

Why not just paint "steal from me" on the side of your suitcase?

I take it my other really cynical thought of "can I not just smuggle my wallet on the plane on my person" is compeltely defeating the purpose of these measures

It does just seem like a bit of an over reaction to me.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    This is worse than I thought! I didn't realise the restrictions were so tight (just heard it on the car radio and didn't get many details). No water is a big issue - especially for longer flights - with the cost and availibility of water to buy on the flight.
    Not allowing any water on a long-haul flight would contravene Health and Safety rules in this country, as it increases the risk of deep vein thrombosis. Although you may not be able to take water on the plane, you can get it on the plane, so, you have to ring the air-hostesses buzzer 20 times to get a piddly little cup of water (you could always ask her for 2), better that than being on a plane that gets blown up mid-flight!

No mobile phones is an even bigger problem. I usually call/text whoever I am meeting to say if my flight is delayed - but I won't be able to.
    Whoever is picking you up could always check with the airport for delays before setting off to pick you up. You shouldn't be switching on your plane until you've been through passport control anyway, so you could call them as soon as you collect your luggage.

I wouldn't mind too much about having to check on hand baggage, if I was allowed to take a book, water and my mobile.
    Anything could be hidden inside a hollowed out book, unless they search every book that goes through too. Water bottles can easily be filled with flamable liquid, and they believe that mobile phones can be used to detonate devices. I will happily leave all of those in the hold, if it means I arrive safely at my destination.

OK, so its all b****y irritating, all seems a little extreme, but instead of giving the people who are trying to protect us from harm a hard time for bringing in these extreme levels of security, why not direct the anger at those who deserve it, those who are trying to kill innocent people, and allow those who are trying to protect us to just get on with their jobs!

None of this is directed at you personally, Lynn, I just used your posting as it covered everything that everyone else was saying.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Are you still allowed to check locked cases? I thought that was banned ages ago.
    As far as I know it's not allowed. How much longer until it is though? All I can say is I'm sure most people would much prefer to stay put in the dull UK rather than put up with this *****.

People can be cynical if they want to about it being a big scare story to try and justify ID cards, defence expenditure, etc. But if there is the suspicion that there is a credible threat would anyone rather wait until planes start coming down in the Atlantic before anyone started to even attempt to do something?

A while ago there was an attempt to bring a plane down over the pacific. The explosive was in liquid form and was concealed in a bottle of contact lens solution. Once aboard the bomber rigged a timer from the wrist watch that he was wearing and put the device in the luggage net under his seat. He then left the plane to make its forward journey over the pacific. His plan would probably succeed if he had not miscalculated the seat position and had placed the bomb over the fuel tank as was the intention. This was scant comfort to the passenger in that seat that ended up being blown in half. Explosives CAN be in liquid form, or paste, disguised as toothpaste etc. Timers can be everyday items such as wristwatches, mobile phones etc.

Explosives themselves are not required. Simply spraying a highly inflammable liquid, or the propellant gas from something such as hairspray or any other spray can and then igniting the gas cloud would give an unconfined gas cloud explosion that would most definitely result in the plane coming down. Such a thing happened by accident in a persons house when an electrical fault on a CD player caused it to catch fire and over heat a can of hairspray which was on top of it which burst and ignited. The resulting explosion lifted the entire 14 tons of roof trusses and concrete tiles off of the house and they came back down 4 inched displaced to one side. Since CFC were banned as propellant gases butane or propane has been used as the propellants in spray cans.

So before we start whining about how the security restrictions are going to make life uncomfortable and inconvenient just think about how having 4 minutes of freefall from 30,000 feet into the Atlantic Ocean would ruin your day.

A lot of people are trying their best to make your life as safe as possible and reduce your discomfort and inconvenience levels as much as possible. Not all of them are going to get things absolutely right – but they will be trying their best under the same difficult circumstances that have been forced on us all.

My mother told me that part of the reason that the British got through the blitz was that it is part of the British character that when things get tough then we get on with things as best we can and pulled together to help each other. I do hope we haven't lost that as a national character trait

Edited beacuse Tiggstrours has just said it before me.
    Last edited by Chef; 10th-August-2006 at 10:54 AM.

I'm positive you are (again may just be being cynical)

But the wee locks that they put on these cases have the same keys for dozens of cases. My bf used to work at Heathrow, and their security manager there showed him this huge collection of suitcase keys that they could use to break into cases if they wanted.

(Note to self - invest in huge secruity device for my case - that won't make it look suspicious.... )

TiggsTours

I've never left a case unlocked, not even on trans-atlantic flights, there has never been any issue.

Even when backpacking on trans-atlantic flights, when everyone looks at you like you're an international drugs smuggler, all they ever did was ask me to unlock my case, they'd search it, then they'd ask me to lock it again.

Donna

Not allowing any water on a long-haul flight would contravene Health and Safety rules in this country, as it increases the risk of deep vein thrombosis.

Although you may not be able to take water on the plane, you can get it on the plane, so, you have to ring the air-hostesses buzzer 20 times to get a piddly little cup of water (you could always ask her for 2), better that than being on a plane that gets blown up mid-flight!
    Just 2?! No. Make that however many cups make up 2 litres!!

Whoever is picking you up could always check with the airport for delays before setting off to pick you up. You shouldn't be switching on your plane until you've been through passport control anyway, so you could call them as soon as you collect your luggage.

IF you get your luggage back that is.

OK, so its all b****y irritating, all seems a little extreme, but instead of giving the people who are trying to protect us from harm a hard time for bringing in these extreme levels of security, why not direct the anger at those who deserve it, those who are trying to kill innocent people, and allow those who are trying to protect us to just get on with their jobs!
    Well said TT. I'd rather choose to go through all this hassle than worry about being blown to pieces. Makes you wonder what other plans they might have up their sleeves though - maybe something that we have no control over.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    My mother told me ...
    It's a times like this that I wish I'd listened to what my mother told me.
    it is part of the British character that when things get tough...
    I don't think things have even started to get remotely tough yet!

... So before we start whining about how the security restrictions are going to make life uncomfortable and inconvenient just think about how having 4 minutes of freefall from 30,000 feet into the Atlantic Ocean would ruin your day.

A lot of people are trying their best to make your life as safe as possible and reduce your discomfort and inconvenience levels as much as possible. Not all of them are going to get things absolutely right – but they will be trying their best under the same difficult circumstances that have been forced on us all....
    I get your point, the possible downside of not having seecurity restrictions and I don't have a problem with them being put into place, nor am I going to give security or airline staff a hard time. But I'm certainly not looking forward to flying this time, when normally I do - curl up with a book, think, plan, write down ideas etc. Ho hum. At least I should have a good time when I get there ... and if I arrive without luggage, will have a great excuse for not having done my 'homework'.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

So before we start whining about how the security restrictions are going to make life uncomfortable and inconvenient just think about how having 4 minutes of freefall from 30,000 feet into the Atlantic Ocean would ruin your day.
    Its hardly "whining" to complain about restrictions that increase paranoia and restrict basic liberties. Where does it end - 2 weeks of security checks before you're allowed on a flight. Mind you, the green lobby would like that very much. Just goes to show who makes the policies, the terrorists do.

My mother told me that part of the reason that the British got through the blitz was that it is part of the British character that when things get tough then we get on with things as best we can and pulled together to help each other.
    Its kind of ironic you say we "get on with things" when the modern reaction is to change everything we do in life according to the latest terrorist threat. What DID happen to that British spirit we used to have. I feel quite sad when I go past my old school which now has 12 foot fences with barbed wire all the way round it and a limited number of entries where full ID is required - as a reaction to the Dunblane massacre no doubt - and it wouldnt stop a repeat of that. The point is, if you really want to kill people, you'll find a way. Should society suffer to try and cover all the bases when its clearly impossible?

I guess the British spirit is to pull together when other people make life difficult for us, but to whinge like cry-babies when our own people make life difficult for us.

Donna

Its hardly "whining" to complain about restrictions that increase paranoia and restrict basic liberties.
    I don't see the point in getting paranoid about it. Security are doing all they can to prevent anymore terrorist attacks, so surely the procedures they have to go through would make the public feel more secure on their journey.

Its kind of ironic you say we "get on with things" when the modern reaction is to change everything we do in life according to the latest terrorist threat. Should society suffer to try and cover all the bases when its clearly impossible?
    Yes - these terrorists have got some power over how we live now, but in some ways, we need to try and get on with things and stick together so that they don't completely have control over us.

TiggsTours

I guess the British spirit is to pull together when other people make life difficult for us, but to whinge like cry-babies when our own people make life difficult for us.

TiggsTours

I don't see the point in getting paranoid about it. Security are doing all they can to prevent anymore terrorist attacks, so surely the procedures they have to go through would make the public feel more secure on their journey.

Yes - these terrorists have got some power over how we live now, but in some ways, we need to try and get on with things and stick together so that they don't completely have control over us.
    too!

If they think there's a chance of a "plan b" involving others folks, then while these measures might stop them today, there's tomorrow, next week, next month, next year... So for this to make any sense they would have to continue it indefinitely.

I don't see the airlines, the airports or their customers putting up with it.

(Meanwhile the terrorists are blowing up a train instead...)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    If they think there's a chance of a "plan b" involving others folks, then while these measures might stop them today, there's tomorrow, next week, next month, next year... So for this to make any sense they would have to continue it indefinitely.

I don't see the airlines, the airports or their customers putting up with it.

(Meanwhile the terrorists are blowing up a train instead...)
    Touch wood.

And gullible is *still* being removed from the dictionary...

Thread Information