Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hand luggage

Hand luggage

Heard the local airports are in chaos, flights delayed everywhere (and I have to fly tomorrow )

Apparently the new rule, from today, is no hand luggage allowed - anything you want to take on board the flight has to go in a clear plastic bag.

So if they lose your luggage (as they do at times) you have nothing with you - don't like that! Also some flights have limited checked baggage allowance and we rely on the hand luggage for 'extra' weight/luggage.

So much for all the 'speedy boarding' with no hand luggage!

Re: Hand luggage

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Heard the local airports are in chaos, flights delayed everywhere (and I have to fly tomorrow )

Apparently the new rule, from today, is no hand luggage allowed - anything you want to take on board the flight has to go in a clear plastic bag.

So if they lose your luggage (as they do at times) you have nothing with you - don't like that! Also some flights have limited checked baggage allowance and we rely on the hand luggage for 'extra' weight/luggage.

So much for all the 'speedy boarding' with no hand luggage!
    I saw this on a notice board on the tube this morning... Did something happen to trigger this off? I foresee massive chaos, confusion and lots of grumpy people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alice
    I saw this on a notice board on the tube this morning... Did something happen to trigger this off? I foresee massive chaos, confusion and lots of grumpy people!!!
    A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.
    It is thought the plan was to detonate up to three explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    As far as I can gather, that is not the case. You can put the allowed items in a clear plastic bag, but what's allowed is so restricted that you probably won't be carrying enough to need a bag. You're pretty much limited to passport, wallet and essential medicines. You can take glasses but not glasses cases. This is in contrast to the immediate aftermath of 9/11 when books, glasses cases etc. were allowed to be taken in said clear plastic bag (I took a flight on 14/Sep/2001).

Thanks for posting this - I hadn't noticed he news - and I fly to Chicago on Sunday. I guess we should be glad that plans were foiled, but having now read the security measures, it's going to be a very, very dull flight without hand luggage. You can't even take water on the plane!

TiggsTours

According to the radio this morning, and various news articles on the internet, you are allowed to carry (in a clear plastic bag):

Passport
    Travel Documents
    Wallet
    Necessary Medication
    Tissues

and if travelling with a baby:

Milk
    Nappies
    Baby food

You are not allowed to carry a mobile phone onto the plane. According to someone in my office who's brother is trying to check-in to his flight this morning, he has been told at the airport that he is not allowed to carry his wallet on board either.

Strangely enough, in light of this heightened security after they foiled a plan to blow up a plane (a phrase containing the words "horse" "bolted" "gate" and "after" springs to mind), there was no stepped up security on the underground this morning, or indeed in London, in fact, our government building office even stepped down its security flag by one level yesterday, and it hasn't changed since.

my Ex just emailed me. her daughter was coming back from Singapore where she was working and she's in Heathrow right now and apparently she's not going anywhere for some time. At least she made in back into the UK ok.

Last thing I heard I think she was considering taking the train back up to Aberdeen instead of flying up.

Far be it for me to be cynical, but I'm wondering if this is just a game to show us that they're doing 'something' and that we really need ID cards, because that would prevent this sort of thing from happening.
    Glad I'm not flying anywhere in the next few weeks though!

Sean

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by tsh
    Far be it for me to be cynical, but I'm wondering if this is just a game to show us that they're doing 'something' and that we really need ID cards, because that would prevent this sort of thing from happening.
    Glad I'm not flying anywhere in the next few weeks though!

Sean
    Hmm, yes, because having to use ID managed to stop a black listed passenger getting all the way to the States on a flight out of Heathrow a few days ago, I mean, he only managed to make it part way, before they turned the plane round and brought him back. Far be it for me to be cynical either!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07082006/32...ity-alert.html

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    You can't even take water on the plane!
    From the news reports, and looking at www.ba.com, it's pretty clear the security services suspect the bombers would be using some kind of inflammable or explosive liquid. In particular, look at these lines saying what is allowed:

From the BA Website, emphasis mine:
    Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
    Contact lenses, without bottles of solution
    And breakfast TV said people carrying baby milk would have to taste it in front of security staff to prove it wasn't some other substance.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    From the news reports, and looking at www.ba.com, it's pretty clear the security services suspect the bombers would be using some kind of inflammable or explosive liquid. In particular, look at these lines saying what is allowed:

And breakfast TV said people carrying baby milk would have to taste it in front of security staff to prove it wasn't some other substance.
    Yeah, I've been reading that as well, and while I can understand the measures, it's going to be a real PITA for staff looking after bored, possibly scared and very thirsty passengers.

Yeah, I've been reading that as well, and while I can understand the measures, it's going to be a real PITA for staff looking after bored, possibly scared and very thirsty passengers.
    As far as water goes, it wouldn't seem that difficult to arrange for bottles of water to be provided in a "safe" manner. Bit of a hassle for the airlines, but less so than having 400 passengers bleeping for a stewardess 10 times during the flight.

I'm assuming you can't just get water having gone through security - though it often seems the need for BAA to make a profit selling you duty free overrides every security concern, so who knows?

TiggsTours

Why would they be thirsty? OK, so you can't take drinks onto the plane, but you can buy them at the airport after you've been through baggage control, and you can buy them on the plane.

This is worse than I thought! I didn't realise the restrictions were so tight (just heard it on the car radio and didn't get many details). No water is a big issue - especially for longer flights - with the cost and availibility of water to buy on the flight. And of course you need water if you want to take medication. I always drink water when flying.

No mobile phones is an even bigger problem. I usually call/text whoever I am meeting to say if my flight is delayed - but I won't be able to.

If your luggage is delayed or doesn't get put on the flight...I know a friend this happened to who was travelling onward to Europe and it took several days for it to reach him - fortunately not his main luggage - but even if they get your luggage to you a few hours later, for someone travelling for a business meeting, that might be too late. (Never mind the hours waiting for flights that businessmen will not be able to use to work.)

With people having to put all their valuables in the hold there will be a higher risk of theft.

I wouldn't mind too much about having to check on hand baggage, if I was allowed to take a book, water and my mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    As far as water goes, it wouldn't seem that difficult to arrange for bottles of water to be provided in a "safe" manner. Bit of a hassle for the airlines, but less so than having 400 passengers bleeping for a stewardess 10 times during the flight.

I'm assuming you can't just get water having gone through security - though it often seems the need for BAA to make a profit selling you duty free overrides every security concern, so who knows?
    People won't be able to buy anything in the shops after they check in, aside from papers to read and leave behind, or food/water to consume before they get on board.

So the duty free shops won't be doing much business!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Why would they be thirsty? OK, so you can't take drinks onto the plane, but you can buy them at the airport after you've been through baggage control, and you can buy them on the plane.
    My understanding is that you can't buy drinks after you've been through baggage control for taking on the plane and I don't especially want to get on a six-hour flight, requesting umpteen diddy 300ml Evian bottles from airline staff - along with everyone else. I usually take at least a couple of litres of water on long flights and drink it all.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    The price of drinks in departure lounges and on aircraft is second only to the price of drinks at Ashtons. And aircraft cabin air is extremely dry, so you dehydrate much faster than you think.

An Eclectic Toaster

The phrase "Politically deliberate over-reaction to perceived threat" springs to mind. I'll be looking to blow up my plane on Saturday with the latest John Grisham. Mind you, his books should be classified as hazardous substances, so maybe there's a point to this madness.

Apologies everyone if that little joke gets this Forum shut down. Darn, I'm just so irresponsible.

How long will it be before we can only board the plane naked, shaved and without glasses (break the lenses in half and hey presto, 4 lethal weapons), hearing aids (easy disguise for a detonator)? And then only following intimate body searches?

And if they expect me to pay for water to drink on the plane, they can whistle.

Add smelly on long haul flights

So glad I'm not intending on going anywhere. I feel sorry for the people who are stuck in it right now.

EDIT: re drinks: unless you pay (extortionate prices), or ring incessantly, liquid refreshment seems to be limited on planes as they want you to stay in your seats like good sheep and not be up and down to the loo too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M

How long will it be before we can only board the plane naked, shaved and without glasses (break the lenses in half and hey presto, 4 lethal weapons), hearing aids (easy disguise for a detonator)? And then only following intimate body searches?
    In your dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M
    And if they expect me to pay for water to drink on the plane, they can whistle.
    When I've been on long-haul flights in the last couple of years, the staff usually keep popping around with bottles of water (no extra charge) ... it's just that they are rather small.

Thread Information