Thread: Cleansing The Soles????

Blog Entries

Cleansing The Soles????

Any top tips out there for cleaning the soles of leather shoes?

I try and pick the crap off them with a metal nail file but am sure I will be accidentally scoring them ever so slightly every time and would love to hear of a wonder solution (home made or purchased) to bring back the slipiness.

C

My problem with leather soled dance shoes is that they keep getting too slippy. I gather that a lot of dancers have shoe brushes to rough the soles up again to get a bit of grip back. I need one of these.

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Cleansing The Soles????

Originally posted by Chicklet
    Any top tips out there for cleaning the soles of leather shoes?

I try and pick the crap off them with a metal nail file but am sure I will be accidentally scoring them ever so slightly every time and would love to hear of a wonder solution (home made or purchased) to bring back the slipiness.

C
    Are you talking about suede leather-soled shoes (also commonly used for ballroom dancing) or do you have shoes which are totally smooth leather.

If it's the former then I know you can buy suede brushes (effectively little wire brushes) to clean them... Dunno about the latter type of leather soles though.

David
    Love dance, will travel

Confirmed Forum Plant Basil Brush (Forum Plant)'s Avatar
    Originally posted by Will
    My problem with leather soled dance shoes is that they keep getting too slippy.
    Have you tried pouring on a few drops of coke or similar soft drink? Got that tip a while back, shouldn't cause any ill-effects to the dancefloor.

As for leather-soled shoes, try a cloth & detergent, then polish/buff up. With suede it's best to basil brush 'em, as has been said.

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by Basil Brush
    Have you tried pouring on a few drops of coke or similar soft drink? Got that tip a while back, shouldn't cause any ill-effects to the dancefloor.
    Why not just water? I can't see how having copious quantities of sugar in the liquid would help...

If they're suede soles DO NOT PUT LIQUID ON THEM!!!! It completely knackers the sole.

Number one: go to your cobbler and get new suede soles put on your shoes (he'll probably have to order them in but he can do that).

Number two: do not get them wet

Number three: go to a hardware shop and get a proper heavy duty wire brush. Not one of these woosey suede things - a man's wire brush.

Number four: be religious about brushing your soles after every use and get *all* of the crap off them. Don't worry about brushing too much - you won't.

Hope this helps.

J

Blog Entries
    I feel really guilty and ashamed cos they're NOT suede soles .:sorry

maybe I'll buy a pair on Sunday so I can do all these lovely things to them!

ta

Smile

Surely confession is good for the soles.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Chicklet
    I feel really guilty and ashamed cos they're NOT suede soles .:sorry

maybe I'll buy a pair on Sunday so I can do all these lovely things to them!

ta
    oh look - a woman who needs an excuse to buy shoes

obviously though, any excuse will do

I have a pair of leather soled shoes (my new pair). How do I look after the soles - they are already getting a little dirty? I'm more used to suede soles.

I don't want to 'rough them' as I like them smooth - they're for tango, not jive so I want to be able to pivot in them.

I just need advice on how to clean them and care for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I have a pair of leather soled shoes (my new pair). How do I look after the soles - they are already getting a little dirty? I'm more used to suede soles.

I don't want to 'rough them' as I like them smooth - they're for tango, not jive so I want to be able to pivot in them.

I just need advice on how to clean them and care for them.
    all I ever do for mine was to give them a light rub on concrete or with fine sand paper - this got the gunk off but didn't really rough up the soles

I don't know if this is the best way..... (Further suggestions / corrections welcome)

but I tried a little alcohol (medical alcohol) on a soft cloth and applied a little elbow grease ... I'm waiting for feedback on whether you think I have ruined the leather, but boy did it get rid of all the junk adhering to the sole, so if there is something gentler, but still with the power to clean the gunk then I would love to know....?

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    I don't know if this is the best way..... (Further suggestions / corrections welcome)

but I tried a little alcohol (medical alcohol) on a soft cloth and applied a little elbow grease ... I'm waiting for feedback on whether you think I have ruined the leather, but boy did it get rid of all the junk adhering to the sole, so if there is something gentler, but still with the power to clean the gunk then I would love to know....?

Whitetiger
    i've used alcohol to clean hard leather soles too - but the sand paper/concrete method much quicker and easier - with concrete you don't even have to take the shoes off

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    I just need advice on how to clean them and care for them
    Carefully scrub them with a brillo pad or equivalent that you've dipped in hot water. Let them dry completely before wearing them. If you enjoy ice-skating you can always apply a bit of Kiwi neutral leather polish to the soles and buff them up!

Scraping them on concrete or the pavement works a treat and doesn't risk getting the uppers wet. I've only had to use a brillo a couple of times after dancing on particularly disgusting floors.

They're lovely shoes!

Donna

I agree with yliander. Rubbing leather soles on concrete is a good way of helping you get a decent grip on the floor but still capable of pivoting/spinning easily, plus it doesn't ruin your shoes.

Anyone who has suede soles (which all my dance shoes have) will find that when you first buy them they are perfect on any kind of dance floor. They do tend to become a bit slippy as the suede starts to wear away, but using a suede brush helps and also rubbing castor oil over the soles to stop you slipping on the floor. (this doesn't ruin the suede and you certainly don't stick to the floor either. Amazing stuff, try it and see for yourself)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post

Anyone who has suede soles (which all my dance shoes have) will find that when you first buy them they are perfect on any kind of dance floor. They do tend to become a bit slippy as the suede starts to wear away
    I have 3 pairs with suede soles & I love them but I rarely give two them the wire brush treatment (only when the floor's like glass) - after a few weeks they develop a really nice shine which is perfect for Lindy. The other ones I keep for Ballroom.

BTW Leather soles from Heavenly seem to be a lot more fragile than from mainstream retailers like Rumpf or Werner Kern so they need to be treated gently

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

I clean my suede soled shoes (which I rarely wear) with an ordinary table knife, the kind with a very pathetic serration that could do no damage to anything. I recently discovered that taking the same knife to my constantly worn and decidedly cruddy leather soled shoes meant that I could dance without the Bambi impression.

This was a Very Good Thing. Remaining upright on the dancefloor is always to be encouraged, methinks.

Thanks for the tips. I have *does a quick count in head* seven pairs with suede soles so am pretty used to how to treat them - though my most worn pair are really worn (but that's ok they make great tango class shoes so I can keep my good ones for dancing). Its the leather soles I'm not as used to.

This pair seem like good hard leather soles, but I'm not worried about getting them to 'grip' since they're not for MJ. Plus I have enough suede soled pairs if I want more grip (and always take several pairs to a new or variable venue). I want to keep these nice a smooth - I need all the help I can get with my pivots!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    If they're suede soles

Number four: be religious about brushing your soles after every use and get *all* of the crap off them. Don't worry about brushing too much - you won't.

Hope this helps.

J
    Really? I freaked when I used a suede brush on mine 'cos loads of the suede seemed to come off too. I thought I'd have nothing left if I did that after every use!

Thread Information