Thread: New Age health threat!

New Age health threat!

See in yesterday's Guardian that new research shows that unfermented soya, and soybeans themselves, have significant health risks, amongst other things associated with phyto-oestrogens.

Especially dangerous, apparently, is soya milk...

Re: New Age health threat!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    See in yesterday's Guardian that new research shows that unfermented soya, and soybeans themselves, have significant health risks, amongst other things associated with phyto-oestrogens.

Especially dangerous, apparently, is soya milk...
    Yay! It's been proven that not only does it taste bad. It is bad.

This is getting crazy ................. if you eat well you weaken your imune system, if you eat certain things etc., etc., etc., they will soon be telling us all to wear masks as the air we breath is killing us

My next door neighbour didn't read any Sell-by-date (didn't have them when he was growing up) - he smelt everything. He also ignored all modern health warnings and died last year at the prime old age of 97 from a fall !!!

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    This is getting crazy ................. if you eat well you weaken your imune system, if you eat certain things etc., etc., etc., they will soon be telling us all to wear masks as the air we breath is killing us

My next door neighbour didn't read any Sell-by-date (didn't have them when he was growing up) - he smelt everything. He also ignored all modern health warnings and died last year at the prime old age of 97 from a fall !!!

The nose is the most powerful tool we were given for food.
    As taste is 90% smell.
    One can generally tell if the food product is okay for consumption through this method.
    In other words. Smart man!

P.s. Almost everything in the world is carcenogenic... it's just a case of humans are constantly finding ways to weaken our physical bodies to the point where even the smallest of things will weaken our immune system.
    Welcome to the world of consumerism.

Quote Originally Posted by quiet_flame
    The nose is the most powerful tool we were given for food.
    As taste is 90% smell.
    One can generally tell if the food product is okay for consumption through this method.
    In other words. Smart man!
    Read the article, think about how the Soya industry as they manufacture soya oil have to use a sequence of chemical processes to remove the offensive taste and smell, and then tell me that smell tells you whether food is good or not.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Well the only answer as far as I can see is:

"Enjoy your food, eat a bit of everything you want, don't feel guilty, and go dancing as often as you possibly can!!"

Health advice copyrighted and included courtesy of Whitetiger

This isn't new news - I've known there are risks associated with unfermented soya for 2-3 years, and the industry has known for alot longer than that. However, fermented soya (tofu, soy sauce, etc.) as eaten in countries like Japan is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Read the article, think about how the Soya industry as they manufacture soya oil have to use a sequence of chemical processes to remove the offensive taste and smell, and then tell me that smell tells you whether food is good or not.
    Well, Soya milk IMO it smelt horrible and off...
    Same with many other Soya based products. My nose smelt it, my stomach told me not to eat it. So I didn't.
    (the gag reflex when smelling something, however minuscule, was a good indication)
    But I have a very acute sense of smell and listen to my body's reactions...
    But I can see your point

:The nose is the most powerful tool we were given for food.
    As taste is 90% smell.
    One can generally tell if the food product is okay for consumption through this method
    I'm doomed then !!

I normally rely on sight or taste.. If it looks off, or taste funny then it's binned. mind you it does explain why I've had so many cases of food poisoning through the years.

I actually now tend to throw out perfectly acceptable and healthy food if there's the slightest doubt in my mind. And Sell by / Consume by dates? I find these to be a web of lies.. many a time I've eaten something "SUPPOSEDLY" within it's good period and came down ill.

This is why I set up the support group in the first place.. Wish It was still running..

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    I normally rely on sight or taste.. If it looks off, or taste funny then it's binned. mind you it does explain why I've had so many cases of food poisoning through the years.
    Though if food is cooked, esp with a sauce, then you can't tell by smell, or sometimes taste. I've never had food poisoning from anything I've prepared myself, but have had it from food bought already cooked (ie restaurants) mostly outside of the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    I actually now tend to throw out perfectly acceptable and healthy food if there's the slightest doubt in my mind. And Sell by / Consume by dates? I find these to be a web of lies.. many a time I've eaten something "SUPPOSEDLY" within it's good period and came down ill.
    I would still check food. There are some foods that are fine, well past their 'Best Before' and others that aren't good before it. Its common sense really.

What I need is an electronic nose..

But Anosmia is a poor third to blindness and deafness. Even though I would give my soul to smell I do think it's less important than some of the other senses. And I'd rather I never a sense of smell than to be born blind or deaf.

But Yeah, I still get bad tummys from what I eat. And I've got a fridge full of Soya milk too which I'll be checking (or chucking) very carefully tonight when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M

Mfmmfl rfllffel bfllfl liffl..!

Commercial Operator

Yay! It's been proven that not only does it taste bad. It is bad.
    Actually, that depends on which soy milk you get (for the taste that is) - Alpro tastes vile, for example, but some others do taste pretty good. Sainsburies do one, for example, that's very nice.

That having been said - after reading that article, and a couple of other related ones, I think it's time to stop buying the stuff (which leaves me with finding another milk-substitute that I a) like, and b) doesn't do nasty things to you )

What's rice milk like?

Stray

Thread Information