Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a laptop - advice needed

Re: Buying a laptop - advice needed

I thought about that one too, but went for an Acer with a duo processor, and a bigger hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I thought about that one too, but went for an Acer with a duo processor, and a bigger hard drive.

I bought a new Acer laptop before xmas after using an Acer travelmate previously with no problems.

Its very easy to use and great picture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Beccy View Post
    I bought a new Acer laptop before xmas after using an Acer travelmate previously with no problems.

Its very easy to use and great picture quality.

Yep, I'd heard some good things re Acer. Hopefully there will be no probs but I have a 3 year collect and return warranty (included, not extra) which gives some reassurance.

Like it so far and it is a novelty to be able to work in different rooms in the house!

(Ok, this isn't actually work...)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I'm thinking of one too - I'm looking at this Compaq model, any comments?
    Seems an OK priced, well balanced entry level model.

I'd tend to stump up the extra money for a lowish speed core processor laptop such as Lynn's, not because of raw speed as such, but because the core processor power management, where you're not running the CPU flat out is much better.

Aside from battery life, the lower heat output can be nice if you're using the laptop on your lap.

One annoying thing about some laptops from PC World can be getting them with a proper Windows install CD, but as it offers the Vista upgrade that should hopefully solve that.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    I'd tend to stump up the extra money for a lowish speed core processor laptop such as Lynn's, not because of raw speed as such, but because the core processor power management, where you're not running the CPU flat out is much better.

Aside from battery life, the lower heat output can be nice if you're using the laptop on your lap.
    I didn't know why the processor I got cost more, I went on advice. But I was running it a lot last night and I noticed that it doesn't generate as much heat as I'd expected, perhaps this is why then?
    One annoying thing about some laptops from PC World can be getting them with a proper Windows install CD, but as it offers the Vista upgrade that should hopefully solve that.
    I didn't buy from PC World but there were no CDs at all. I got the impression that was the way things tend to be now and created recovery DVDs as soon as I got everything up and running. I also can get the Vista upgrade.

So far I've done my recovery discs, updated my anti virus software and played with some of the new features - anything else I should be doing?

Solve hmmmm

Does that mean Microsoft outsourced the writing of Vista to a company that know what they are doing?

Lynn I reckon you should be very wary of Vista until ServicePack2 appears.

'It's the only way to be sure'

When looking for anything technological I always have a quick shuftie on the Morgan Computers site. There are bargains to be had, and I have been dealing with them for years without issue or problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Lynn I reckon you should be very wary of Vista until ServicePack2 appears.
    Oh, I'm planning on waiting until what much more knowledgeable folk on here pass comment!

Any suggestion about the best way to transfer things from my old PC? Specifically is there a way of transferring my contacts list? (Files and folders I can simply move via a memory stick.)

I can simply move via a memory stick.)
    YES

I use a 4 GB USB flash drive to transfer stuff from home to work

And from my lap top to my home desk top

But your contacts should fit on something a lot smaller

Open contacts

Click on file then import export

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    But your contacts should fit on something a lot smaller

Open contacts

Click on file then import export
    I have a memory stick, its usually the quickest and easiest way I find of transfering data.

I'll have a go at that, ta.

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

If it's of any use, my eldest is a manager for a PC World Superstore, he says that the laptop with the least amount of appearances at the help desk is the HP Compaq.
    I am using one to do this reply at the mo'. it's 4 years old now and rarely misses a beat, only when the used has blonde moments!

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee View Post
    If it's of any use, my eldest is a manager for a PC World Superstore, he says that the laptop with the least amount of appearances at the help desk is the HP Compaq.
    I've heard OK things about Acer. PC World don't sell very many Acer laptops so I guess that maybe its not an easy one to compare.

My desktop is Packard Bell, from PC World and hasn't given many problems in the past 4 years or so - I've never had to call a helpdesk.

But I'm still reassured by 3 years warranty!

Grrr. Grrrrrrr!

Box says 1024MB DDR2 RAM.

Laptop has 512MB DDR2 RAM.

What do I do now? Do I contact Acer or reseller? Will I need to return the whole thing and get a refund or is it something they can collect and fix and return to me?

Any suggestion about the best way to transfer things from my old PC? Specifically is there a way of transferring my contacts list? (Files and folders I can simply move via a memory stick.)
    Microsoft have some migration tools though I've never attempted to use them .

For example:-
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-01.html

Difficult to say why a laptop is less hot than expected. One side benefit I didn't mention of more efficient CPU power management is that the fan can be quieter turned down or off more of the time (doesn't mean it will be - just it could be ).

The main reason I wouldn't pick up Windows Vista given the option is if you have earlier existing additional software to use- not so much waiting for service pack 2 - but waiting for other software to catch up and have the problems worked out by other people.

Grrr. Grrrrrrr!

Box says 1024MB DDR2 RAM.

Laptop has 512MB DDR2 RAM.

Its looking like the wrong laptop has been supplied. A lower spec model has been boxed and sold as a higher spec model - at the higher spec model price.

Very annoyed. I think I'm going to have to take everything off this again and return for a refund.

May be not, they may be able to add extra “thingy” with out changing the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    May be not, they may be able to add extra “thingy” with out changing the whole thing
    No, it has the wrong graphics card as well. Its the wrong model - almost identical, same number, but different spec. You take the outside box to the till, they then take it away and put another box inside it - and it was marked in felt pen to be the right one, but on looking at the bar code on the box inside the box, inside the box (anyone still with me?) it didn't match up with the outer box.

Now I have to remove everything and get it changed. Fortunately I hadn't put too much software on yet and nothing confidential. Still irritating though.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

unlucky - still they should gave you something for the hassle really. Hope you get the replacement ok.

And yes I wouldn't touch the first release of Vista with a barge poll *, just because microsoft would like guinea pigs to do their testing, doesn't mean you need to be one of them

* 5 options on what length you prefer

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    unlucky - still they should gave you something for the hassle really. Hope you get the replacement ok.
    I bet they don't though. Still not sure if its an Acer mistake or the shop - there are 5 left in the shop we checked with last night and we asked them to look in one box and it appears to be the correct one. You can tell by the last few digits of the bar code apparently.

I only noticed on the sticker on the laptop itself, it wasn't obvious. You do sort of expect it to be what it says it is.

And I had a fair amount of work to do last night (not 'work' work, voluntary stuff) and had to go back to using the desktop - and it now seems soooo slow! (Ended up spending 7 hours in front of one computer or another last night - not what I wanted after sitting in front of one most of the day at work.)

And I know, this would never happen with a Mac.
    Last edited by Lynn; 3rd-January-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

of course it would, its humans that are stupid , not the computers

Thread Information