Thread: World Affairs...stupid media

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

World Affairs...stupid media

This could be a very generic thread that could last several lifetimes but I have a specific intance in mind.

In todays Metro, page 4 an article entitled :

Stay out of World Affairs, Jack told

Jack McConnel, First Minister of the Scottish parliament, says the Euro is inevitable at a Question and Answer session. Conservative shadow puppet David Mundell is angry, "Jack McConnell should stop pontificating on international affairs...".

Also In todays Metro, on Page 5 an article entitled

Travis tells Tony: Take Note

The band travis turn up with a huge post-it note with "Some steps forward. Much more to do at G8" on it. Singer Fran Healey said "We're here to remind Gordon and Tony that we've not forgotten about Africa and neither should they".

Hmm.

This seems to be a general theme - politicians should stay out of politics and people in bands should 'do' politics instead, and on a first name basis too.

I think the only politician i can think of that was ever in a band was Screaming Lord Sutch, but he did make a lot of sense

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: World Affairs...stupid media

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    In todays Metro, page 4 an article entitled :

Stay out of World Affairs, Jack told

Jack McConnel, First Minister of the Scottish parliament, says the Euro is inevitable at a Question and Answer session. Conservative shadow puppet David Mundell is angry, "Jack McConnell should stop pontificating on international affairs...".
    Well.... he's got a point hasn't he? It's not really in McConnell's remit to talk about that sort of thing - bit like all those nutty Labour council's in the 80's declaring nuclear-free zones, or Ken Livingstone slagging off George Bush. Unless it's prefaced with "personal opinion", of course. But why should I be surprised that McConnell is a bigmouth...

Also In todays Metro, on Page 5 an article entitled

Travis tells Tony: Take Note

The band travis turn up with a huge post-it note with "Some steps forward. Much more to do at G8" on it. Singer Fran Healey said "We're here to remind Gordon and Tony that we've not forgotten about Africa and neither should they".
    Yeah? How many of their millions have they personally donated then, hmm? Tw%ts (insert vowel of choice there).

It's like that perennial refrain of "the yoof of today aren't interested in boring politics, they care about issues". Well, duh, what else is politics about, ***? What they mean is "The yoof of today can't be bothered to do the work involved in contributing to the political process, it's easier to whinge."

Blimey, I can't believe I've just defended both the Tories and the political establishment in a single post. Shoot me now

I think the only politician i can think of that was ever in a band was Screaming Lord Sutch, but he did make a lot of sense
    Aren't half of RunRig now in politics? And Pat Kane out of Hue and Cry did a bit of politics too.

Not implying any of them make sense – or otherwise.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    It's like that perennial refrain of "the yoof of today aren't interested in boring politics, they care about issues". Well, duh, what else is politics about, ***? What they mean is "The yoof of today can't be bothered to do the work involved in contributing to the political process, it's easier to whinge."

Politics gives us lots to whinge about... Maybe it is just the press coverage, but to me (and I hope I am not the yoof you talk about) politicians just don't know how to engage the public in general, and the "yoof" in particular.

Anything you see about politicians in the press or media is scandal and backstabbing... I used to vote - but now I really have (almost) given up - I mean if the politicians don't realise the press are out there then they must be daft - so cut out the affairs, and dont (I think it must be deliberate) look like total prats!

I would feel that I could trust them more if they hit the headlines for green energy promotion, pollution reduction, poverty cutting, NHS and education support etc - do I need to go on???

Oh the youth of today, and everyone actually care about these subjects, it is just that the bands and activists show things being done.... IE they are media savvy...

If there is a reason for troops staying in Iraq rather than being brought home (for example) - then politicians when confronted with this issue should use the media to explain the reasons to the public in general..

If we understand the issues from their side of the fence, then this might promote a little less resentment and reduce the apathy for voting..

Sorry - Rant over

Whitetiger

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Aren't half of RunRig now in politics? And Pat Kane out of Hue and Cry did a bit of politics too.
    I thought it was just Donnie in Politics. My friend had 2 cousins in Runrig cant remeber what they did

Andy McGregor was in politics and he has a beautiful singing voice

as remembered quote from Pete Seegar:- "As soon as two or three are gathered together, you are into politics."

I thought it was just Donnie in Politics.
    Peter Wishart is an MP at Westminster.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518
    Politics gives us lots to whinge about... Maybe it is just the press coverage, but to me (and I hope I am not the yoof you talk about) politicians just don't know how to engage the public in general, and the "yoof" in particular.
    Fair enough, but that's not "politics", that's "politicians". We get the politicians we deserve. Depressing thought, that...

Anything you see about politicians in the press or media is scandal and backstabbing... I used to vote - but now I really have (almost) given up - I mean if the politicians don't realise the press are out there then they must be daft - so cut out the affairs, and dont (I think it must be deliberate) look like total prats!
    If you don't vote, don't complain about the results of the democratic process. If you want to change things, get involved.

Oh the youth of today, and everyone actually care about these subjects, it is just that the bands and activists show things being done.... IE they are media savvy...
    And of course, it's a damned sight easier making noble statements when you don't have to worry about any type of accountability for implementing policies.

I thought it was just Donnie in Politics. My friend had 2 cousins in Runrig cant remeber what they did

Andy McGregor was in politics and he has a beautiful singing voice
    I thought Andy was usually in fishnets?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink
    I thought Andy was usually in fishnets?
    I think the Conservative uniform has changed since then !

Fair enough, but that's not "politics", that's "politicians". We get the politicians we deserve. Depressing thought, that...

If you don't vote, don't complain about the results of the democratic process. If you want to change things, get involved.

And of course, it's a damned sight easier making noble statements when you don't have to worry about any type of accountability for implementing policies.

I do vote !!- i'm just getting peeved with all the politicians that's all and am thinking of giving up voting - after all the same twats (or facsimilies of them) get into power whether or not we vote!! - Bring back Screaming Lord Sutch - at least he made us laugh - not cry!

If we could do without the politicians altogether and just deal with the topics I would be fine..

Bob Geldof etc may not make policies, but they do get stuff done... Look at Oxfam, Christian Aid, Red Cross/ Crescent etc etc ... Why are people in poverty etc having to rely on Charity shouldn't this be a governmental policy??

*Gets off soapbox*

Sorry that's me finished

Whitetiger

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

.. Why are people in poverty etc having to rely on Charity shouldn't this be a governmental policy??
    Frankly, no! Can you imagine the complaints if Gordon Brown ups your tax to pay for straving people in another country. "Charity begins at home" is likely to be a majority belief until this country is perfect

Blog Entries

I do vote !!- i'm just getting peeved with all the politicians that's all and am thinking of giving up voting - after all the same twats (or facsimilies of them) get into power whether or not we vote!! - Bring back Screaming Lord Sutch - at least he made us laugh - not cry!
    I agree that disillusion with politic(ian)s seems at an all-time high at the moment - but I think this is mainly because:
    - The UK hasn't got any real problems, compared to say 25 years ago - so there aren't so many major policy debates or incentives to vote.
    - The Labour government, like all long-lasting governments, is getting tired and corrupt - so politicians are starting to fill their boots, as the Tories did under Major.

So I think it's a combination of circumstances rather than a "The whole world's going to pot" thing.

Bob Geldof etc may not make policies, but they do get stuff done... Look at Oxfam, Christian Aid, Red Cross/ Crescent etc etc ... Why are people in poverty etc having to rely on Charity shouldn't this be a governmental policy??
    To be fair to Blair ( ), world poverty reduction is indeed something he and Brown have spent serious time and effort working on, and they have achieved some results - for example, a few tens of billions more debt relief in last year's G8 conference (i.e. several hundred times more than all the Live X concerts put together).

The trouble is, we're just a small country with little influence, so there's a limit on what the UK can achieve.

Good point about the limit to what we can do as a country David. Ah well, I shall just have to live on the dance floor, and keep my nose at other times within the covers of a good novel - there is the only perfect world so far

Whitetiger

An Eclectic Toaster

To be fair to Blair ( ), world poverty reduction is indeed something he and Brown have spent serious time and effort working on, and they have achieved some results - for example, a few tens of billions more debt relief in last year's G8 conference (i.e. several hundred times more than all the Live X concerts put together).
    Funny, I'd thought the purpose of Live8 was to pressurise the G8 summit at Gleneagles into taking action, not make money. There was a kind of clue in the name, and the dates and locations of the concerts/marches.
    The trouble is, we're just a small country with little influence, so there's a limit on what the UK can achieve.
    So, given that the UK is the 4th/5th largest economy on the planet, has one of the largest arms industries in the world, houses some of the worlds major economic institutions, is a permanent UNSC member, heads a Commonwealth containing nearly one-third of the world's population, and continually pretends it has a major influence on the US, there's not much hope for nation states doing better than, say, Travis, on writing the wrongs of the world?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M
    Funny, I'd thought the purpose of Live8 was to pressurise the G8 summit at Gleneagles into taking action, not make money. There was a kind of clue in the name, and the dates and locations of the concerts/marches.
    Actually, I missed out an "(except for some of the dodgier acts taking part)" in there somewhere...

I had an "inside track" on a lot of the G8 stuff (the former Head of DFID chaired a think tank that I am secretary for, taking minutes for that one is one of the very interesting aspects of my job). The G8 was, of course, overshadowed by the London bombings last year.

More information on G8:
    Full text of Chairman's summary
    http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page7883.asp

Agreement from G8 leaders on Africa
    http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page7880.asp

The point is that the whole experience of this, and other involvement at policy level on UK issues such as criminal justice, has left me even more cynical about the media than I was before I started this job three years ago. The blatant hypocrisy and double standards expressed on every page of every tabloid sometimes just make me want to hurl. The power of the gutter press over politicians makes me sad - our government is more interested in winning votes and staying in power than doing the right thing and responds with knee jerk reactions to what the Sun says its far too many readers think Should Be Done. Media pressure has its place, but power corrupts... and it's the media that gives "celebrities" the power to be experts on stuff that they actually know SFA about, frankly.

The only "answer" seems to be get your news from varying sources with differing points of view and make your own mind up. As a bleedin eart liberal my main read is the Guardian, but if I find a "story" interesting I'll chase it down on other news sites as well.

Thread Information