Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a pong

What a pong

The other day I was travelling home from dance practise on the tube and I could smell this terrible stench. I thought it was this man next to me - so at the next stop changed carraiges. After a couple of minutes I could smell this stench again. What the hell is it I thought to myself. Imagine my horror when I found it was coming from my own dance bag. Did I have some rotten food in my bag? er no! it was my dance shoes I then had visions of everyone else leaving the train and changing carriages all because of me

Does anyone know how I can stop my new dance shoes getting in such a state (old ones have now been binned). The only thing I found in a magazine was to put 'bodyform' inside my shoes. Decided against this incase they fall out during freestyle.

Re: What a pong

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D
    The other day I was travelling home from dance practise on the tube and I could smell this terrible stench. I thought it was this man next to me - so at the next stop changed carraiges. After a couple of minutes I could smell this stench again. What the hell is it I thought to myself. Imagine my horror when I found it was coming from my own dance bag. Did I have some rotten food in my bag? er no! it was my dance shoes I then had visions of everyone else leaving the train and changing carriages all because of me
    Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by MissyD
    Does anyone know how I can stop my new dance shoes getting in such a state (old ones have now been binned). The only thing I found in a magazine was to put 'bodyform' inside my shoes. Decided against this incase they fall out during freestyle.
    I have to admit Miss Conduct and I used to leave our shoes outside our hotel room on weekenders for that very reason. And no one ever stole them!

IMO these things help a bit if you start religiously with a brand new pair of shoes, but realistically they just slow down the shoe's journey to that smelly state.

1. Deodorising shoe spray
    2. Deodorising foot spray
    3. Wearing tights, or those funny little tights that are just for feet. I used to have a pair of shoes that I never ever put bare feet in and they didn't get smelly even after years of use.

4. Store shoes in an airy place, never in a plastic bag (except when you're in close company and you just have to contain the smell).

I did try some odour eater insoles once but they fell to bits straight away with all the foot action going on.

Best solution?

Buy new shoes!

Wouldn't you agree Lynn?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman
    I have to admit Miss Conduct and I used to leave our shoes outside our hotel room on weekenders for that very reason. And no one ever stole them!
    Wait till I do a Southport. (Although I'm sure Andy McGregor mentioned that he used to borrow them but made sure they were back in place by the time you got up.)

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Wait till I do a Southport.
    Er....shalll I start holding my breath?

No I don't think so.

(Although I'm sure Andy McGregor mentioned that he used to borrow them but made sure they were back in place by the time you got up.)
    Aha! Now that explains why they were smelly.....

It all makes sense now. I expect Andy needed them to coordinate with the ladies lingerie he had already borrowed....

Ahhhhh yes.....Those were the days

The Oracle

I have to admit Miss Conduct and I used to leave our shoes outside our hotel room on weekenders for that very reason.
    Ever noticed how two things are almost always on the coast - dance weekenders and nuclear power plants....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    Ever noticed how two things are almost always on the coast - dance weekenders and nuclear power plants....

Yeah and I bet the locals all hope for an offshore breeze when we arrive too.....

Yeah and I bet the locals all hope for an offshore breeze when we arrive too.....
    PooooWeeeeeeeee I can smell your feet now

when I use deodorising shoe spray every time I wear my shoes no smell!! even with bare feet

which reminds me I need buy some as due to a weight issue I had to leave mine at the airport - anyone able to reccomend a brand?

Maybe worth trying Febreze – it's meant to be able to eliminate odours from fabrics.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

you could take a leaf out of my book and develop incurable anosmia (congenital in my case) that way you'll NEVER smell anything ever again and can live in harmony with your shoes.

it is a Little extreme perhaps but highly effective

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    you could take a leaf out of my book and develop incurable anosmia (congenital in my case) that way you'll NEVER smell anything ever again and can live in harmony with your shoes.

it is a Little extreme perhaps but highly effective
    Oh dear. Poor you, that sounds very tiring and frustrating Beo.

On the plus side:

You are the perfect person to guard our shoes in the night!

Oh dear. Poor you, that sounds very tiring and frustrating Beo.
    :
    Actually.. it's not that bad.. I've never had it..so I don't miss it. I have a "slight curiosity" but I cannot even begin to comprehend what I'm missing. it's like trying to explain RED or BLUE or DARK or LIGHT to someone who has never seen anything.

You are the perfect person to guard our shoes in the night!
    haha yes indeed

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D

What are you like?!

The best solution to this (that is, if you don't fancy going through all the hassle using spray etc etc) is to buy open toe dance shoes instead! Ta da!

I hardly ever wear my leather ones. Mind you, I can't now anyway as the heel got caught in a gap on the dance floor - tearing it right off during the BBC ballroom blitz auditions. Not a good time for that to happen. Good job I had a spare pair.

IMO these things help a bit if you start religiously with a brand new pair of shoes, but realistically they just slow down the shoe's journey to that smelly state.

2. Deodorising foot spray
    3. Wearing tights, or those funny little tights that are just for feet. I used to have a pair of shoes that I never ever put bare feet in and they didn't get smelly even after years of use.

4. Store shoes in an airy place, never in a plastic bag (except when you're in close company and you just have to contain the smell).
    I do try to take some effort with my shoes, partly because I do tend to dance in bare feet (I hate wearing tights and the wee foot things tend to come off). Footspray helps. I also tend to store my shoes out, rather than in bags.
    Best solution?

Buy new shoes!

Wouldn't you agree Lynn?
    That's the best solution to lots of things.

A tip on a (heeled) shoe storage solution that helps them get plenty of air but out of the way is to hang them by the heels on picture rails. Also makes them easy to find, they don't take up space in the wardrobe, and looks kinda funky too, if I do say so myself.

Commercial Operator

(Although I'm sure Andy McGregor mentioned that he used to borrow them but made sure they were back in place by the time you got up.)
    Maybe true, and this prompted me to resurrect some old photos to start off my photo gallery, it is quite evident that Andy is in need of an elegant pair of pink heels...

Greg

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    Maybe true, and this prompted me to resurrect some old photos to start off my photo gallery, it is quite evident that Andy is in need of an elegant pair of pink heels...

Greg

right.... I'm off to the photo gallery! This I have to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    right.... I'm off to the photo gallery! This I have to see!

Don't Look Donna!!

:head in hands smilie:

ZW

[QUOTE=ducasi]Maybe worth trying Febreze – it's meant to be able to eliminate odours from fabrics. [/QUOTE

Like most things, I've tried it.............. it doesn't work!!!

I also have some open shoes which are almost, but not quite, as bad.

Foam insoles are not only good for comfort but you can also take them out and wash them after every use. ZW put me on to Clarke's for these which wear very well. I put mine in a wash bag and put them in the washing machine on a delicate cycle. (Must confess the latest ones I bought not only shrunk slightly but they also went a bit curly still usable though)

There is no substitute for fresh air though just make sure they are out of the sun (cracks the leather) and the rain (obvious reasons).

I also keep a towel in my bag so that I can wash my feet when I take my dance shoes off as the smell of dead caterpillars on rotting cabbage leaves could cause one of my car share buddies to pass out and result in a crash on the way home.

Good luck - you'll need it!
    K x

Donna

Don't Look Donna!!

:head in hands smilie:

ZW

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to sleep tonight!!!!! I wish I'd have taken your advice.

It's bloody

He luuuurves dressing in womens clothes doesn't he?

Thread Information