Thread: Dance Shoes Anyone? Glasgow/Dundee

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Dance Shoes Anyone? Glasgow/Dundee

Hello and welcome to my very first thread!

I recently bought a fab pair of vintage dance shoes over eBay which were advertised as size 9. They've just arrived and I'm hugely disappointed to discover they are not really a size 9, more a 7.5-8 (roughly). I did put them on and try some spins in the site kitchen (much to the consternation of my boss!) and can confirm that the leather soles are gorgeous to spin on. However, without having a couple of toes trimmed I'm not going to be able to comfortably dance in them so they have to go. Rather than just stick them back on eBay I thought I'd offer them first to the discerning readership of the forum

Details are:
    Gold leather dance shoes made by Debenham & Freebody, style "Stacey", hand sewn. They don't seem to have had much wear and are in good condition. £15 (what they cost me). I've attached photos (hope it works)

Anyone interested in buying them who is going to any Glasgow venue or the Dundee party on Saturday is welcome to see them & try them on before deciding. Reply here or PM me so that I know to bring them with me.

While I'm at it, any good tips on where might do size 9 ladies dance shoes?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LemonCake; 27th-February-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Re: Dance Shoes Anyone? Glasgow/Dundee

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake
    Anyone interested in buying them who is going to any Glasgow venue or the Dundee party on Saturday is welcome to see them & try them on before deciding. Reply here or PM me so that I know to bring them with me.

While I'm at it, any good tips on where might do size 9 ladies dance shoes?

Would have loved to have a pair of gold shoes, but I'm a size 4.5....

However, if you want GORGEOUS shoes in just your size and style, go to http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/

They hand make shoes to your specifications, and they're fab!!!! Prices start at around £55-60, and they're worth every penny. I shall get myself another pair as soon as I get more money...!

Hi Lemoncake - congratulations on your first thread!

Unfortunately I'm more a size 5-5 1/2 so the shoes would be far too big for me. Out of interest, were they advertised as UK or US sized? It's just that I think a US size 9 might be equivalent to around a UK size 7.

Afraid I can't offer any tips on where to get dance shoes either. I bought my one and only pair (so far!) in London; the shop was Dancia International, and I think they actually have a branch on Great Western Road although I haven't been as yet.

However I am planning to go to the Dundee party and also dance in Glasgow, so would be nice to meet you sometime. Especially since we share such good taste in avatars!

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by firefly
    Hi Lemoncake - congratulations on your first thread!

Unfortunately I'm more a size 5-5 1/2 so the shoes would be far too big for me. Out of interest, were they advertised as UK or US sized? It's just that I think a US size 9 might be equivalent to around a UK size 7.

However I am planning to go to the Dundee party and also dance in Glasgow, so would be nice to meet you sometime. Especially since we share such good taste in avatars!
    Hi there! I thought of the US size thing but they are definitely UK shoes - Debenham & Freebody By Appointment to HM The Queen I think!

I'm recognisable in Glasgow as usually the tallest female in the room, long hair either flying everywhere driving me crazy or tied up in a ponytail whipping partners in the face every time they spin me Also usually a good line in flarey skirts. See you around soon!

Hi LemonCake, I have been to the Dancia shop in Great Western Rd... I am anywhere between a 7 and (ocassionally) a 10! - My left foot is a size longer and my right a size wider! (I hate shoe shopping) - Anyway went in, they fitted me in 5 mins and I am now breaking in my size 7s - Was certainly less than £50, and very good quality - would highly recommend them
    Whitetiger

PS, I think I know who you are and if you are at GUU tonight then I will show you them

Quote Originally Posted by firefly
    Especially since we share such good taste in avatars!
    And you're both totally confusing me as that was my avatar for over 2 years...

Good idea to see if someone from forum/local wants the shoes, that's where some sort of a forum 'market place' would come in useful I suppose.

Hope you get pair you love in your size.

Dance shoes are wonderful! (The latest addition to my collection arrived yesterday. )

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518
    Hi LemonCake, I have been to the Dancia shop in Great Western Rd... I am anywhere between a 7 and (ocassionally) a 10! - My left foot is a size longer and my right a size wider! (I hate shoe shopping) - Anyway went in, they fitted me in 5 mins and I am now breaking in my size 7s - Was certainly less than £50, and very good quality - would highly recommend them
    Whitetiger

PS, I think I know who you are and if you are at GUU tonight then I will show you them

I'll be easy to spot, I'm taxi-ing tonight! See you later!

As well as Dancia International on Great Western Road; there's the Westend Dance Boutique out Whiteinch way on Dumbarton Road; Danceland, on Maryhill Road; and the other week I saw a new "Dance" shop that had opened by Partick Station on Dumbarton Road (though it looked like it was aimed purely at 5 year old girls just starting ballet lessons...)

I guess there must be some dance shops on the south-side too.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

TiggsTours

If you have pretty standard feet, and you're happy to buy shoes online, I bought some Rummos from this place:

http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/

and they're great!

You choose the style you like, the material & colour, width, size and heel height then they're handmade in Italy and imported to you, all for a mere £51, including p&p!

They fit like a dream, they're really well made, they spin beautifully and they're really comfortable too!

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    As well as Dancia International on Great Western Road; there's the Westend Dance Boutique out Whiteinch way on Dumbarton Road; Danceland, on Maryhill Road; and the other week I saw a new "Dance" shop that had opened by Partick Station on Dumbarton Road (though it looked like it was aimed purely at 5 year old girls just starting ballet lessons...)

I guess there must be some dance shops on the south-side too.

Thanks for the links - they're all so pink! Aimed at 5 year old girls, I guess

They also do lycra shorts - good for under particularly swirly dresses

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    If you have pretty standard feet, and you're happy to buy shoes online, I bought some Rummos from this place:

http://www.dancesport.uk.com/shoes/

and they're great!

You choose the style you like, the material & colour, width, size and heel height then they're handmade in Italy and imported to you, all for a mere £51, including p&p!

They fit like a dream, they're really well made, they spin beautifully and they're really comfortable too!
    They are great, I'm ogling and coveting. However from long and bitter experience I know I have non-standard feet and this kind of thing just will not work. I have got to try things on first But thank you

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake
    They are great, I'm ogling and coveting. However from long and bitter experience I know I have non-standard feet and this kind of thing just will not work. I have got to try things on first But thank you

Hi,

going to plug heavenly dance shoes again. As LM said she hand makes them to size. Speak to her on the phone and she'll tell you to get someone to draw round your feet and post this to her. They are very comfy, you can choose what heel/strap/colour/design you want.

My only complaint is that I tend to go through them very quickly. But I teach/dance 3 nights a week plus workshops so I do give them a hammering.

So I have just ordered 2 pairs from her and am waiting on them arriving this week.

Happy shoe hunting!!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Heavenly shoes idea is great but I was just wondering about the fit. It's always difficult ordering over the net as you can't try them on. I get the 'draw round feet bit' that would ascertain the width but I must have a slender heel and ankle as shoes are often baggy on me there. Straps aren't such a problem as you can always get more holes in them but it's not good to have a gaping bit around the heel.

Hi,

don't have this problem thankfully but you could still phone them and speak to her about it. She's very helpful, you never know.

Lxx

Thread Information