Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Scottish Style?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: What is Scottish Style?

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    I think she has been awarded " honorary Scottishness" on account that she's dead cool ..
    and in black and white - we dont have colour up here

Personally I think there a Scottish style (as well as a Nottingham style, London style and probaby many more).

I learnt Ceroc in Nottingham and then moved to Glasgow and I find there are subtle differences which means I find many men harder to follow (Forum exceptions of course!). I thought I was dancing less well as I don't dance as often, but then I went to Southport and danced with my friends from Nottingham and it was all so easy again!!

The other big differene I've noticed is there are fewer dips, drops and aerials taught - I'd love to learn some more, but haven't seen any Scottish workshops on them. I know Frank doesn't do them himself whereas John Sweeeny who used to run Nottingham was very keen on them, so maybe that's why?

However I've have also learnt lots of new stuff such as walks which were not taught in Nottingham. There is also a bigger variety of music in Scotland, and some tracks which are great to dance to, but I'd never danced to before.

As for the leg slidey move - I thought that was just a Frank move as he's the only person I've danced with that's done that.

Bop

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    and they ALL do that leg slidy thing*, which I haven't encountered in anyone else from any other part of the kingdom....
    Amir used to teach it

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I did not realise that ZW was Scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceDemon
    I think she has been awarded " honorary Scottishness" on account that she's dead cool ..
    Thank you DD . I am totally not worthy.

From my experience of the Scottish dancers who have travelled south of the border, I would say there is a higher level of connection style and musicality in both the leaders and the followers. I don't know why? Maybe it's because more beginners and intermediates do workshops, instead of just dancing for the social scene. Some of them certainly seem to become very good dancers extremely quickly . Yes I too have noticed the leg slidey thing...Mmmm love that.

Looking at the playlists in the DJ Booth, I think that on average more interesting music gets played in Scotland too. That must help a lot....

Well even if it doesn't help...it must be very nice and I'm always feeling jealous when I read the Scottish playlists.

Roll on Blaze when I shall be checking it all out for myself.

ZW

As far as having Scottish blood goes - I am half way there. My dad is fiercely Scottish, lives on a hill in the borders, wearing a kilt on a Sundays and for SCD.
    Last edited by Zebra Woman; 12th-July-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bop
    Personally I think there a Scottish style

As for the leg slidey move - I thought that was just a Frank move as he's the only person I've danced with that's done that.

Bop
    The only other person I know that does it, is Dave Hancock... he does it very, very well, trouble is, I feel I may end up on my knees.... not very elegant...

Great move though...

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle
    LOL if it's the move I'm thinking of - it's the one that makes the lady's knix disappear.... you know where I'm coming from girls!
    Teach me this move. Teach me this move - quickly.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    and they ALL do that leg slidy thing*, which I haven't encountered in anyone else from any other part of the kingdom....

* you know the one where they put one of their feet between yours and slide your feet apart and sort of lunge at the same time...
    JiveP uses this move alot (He's from Northampton ) but he was the only guy i knew to do this, until last year. I had about 4 scots do it to me in one night, so i now call it The Scottish Move.

Franck sometimes teaches it as part of the whole "connection" thing and not having to lead simply with your hands. (I'm sure I learned it origionally in one of his workshops.)
    BTW, the same move(ment) can be led with a good frame and responsive partner - it dosn't have to be led by sliding the feet.

I tend to do a reverse one as well; a bit harder since the leads foot starts on the outside (but it does mean that I'm not stuck for ten counts trying to work out which foot they are on in order to lead it properly )

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Franck sometimes teaches it as part of the whole "connection" thing and not having to lead simply with your hands. (I'm sure I learned it origionally in one of his workshops.)
    BTW, the same move(ment) can be led with a good frame and responsive partner - it dosn't have to be led by sliding the feet.

I tend to do a reverse one as well; a bit harder since the leads foot starts on the outside (but it does mean that I'm not stuck for ten counts trying to work out which foot they are on in order to lead it properly )
    There is a variation of this move in the CerocCentral area.

The man swiftly sweeps away the lady's load bearing leg and she drops to the floor in a flash!

I found it hilarious, although it's also quite scary. Not for the fainthearted or unwarmed up that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    JiveP uses this move alot (He's from Northampton ) but he was the only guy i knew to do this, until last year. I had about 4 scots do it to me in one night, so i now call it The Scottish Move.
    So what do you call the one where your inside leg is swept and ends up hooked over the leads thigh as he goes into a lunge and you give out a loud yelp of surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Crossa
    So what do you call the one where your inside leg is swept and ends up hooked over the leads thigh as he goes into a lunge and you give out a loud yelp of surprise?
    Holy Sh*t! Was the name that sprung to mind at the time!

It's my puppies that yelp, not me.

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Ok, so Scottish style has been discussed. But what is English style then? Or Welsh?

Re: lungy leg-slidey type move mentioned a number of times in this thread

Any chance of a step by step breakdown anyone to allow those of us South of the Border to inundate the ladies with it here cf: pivot turns ?

No - it's our secret

{...oh, all right then...}
    Close 'ballroom' or 'blues' type hold and transfer weight from one foot to the other, taking your partner with you.
    When weight is on your left foot (follower's right) use your right foot against the inner of the follower's left foot to slide it side-ways into a lunge.
    Transfer all the weight to the right foot and use the inside of your left foot against the outside of the follower's right foot to slide it up to meet as you both stand up. (this takes a whole count)
    {This last bit is fairly important; it's what makes the move extra special... and most folk ignore it, or the followers simply stand up and take the lead with them }

Fairly simple, but it needs to be timed right.
    Last edited by Gadget; 14th-July-2006 at 08:52 PM.

If I can lead it anyone can!!! Although not quite perfected it yet!!!

There is another version led from a sway. same thing but obviously it's the ladies right leg first.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman

From my experience of the Scottish dancers who have travelled south of the border, I would say there is a higher level of connection style and musicality in both the leaders and the followers. I don't know why? Maybe it's because more beginners and intermediates do workshops, instead of just dancing for the social scene.
    May be it's something to do with having the inestimable resource of Frank as a teacher up there. Maybe connection actually gets taught from day one?

the leg slidey thing...Mmmm love that.
    Yeah, me too. I assumed it was a move borrowed from tango, as tango leaders are always pushing my feet around (or trying to). Makes me nervous as usually, in MJ, any foot to foot contact is a mistake of some sort.

No - it's our secret

Close 'ballroom' or 'blues' type hold and transfer weight from one foot to the other, taking your partner with you.
    When weight is on your left foot (follower's right) use your right foot against the inner of the follower's left foot to slide it side-ways into a lunge.
    Transfer all the weight to the right foot and use the inside of your left foot against the outside of the follower's right foot to slide it up to meet as you both stand up. (this takes a whole count)
    {This last bit is fairly important; it's what makes the move extra special... and most folk ignore it, or the followers simply stand up and take the lead with them }

If I have understood this right it sounds like a move that Michaela has taught a couple of times a few years back, as a "blues" move..

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    If I have understood this right it sounds like a move that Michaela has taught a couple of times a few years back, as a "blues" move..
    Yep...Nigel & Nina teach it too

No - it's our secret

Hmm, haven't come across that before, will have to try it....
    Presumably the lead has to keep the left hand high...
    Last edited by Yogi_Bear; 20th-July-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Thread Information