Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Scottish Style?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What is Scottish Style?

We've done the discussion of Australian style, so, influenced by this quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya
    We Have a Style?
    I'd like to ask - Is there a definite "Scottish Style"? If so, what is it?

(and leave the haggis jokes at the door please, it's a semi-serious question, OK?)

Re: What is Scottish Style?

Ok I got in just before you! but mines a bit more general I think!!!!

Wasn't this covered somewhere else partially in another thread? Can't remember where it was.

EDIT - I think this was what I was thinking of.
    Last edited by Lynn; 10th-July-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Is there a definite "Scottish Style"? If so, what is it?
    Of the Scottish men i've been lucky enough to sample, I'd say the general style is 'uninhibited, close contact, FUN'!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    Of the Scottish men i've been lucky enough to sample, I'd say the general style is 'uninhibited, close contact, FUN'!

and they ALL do that leg slidy thing*, which I haven't encountered in anyone else from any other part of the kingdom....

* you know the one where they put one of their feet between yours and slide your feet apart and sort of lunge at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    and they ALL do that leg slidy thing*, which I haven't encountered in anyone else from any other part of the kingdom....

* you know the one where they put one of there feet between yours and slide your feet apart and sort of lunge at the same time...
    Ooooooh I love this move although not very good at it!!!! Will have to practice with Gadget tomorrow!

* you know the one where they put one of their feet between yours and slide your feet apart and sort of lunge at the same time...
    I don't do that one... yet Don;t think I've even seen anyone doing it.. I'll have to ask Gadget to show me too tomorrow !!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    I don't do that one... yet Don;t think I've even seen anyone doing it.. I'll have to ask Gadget to show me too tomorrow !!
    LOL if it's the move I'm thinking of - it's the one that makes the lady's knix disappear.... you know where I'm coming from girls!

and they SMILE

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    Yup we're gonna be practicing it we'll show you it!

Hmm... It's not a move I do, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, I was taught it as part of Steve & Mel's Feeling Good routine...

Maybe I need to practice it some more...

On the concept of Scottish style... I think that a lot of people's style will come from the best dancers and teachers they are likely to see. But you get all different styles of MJ dancing across Scotland. Outside of Ceroc in Scotland there are at least five other organisation that teach MJ – each is going to have its own style to some extent or other. And even inside each organisation, everyone has their own set of experiences and motivations.

That said, the sort of Scottish dancers who you're likely to meet at Southport, or some other venue south of the border are likely to already be fairly well travelled within Scotland, and so are more likely to have had good exposure to the best Scottish dancers and teachers, and thus they'll be pretty good dancers themselves, and perhaps have a certain recognisable "Scottish" style... Dunno.

I think it's fair to say though that due to this forum and the geographical spread of Ceroc Scotland, it's mainly going to be Ceroc dancers who will travel the most.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Tae see oursel's as others see us....

Hoorah! I actually have some relevant experience to contribute to a dance thread! True story....I have been to five weekenders and at each have had an out of the blue session of four or five dances on the trot with a chap (not ever the same chap) I had never met before that were just magical.

Honest to goodness truth, after each "sesh" the chap has asked me "are you one of those Scotch (sic) birds?" or words to that effect. At no time had I given myself away by speaking (not that I'm terribly broad). I owned up and received a wry smile and usually a request to point out some more of the gang.

Each time I have asked how he could tell because I was, and still am, fascinated by the subject. These are the (paraphrased) answers I remember, there were basically two things, expressed in different ways:

The eyes - you girls always really look like you are enjoying it.
    The eyes - you girls always look at me like there's no-one in the room but me, and it's spooky and scary but wonderful (ok this one was REALLY cute so I can see this being true )
    The stare - you girls can do soooo much with your eyes.
    The expressions - you make faces that are soooo right for the music
    are we getting a consensus here...

Cos you're all sooo easy to lead
    Cos you're all always where I want you to be and where I think you should be.
    Cos none of you ever YANK

But THIS one is my favourite.

Cos 90% of the time you're a dream to lead and the other 10% of the time it feels like you're leading all of a sudden, lots of girls get bolshy and back lead, but this is different, it's sooo subtle and I actually like it...

So there you go - two elements of perceived Scottish Style up for discreditation (it's like nomination, only most of us won't cry).
    personally I put most of my "skill" at weekenders down to being outside a bottle of VC

Pile in...

Blog Entries

naaah - that's just you dancing with Dave a lot but he changes his hair between times to you don't know it's him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet
    The eyes - you girls always really look like you are enjoying it.
    The eyes - you girls always look at me like there's no-one in the room but me, and it's spooky and scary but wonderful (ok this one was REALLY cute so I can see this being true )

Cos 90% of the time you're a dream to lead and the other 10% of the time it feels like you're leading all of a sudden, lots of girls get bolshy and back lead, but this is different, it's sooo subtle and I actually like it...
    Wow I'm lucky if they say, 'Thanks, that was great!'
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Don't think I know that one either Unless it's only taught to us when we're leaving Scotland to go dancing elsewhere so you'll know where we came from

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd
    Don't think I know that one either
    I know exactly the move she means, Franck does it... very well

Blog Entries

Wow I'm lucky if they say, 'Thanks, that was great!'
    oh no, I didn't really mean it like that, how to sound really up yersel in one easy post - these were the things the guys said about Scottish girlS plural - and it was only 5 guys - and it's over the space of 3 years - I just have memory that conveniently filters out the myriad not so good responses.

Ooh! I haven't done that move in ages. I'll have to do it tonight. If it is the one I'm thinking I was taught it at Southport (by Franck).

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet
    ...The eyes - you girls always really look like you are enjoying it.

I did not realise that ZW was Scottish.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I did not realise that ZW was Scottish.
    I think she has been awarded " honorary Scottishness" on account that she's dead cool ..

Thread Information