Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids and Ceroc

Re: Kids and Ceroc

Sara White's Jivenites in Eaton Socon (contact snowwhite on the forum) sometimes has kids (teenagers) attending.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Technically, to be a Ceroc member, I believe you need to be 18, is that correct?
    Not according to the website:
    http://www.ceroc.com/nonmembers/membership.htm

That said, I don't recall agreeing to the anti-competitive clauses on that webpage, so I wonder if the site is out-of-date.

Registered User Katie Kicks Ass's Avatar

I think it varies between Franchises. I started ceroc at 16 and was welcomed with open arms at Ceroc Midlands, but Ceroc Nantwich tried to refuse me entry because I wasn't 17. I feel its more of a maturity thing than an age thing.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Kicks Ass View Post
    I think it varies between Franchises. I started ceroc at 16 and was welcomed with open arms at Ceroc Midlands, but Ceroc Nantwich tried to refuse me entry because I wasn't 17. I feel its more of a maturity thing than an age thing.
    Hmmm. I had to wait until I was 30 before they let me in!

Nowadays any adult working in a public area, where children are present, needs to have a disclosure notice carried out, this involves searching criminal databases. It would not affect the dancers but would definitely affect the teacher, DJ and venue manager, in fact all those who are paid by Ceroc at a class or dance. I think they would also be liable for the cost of the disclosure notice.
    I think the cut-off age is 16 and I have to ask if we would feel comfortable dancing in a class with youngsters, it could present all kinds of problems and personally I don't think it would work.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Nowadays any adult working in a public area, where children are present, needs to have a disclosure notice carried out, this involves searching criminal databases. It would not affect the dancers but would definitely affect the teacher, DJ and venue manager, in fact all those who are paid by Ceroc at a class or dance. I think they would also be liable for the cost of the disclosure notice.
    I think the cut-off age is 16 and I have to ask if we would feel comfortable dancing in a class with youngsters, it could present all kinds of problems and personally I don't think it would work.
    Ummm. From memory, I believe that this only applies to unsupervised children. So, if a parent brought a child, then a disclosure wouldn't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Ummm. From memory, I believe that this only applies to unsupervised children. So, if a parent brought a child, then a disclosure wouldn't be necessary.
    My wife works for South Lanarkshire Council, in East Kilbride Village Theatre; she tells me that often parents bring their children to performances but still ALL those who work with children and the disabled MUST go through disclosure, this may only apply to local authority employees but I'm sure it will apply to a wider area of employment ??

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I have to ask if we would feel comfortable dancing in a class with youngsters
    I've always felt comfortable when dancing in the presence of under-16s, or indeed with under-16s.

What would make you feel uncomfortable about that situation?

it's a shame, but I can understand why some people may be uncomfortable. As a parent, I wouldn't have a problem, but many of the people at ceroc aren't parents, and I can see how they may feel that others would be watching them.

I asked at my local venue about whether there was a minimum age for Ceroc classes as my next door neighbours daughter wanted to try. I was told that the minimum age was 14, but obviously I don't know if that's a Ceroc policy or whether it's left to the discretion of the franchisee.

She did end up coming along and was very enthusiastic. I also remember at another local venue there was a teenage boy that used to come with his parents and he was very good. I had absolutely no problem about dancing with him, ultimately it is only dancing.

I do, however, think that 14 is about the right age and any younger could be awkward. Not just because of ethics of dancing with a child, but also becasue if they were too young height could possibly be an issue.

Commercial Operator

I know of one modern jive teacher who has had to raise the minimum age limit of entry to his classes/evenings to 18.
    This is partly due to the criminal database checks which would be needed ( including the taxi-dancers) and also because it was a requirement of his Public Liability Insurance policy.
    It's a shame but there it is!

I have always found that it is best to check with the franchisee before hand because the story changes from venue to venue and door staff to staff.

Excuses I have been given:
    1. its policy
    2. there is a bar
    3. X doesn't like dancing with your daughter
    4. you have to prove that you are over 18 (several obvious <18 in the room)

There is no arguing with any of these though No 3 is a bit dubious.

Just check beforehand and go to the receptive venue.

Zuhal

Thread Information