Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Females Who Taxi As Men Tough To Lead

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Males Who Taxi As erm.. Men

Just a thought from a different perspective which may relate to the original question.

I reckon that when I've finished taxi duty, my lead probably isn't that good either (certainly not in the first few dances anyway). I think it gets better the more I dance with better followers.

I try to lead Beginners as gently as I can, but with more experienced followers it becomes a lot smoother and easier. It takes time for me to get back into this though.
    Love dance, will travel

Re: Some Females Who Taxi As Men Tough To Lead

Does my following get worse when I taxi (as leader or follower)?

Yes.

A lot of ladies I have 'lead' and 'followed' the tension is usually the same, however, I have to say quite a lot of female leads are quite strong.
    Last edited by Minnie M; 6th-July-2006 at 08:48 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    And also because, no matter how many times the teacher says "This is a male-led dance", saying "Leaders do X" rather than "Guys do X" would not necessarily reach everyone it needed to - whereas girls that lead know that they are in the same role as most of the guys in the room.
    I disagree. Most of the AT classes I've been to have very definitely said "leader" and "follower", not "man / lady". And AT classes are very comfortable with man-man or woman-woman dancing, at least in a class environment. (Never seen man-man dancing socially in AT, but have seen woman-woman a few times).

And I think by emphasizing the task rather than the gender, it reinforces the message that both partners have a job to do. The leader leads, the follower follows.

So apart from any PC sexism nonsense, I think "leader" and "follower" are more useful terms than "man" and "woman", because that emphasises the roles and tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    A lot of ladies I have 'lead' and 'followed' the tension is usually the same, however, I have to say quite a lot of female leads are quite strong.
    Think this might be related to what DavidY said - I've also noticed that male taxis can have a stronger lead than is sometimes comfortable.

If female taxis are mainly dancing with beginners, then they literally might not realise their own strength! - even as a beginner lead, I've noticed the difference between dancing with experienced and non-experienced followers and have occasionally "led too much" with a more experienced follower. And after dancing with a whole run of beginners as a follower, I know that I have to "adjust" to a better leader.

I find I do have to be "stronger" with a beginner follower - it's not so much physical strength always as emphasis - for example, drawing an experienced follower in for a first move is more like a "collection" - you lead them forward and they step forward - their weight is moving forward as your hand is leading them into your side. Whereas you have to bring some beginners "all the way" by taking your hand *right* back before they react to the lead. Not sure if I've made that very clear...

Re: Males Who Taxi As erm.. Men

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    Just a thought from a different perspective which may relate to the original question.

I reckon that when I've finished taxi duty, my lead probably isn't that good either (certainly not in the first few dances anyway). I think it gets better the more I dance with better followers.

I try to lead Beginners as gently as I can, but with more experienced followers it becomes a lot smoother and easier. It takes time for me to get back into this though.
    I dance a lot with beginners, and I don't think I adapt well enough to satisfy the better dancers. I try to do better, but have accepted that that is the way it is.

Thread Information