Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Buying flowers when and why ?

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Re: Buying flowers when and why ?

lemoncake, my Ex left me for exactly the same reasons.. we've not met have we
    Not yet!

I felt terrible having to make the decision. It's a horrible one to feel you have to make. I know you probably don't want to appreciate that but it's worth bearing in mind

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird
    Flowers are nice on any occassion but just to have some sent to you with a message 'thinking of you' is special

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake
    Clueless you sound totally adorable. Hang on in there, you're well on the way to being the perfect catch - a man who can dance (one of the most attractive skills a man can have) and has a romantic streak . Only one question - can you cook?
    I dont really cook as of yet but I have started getting into it, like the occasional steak here and there and sometimes a full Italian meal complete with garnish. My next challenge is mussels!!

Not yet!

I felt terrible having to make the decision. It's a horrible one to feel you have to make. I know you probably don't want to appreciate that but it's worth bearing in mind

well I'm not too bad with it now.. (I won't go as far as saying I'm fine.. but I'm getting there) My main goal was her to be happy. She wasn't happy with me as much as we both loved each other the "spark" for want of a better word had gone out. So although it was pretty traumatic for a while I didn't incur any long term injuries .. just a few tasteful scars.

We're still good friends but I've seen her starting to "go off the rails" a little.. hope this is a temporary thing as a rebound from being engaged to Mr Grey.

but she's happy.. I'm getting there, nothings for ever and you've only got one life so make the most of it.. no point putting up with someone your whole life just because you don't want to hurt them then you then thinking "What if" when it's too late.. Carpe Diem!

Clueless you sound totally adorable. Hang on in there, you're well on the way to being the perfect catch - a man who can dance (one of the most attractive skills a man can have) and has a romantic streak . Only one question - can you cook?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless
    I dont really cook as of yet but I have started getting into it, like the occasional steak here and there and sometimes a full Italian meal complete with garnish. My next challenge is mussels!!

Forum first wedding we all bring

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    nothings for ever and you've only got one life so make the most of it.. no point putting up with someone your whole life just because you don't want to hurt them then you then thinking "What if" when it's too late.. Carpe Diem!
    Good philosophy Beo Have a

basically show them a hot pan!

put a little liquid in a stock pot (Liquid can be melted butter, olive oil a little sherry, some wine.. whatever experiment) when the liquid is hot pour in the mussels and shake pan for a couple of mins.. remove any that didn't open in this time.

then you can do all manner of things with the liquour left over.. reduce it, enrichen it.. what ever.. pour over hot shellish and serve..

however I wouldn;'t thank you for them... I can and have cooked them.. but I don't like them.

My next challenge is mussels!!
    Some good advice from Beo, turning in to resident chef.

Love mussels but never been brave enough to cook them yet, had a very nasty case of food poisoning from mussels once on holiday.

If your going for being the forum cassanova, except a bit more long term, you could always try oysters instead

Good luck with the experimenting!!

Flowers are really lovely and suit every occation or no occation Unfortunately I've got hayfever and various allergies and usually have quite a bad reaction to particularly fresh cut flowers so although I think they are beautiful I normally give rather than buy myself (or receive flowers as my partner knows I'm very allergic - chocolate - a meal or a wee card always works though ).
    We had a little house-warming party last week-end and 3 people brought fresh flowers... again - really kind and sweet and beautiful, but made me feel miserable for quite a while until I used some medicine I'm trying to avoid. One of my guests had to leave shortly after arrival of the flowers due to instant reactions to the flowers as well which was a real shame. For someone who can't cope with most flowers I don't have any vases so bit embarrasing having to cut open Coke bottles to place the flowers in

Take care

Donna

well I'm not too bad with it now.. (I won't go as far as saying I'm fine.. but I'm getting there) My main goal was her to be happy. She wasn't happy with me as much as we both loved each other the "spark" for want of a better word had gone out. So although it was pretty traumatic for a while I didn't incur any long term injuries .. just a few tasteful scars.
    The majority of those in relationships loses it's spark It's normal, yet you say you still loved each other though? So all you needed to do really to get that "spark" back into your relationship is turn for advice. You can buy books on how to get the spark back into a relationship. One e.g - spend one night apart and arrange a date. You both dress up and meet up at a swish restaurant and treat it as if it's your first date. I'm sure you've heard this one before, and quite frankly, I'd feel stupid and wouldn't be able to stop What about the things you used to do when you first started going out? A few months/years down the line, couples no longer do things together like they used to whether it was going to the cinema, bowling etc etc.

but she's happy.. I'm getting there, nothings for ever and you've only got one life so make the most of it.. no point putting up with someone your whole life just because you don't want to hurt them then you then thinking "What if" when it's too late.. Carpe Diem!
    Well if you're happy that's shes happy and vice versa, that's good, plus you're still friends, even better. Some find it extremely difficult to stay in touch with their x.

I don't very often stay in touch my X (he moved down south) but every now and then we send a text and ask how things are going. No harm done. We tried things to put the spark back into our relationship, but it wasn't working. We both wanted different things anyway, and we were so not compatible. Yep love can be blind as they say. You can't see it at first because you simply don't want to know (although I sensed something wasn't quite right from the beginning) but doh I choose to ignore it.

We only lived together for a year, and now I'm back with my parents for the time being. (best place to be Looking for a place of my own now)

Anyway, this is what life is all about. It's a learning experience and helps you to make the right choices in life. I sometimes think what a waste of 3 years that was, but when you really think about it, it's not really.

Back on the subject of flowers - he never ever bought me a bunch! Told you something wasn't right!
    Last edited by Donna; 6th-July-2006 at 01:22 PM.

basically show them a hot pan!

put a little liquid in a stock pot (Liquid can be melted butter, olive oil a little sherry, some wine.. whatever experiment) when the liquid is hot pour in the mussels and shake pan for a couple of mins.. remove any that didn't open in this time.

then you can do all manner of things with the liquour left over.. reduce it, enrichen it.. what ever.. pour over hot shellish and serve..

however I wouldn;'t thank you for them... I can and have cooked them.. but I don't like them.
    Thanks for the advice Beo I'll take that into consideration

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd
    Some good advice from Beo, turning in to resident chef.

Love mussels but never been brave enough to cook them yet, had a very nasty case of food poisoning from mussels once on holiday.

If your going for being the forum cassanova, except a bit more long term, you could always try oysters instead

Good luck with the experimenting!!

As for oysters I'd like to try them. but I'll stick witht he mussels for the moment...They are really nice though....mmmm just love them

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    he never ever bought me a bunch! Told you something wasn't right!
    Ah you were right to move on then!

Hehe

Why have the nerd with the glasses when you can have the "cool" guy with his motor bike.
    Beo, you just need to find the girl that goes for a bit of geek

But, back to the flowers. I've given flowers to friends and relations quite frequently - the usual birthday, anniversary or exam success. I've not given flowers to a guy before but will consider it in future, I've always thought that they would think "Flowers "

Donna

Ah you were right to move on then!

Hehe

and on the subject of mussels, I luuuuuuuuuurve mussels!!! Oysters? Yuuuuuuuk! It's like swallowing a big ball of sn0t! Not for me, thanks!

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Thanks for the advice Beo I'll take that into consideration

As for oysters I'd like to try them. but I'll stick witht he mussels for the moment...They are really nice though....mmmm just love them

Mmm I love mussels but can't bring myself to actually cook them - ethical issues about cooking live things! (and eating things that have to be cooked live, but every now and then I shut my conscience in a box and do it anyway!) - so if you wanted to cook them I'd be a willing audience... also have a fairly iron constitution so probably wouldn't get poisoned

My favourite is mariniere - mind you, if you presented me with a hot bowl of white wine, garlic, cream & parsley and a crusty loaf of bread I'd be just as happy, so maybe I don't need to trouble my ethics!

Oysters - see ethical issues above... :s

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    Beo, you just need to find the girl that goes for a bit of geek

But, back to the flowers. I've given flowers to friends and relations quite frequently - the usual birthday, anniversary or exam success. I've not given flowers to a guy before but will consider it in future, I've always thought that they would think "Flowers "
    I did ONCE get flowers. Valentines day I was in the office. We say the florists van arriving.. a big bunch of flowers came out the back. everybody was laughing and wondering who they were for.. a lot of ladies looked excited.. then the guy came into the office.. and asked for me.

Didn't mind the flowers I was quite touched.. I didn't like the sarcastic comments from the guys and the look of dissapointment on the Girls faces.

(actually truth be told.. i felt so bad I nipped out at lunch time to order a big bunch delivered to "all the delightful ladies at XXXXXX who make working there such a pleasure" I'ms ure they knew it was me.. but they never said and I never owned up!)

I occaisionally buy flowers for myself for the flat.. but prefer pot plants would be absolutely chuffed if someone bought me a pot plant instead of cut flowers !!

Donna

I did ONCE get flowers. Valentines day I was in the office. We say the florists van arriving.. a big bunch of flowers came out the back. everybody was laughing and wondering who they were for.. a lot of ladies looked excited.. then the guy came into the office.. and asked for me.
    Aaaaaawwwwww

Didn't mind the flowers I was quite touched.. I didn't like the sarcastic comments from the guys and the look of dissapointment on the Girls faces

I can imagine all this! Hilarious!

(actually truth be told.. i felt so bad I nipped out at lunch time to order a big bunch delivered to "all the delightful ladies at XXXXXX who make working there such a pleasure" I'ms ure they knew it was me.. but they never said and I never owned up!)
    Bless!

... same general appearance to me..
    Isn't that Gadget?

... confident cocky self assured ...
    I'm practising this... I believe it's possible without being a bastard.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I occaisionally buy flowers for myself for the flat.. but prefer pot plants would be absolutely chuffed if someone bought me a pot plant instead of cut flowers !!
    Kind of the same, one I've finished all the sanding and painting in the house going to get some more plants in to cheer the place up a bit.

Whilst we're on the subject wonder if you can compare flowers/pot plants to relationships?

Cut flowers, beautiful but you know that there aren't going to be around for ever so you just enjoy them whilst you can.

Flowering pot plants, great to start of with but begin to lose there shine. However, with a bit of nutring and care they will keep on flowering and potentially last for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I'm practising this... I believe it's possible without being a bastard.
    I've heard that too but only seen it in a few people

Workshop idea with vague dance tie-in become a more confident self-assured leader, who won't leave their partner after just one dance

Thread Information