Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Buying flowers when and why ?

Re: Buying flowers when and why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    I've not given flowers to a guy before but will consider it in future, I've always thought that they would think "Flowers "
    No no I think it is really sweet whenI get a bunch of flowers I feel all wram and fuzzy inside.

it also let me know that they care about me in the same I do them.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake
    Mmm I love mussels but can't bring myself to actually cook them - ethical issues about cooking live things! (and eating things that have to be cooked live, but every now and then I shut my conscience in a box and do it anyway!) - so if you wanted to cook them I'd be a willing audience... also have a fairly iron constitution so probably wouldn't get poisoned

My favourite is mariniere - mind you, if you presented me with a hot bowl of white wine, garlic, cream & parsley and a crusty loaf of bread I'd be just as happy, so maybe I don't need to trouble my ethics!

Oysters - see ethical issues above... :s

ohh one of the joys of mussels a nice crusty bit of bead to dunk in the sauce after the mussels have been eaten...you cant beat it. you have to try cooking them cause onne you have finished then you can thing.."yeah I cooked that"

sometimes though nothing beats a nice juicy 6 oz rare sirloin steak!! mmmmmm. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Yep love can be blind as they say.
    I have heard a quote about that.. "People say love is blind, but I believe it can see more, becasue it can see more it is willing to see less"
    Last edited by Clueless; 6th-July-2006 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless
    I have heard a quote about that.. "People say love is blind, but I believe it can see more, becasue it can see more it is willing to see less"
    In a few cases it's been more a matter of disco lighting affecting visiblity

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd
    In a few cases it's been more a matter of disco lighting affecting visiblity
    Disco light combined with beer on others

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless
    Disco light combined with beer on others
    Always thought those two went together all too well

With all the various bits of chit chat on this thread, between flowers, gourmet cooking and relationship/break up recovery advice it's rapidly turning into the section for nice single folk who are looking for that someone to whom they could do all these romantic things with...

Always thought those two went together all too well

With all the various bits of chit chat on this thread, between flowers, gourmet cooking and relationship/break up recovery advice it's rapidly turning into the section for nice single folk who are looking for that someone to whom they could do all these romantic things with...
    and you start by buying them flowers, wraps up the thread really

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    and you start by buying them flowers, wraps up the thread really
    seems right note to end on
    with....

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    -there's nothing more depressing than a sheepishly-given (unless you're Little Monkey) bunch of petrol station semi-blooms
    The question is, when given such (and I have been) of course you receive them graciously and with a smile, but you have to balance pleasure that he has thought of you enough to buy you flowers (a genuine smile), with frustration at the minimum effort expended (hidden frustration), and education as to how he could improve in the flower giving experience (not done at the time of receiving the flowers).

Stewart - buy some nice flowers, think about when and where to give them (practical - eg has she somewhere to put them in water, is she going to get embarrassed if you give them to her in front of people) and present them to whoever with a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    -there's nothing more depressing than a sheepishly-given (unless you're Little Monkey) bunch of petrol station semi-blooms
    Well, I've not experienced sheepishly given flowers yet, from petrol station or florist.......

I LOVE flowers, and think the unexpected bunch 'just because' is the best kind! And it doesn't need to be a huge expensive bunch, either! I particularly like sweetpeas, freesias etc, but am VERY ALLERGIC to lillies, daffodils etc. I'm ok with roses, though... Carnations and chrysantemums are safe, too!

I used to have a friend who (if he knew I was a bit down) would pop in to see me at home or at uni with a bunch of flowers. Very often they were the 'yellow sticker' (reduced price) ones from tesco, but he always got me some bright yellow flowers because they would fill my room with sunshine and happiness. I don't care how much they cost, or if they are reduced - the thought put into buying them and choosing a happy colour meant so much, as well as receiving a bunch of flowers totally unexpexted.

I also had a boyfriend who would sometimes buy me a little potted plant or a bunch of flowers 'just because', or to say 'well done' or to cheer me up if I was going through a difficult time. Very much appreciated!

But my absolute favourite must be a hand picked bunch of wild flowers..... Like the one I picked for myself for my birthday! But unfortunately they had to be put on a table outside as they made my hayfever go crazy....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ooooh, and little tiny presents 'just because...' are great, too! or just a funny or cute postcard, sent just because the card reminded you of the recipient, and you wanted to wish them a 'happy Tuesday' (or similar).

And can I say that I'm absolutely gobsmacked and bewildered that some of the lovely, romantic guys on this forum (pmjd, clueless, beo etc) are still single?? What's wrong with you, girls???

Personally I like 'nice guys'. Other girls can have the bar-stewarts, I don't want them! I prefer a nice, romantic, soppy, funny, cuddly guy instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    And can I say that I'm absolutely gobsmacked and bewildered that some of the lovely, romantic guys on this forum (pmjd, clueless, beo etc) are still single?? What's wrong with you, girls???

Personally I like 'nice guys'. Other girls can have the bar-stewarts, I don't want them! I prefer a nice, romantic, soppy, funny, cuddly guy instead!
    one sec while I PM you my address

Actually.. i may be a good cook, considerate and romantic.. but I also have a face like a bulldog with mange chewing a wasp ! the latter cancels out the prior..

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    I find flowers a waste of money. But other people like them, so i will give them for Birthdays, Mothers day etc. If my husband buys them for me, for no apparent reason (happened about 3 times in 22 years ) i do appreciate the thought. ( i also get suspicious that he's after something) But hey, i'm a woman!

A good question though, do men like to receive flowers too? Or is that just toooo girlie!

No. Too girly!

Onkar

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    Actually.. i may be a good cook, considerate and romantic.. but I also have a face like a bulldog with mange chewing a wasp ! the latter cancels out the prior..
    Well they do say love is blind

Nice to see you back little monkey!! Thank you for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    one sec while I PM you my address
    Think Mr Sheepman might get a wee bit upset.....

Well, as I haven't met you yet, I wouldn't know. But I definitely didn't see anyone fitting that description at the BB last month!

Nice to see you back little monkey!! Thank you for the kind words
    Thank you! It's good to be back, too! Missed my ickle doggie like mad when I was away, and was quite upset to come back and discover that she'd got injured whilst in kennels! Nothing serious, but even so.... Also missed dancing, although Greg and I experienced some weird Swedish dancing when we were in Stockholm.... Will tell you about it when I see you next!

In the meantime - don't give up! Girls like guys like you! But finding the right partner can be a bit like finding the famous needle in the haystack. But when you least expect it, it will happen! And should you need anyone to practice flower-giving to ( so you don't get out of practice), I'm a willing guinea pig!

This is the Singleton's Sofa (part II).
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    This is the Singleton's Sofa (part II).
    After my first trip to the sofa involved being captured by Taz, imprisoned in a coffin with beo and squirted with water by Princess Fi, I don't think I'll be back

So maybe the slightly more peaceful singletons sofa, or a safe haven for the guys

After my first trip to the sofa involved being captured by Taz, imprisoned in a coffin with beo and squirted with water by Princess Fi, I don't think I'll be back
    Hah! That's nothing! I was attacked by a magic ball of zips that mangled me and turned me into Zombie Monkey!

I was kept in a cage over night when I turned into my Were-hamster to escape from the coffin.. don't ask !

And weren't all these things more fun than moaning about how nobody loves you?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Locked in a coffin etc, V's moaning about lack of a love life

Mmm................it's a tough call

Thread Information