Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CAKE! :drool:

Re: CAKE! :drool:

Just tried out an unusual cake recipe which turned out to be a real success - it's basically a carrot cake but with the addition of shredded beetroot. Has anyone else made a cake using beetroot or any other unusual ingredient?

The Dashing Moderator

The canteen at work sells chocolate cake with added beetroot.

Many people say it's really nice but I'm afraid I'm not a beetroot fan so it doesn't do much for me.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I really like baking (and eating) carrot cake. I'm having problems with my cream cheese frosting, however. When I add the icing sugar the consistency goes really runny so it drips off the cake when applied. It's only started doing this recently, same recipe & all. I've put it down to declining cream cheese standards. Fings just ain't what they used to be, even Philadelphia. Any one know how to fix this problem?
    Mine used to do that not sure why. Now my cream cheese frosting recipe (it might be the same one just read properly, can't remember) doesn't have icing sugar in it - but 'normal' sugar.

225g / 8oz cream cheese, 50g / 2oz butter (softened), 50g / 2oz soft light brown sugar, few drops of vanilla extract
    Put everything into a bowl and beat until light n fluffy.

I've tried this with Phillie and Lidl's own cream cheese and it's worked fine with both. As for the carrot cake to go underneath it...I couldn't possibly tell...

Ooops!

Hadn't seen this thread before and presumed it was new , now I realise I've just replied to a post that's over 2 years old!

I'll read the rest before I post any more replies.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    The canteen at work sells chocolate cake with added beetroot.

Many people say it's really nice but I'm afraid I'm not a beetroot fan so it doesn't do much for me.
    My mum used to make a chocolate cake with beetroot in it - I didn't even know the first time I tried it - couldn't taste the beetroot - but was the most delciously moist chocolate cake!!!

Ok people... I'm looking for recipes for lemon drizzle cake and a moist chocolate cake... Anyone help?

Thank you!!!

I have an excellent lemon cake recipe.. but cannot share it on pain of death from the forumite of the same name .

however were I to PM you the recipe for my orange drizzle cake.. and .. i don't know... you somehow extrapolated the information you require from it.. you might be able to come up with something edible..

I have a nice moist choc cake recipe too.. AFAIK it's not covered by any official secrets act. I have it in my personal recipe folder at home.. I'll copy it out for you this evening

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3...chocolate-cake

It really is - gooey, chocolatey, moist...

ok question for all you bakers out there..

As much as I enjoy baking my waist line doesn't appreciate the extra calories. I also have a diabetic father and (a) want to be able to give him some of my baking when he visits and (b) don't want to tempt fate with my VERY sweet tooth.

Anyone got any advice on replacing sugar with other substitutes and generally making cakes more healthy.. or at least , making them less unhealthy. After all cake by it's very nature is a sweet treat and will never be classified as a health food

I though about switching from Sugar to Honey. Obviously a calorie is a calories is a calorie regardless if it comes from refined sugar or honey. But IIRC because suagr is so refined it's far to easily absorbed, where honey etc is more complex and needs to be broken down more. (my grasp of food sciences , nutrition and biological processes is shaky here)

Also converting sugar (Dry) to Honey (moist) would also affect the cake in texture etc would it not? I heard that swapping some sugar for something like ground almonds.. while not really adding much to the sweetness would keep the dry components of the cake in roughly the same proportions yet would reduce the overall sweetness of the cake.. although not nessesarily the calorie content.. 100g of granulated sugar is about 400 kcal /100g where 100g of ground almonds is about 600 kCal !)

I've also read that changing to something like Splenda also has problems in that cakes don't rise so much and according to the Splenda site the recommend that you include half a cup of nonfat dry milk powder and half a teaspoon of baking soda for every one cup of Splenda used.

Anyone got any advice? I know the sensible thing is "don't make/eat cakes" but it would be a very long boring life if I only drank boiled water and ate raw veg from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Anyone got any advice on replacing sugar with other substitutes and generally making cakes more healthy
    As an aside, and for an example. One of the things I've been baking of late are Berry Muffins (recipe from the Open University no less )

Now they're not sickeningly unhealthy and I had been using these as a breakfast muffin. but they are VERY Sweet. here's the recipe as it stands (it makes about 18 muffins.. even though the recipe says 12.. I must have a smaller muffin tray)

300g Flour
    100g Porridge Oats
    1tsp Bicarb of Soda
    4tsp Baking Powder
    150g Caster sugar
    200ml Natural Yoghrut
    200ml Skimmed Milk
    2 large eggs
    150g Butter - melted
    300g Blueberries
    100g Dried Cranberries.

Basic method is mix all the dry together (sans fruit).. mix the wet ingredients together (and don't scramble the eggs in the hot butter as I did initially ) Mix dry with Wet then fold in berries.

these take about 20-25 mins in a 200°c oven.

Now obviously there's a bit of Sugar and Butter in there. I could substitute the butter for a less fattening marge/ lite butter perhaps? (545 kcal/100g as opposed to about 720 kCal/100g) I had though about taking 1/2 the sugar out and adding in Ground Almonds and replacing the other 1/2 of sugar with Honey (about 300 kCal / 100g)

This would serve two things.. it would make them overall more healthy and, as they are breakfast muffins they would be more "filling" and keep me full for longer.

would this work? or would I end up with an inedible soggy mess??

Berry Muffins
    Can you freeze them Beo?

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Can you freeze them Beo?
    Have never tried but I guess so.. The only problem with freezing fruit is with them bursting the cell structure and defrosting into mush.. but as they're cooked they're pretty much as mushed as they're going to get.

I see no reason why they can't freeze.

Mind you individually they're still pretty bad. did a back of an envelope calculation last night (ok.. so I used google and excel .. so sue me ) and as they stand they tally up as follows

Calories 206.3
    Carb 28.8
    Protein 4.4
    Fat 8.5

Not the most evil thing in the world (not compared to an Aberdeenshire buttery at least) but pretty heavy on the old calories and fat there.

Calories 206.3
    Carb 28.8
    Protein 4.4
    Fat 8.5

pretty heavy on the old calories and fat there.
    That's not too bad actually, as long as you only eat one, not all of them all at once that's why I was asking if you can freeze them so I can make a load and not feel I have to eat them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    That's not too bad actually, as long as you only eat one, not all of them all at once that's why I was asking if you can freeze them so I can make a load and not feel I have to eat them all.
    I thought you were going for cryogenics - thinking you could freeze them instead of Bury (berry) Muffins (IGMC - I'll Get My Coat!)

The one in front of me

Wonder if there's a mini roll left in the cuboard

Anyone got any advice on replacing sugar with other substitutes and generally making cakes more healthy.. or at least , making them less unhealthy.
    If I've ever wanted to cut down on the sugar in a cake recipe, I've done exactly that - halved (or less) the quantity in the recipe. To replace the sense of sweetness I've added some kind of dried fruit, or used low-sugar jam as the filling. It hasn't ever affected the density of the cake - it's still come out light and fluffy though if you were worried about that you could always add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder per 120g of flour.

Now obviously there's a bit of Sugar and Butter in there. I could substitute the butter for a less fattening marge/ lite butter perhaps? (545 kcal/100g as opposed to about 720 kCal/100g)
    I wouldn't substitute butter for marge. Marge is made from hydrogenated veg fats which if eaten in large enough quantities there's a risk they're carcinogenic (and it doesn't taste so good). If you really want to substitute the butter, try using liquid veg oil. I have a vegan cake recipe that does this and it's lovely, but lacks the richness that eating cake is all about!

Anyone got any advice on replacing sugar with other substitutes and generally making cakes more healthy.. or at least , making them less unhealthy.
    Um...

...have you thought about having a) less and/or b) smaller slices? Finishing the cake over the course of a week, rather than within 30 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Um...

...have you thought about having a) less and/or b) smaller slices? Finishing the cake over the course of a week, rather than within 30 minutes?
    Oi you !! NO CAKE FOR YOU* when you and Twirly are off to Southport at the end of May !!

* ok perhaps just a Soupçon Bijou Slicette or twenty

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Any recipe that starts with butter and asks to melt it, I immediately reach for the sunflower oil bottle. Healthier, cheaper, less faff (no chance of scrambling the beaten eggs in hot butter!) and no noticeable degradation of taste in any of the recipes I use. No one's complained about my chocolate brownies yet!

Thread Information