Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7/7 Remembered

7/7 Remembered

I see the police have increased there presence at Euston and no doubt other main line stations and on the underground

Not sure if the 2 mins silence on Friday is for London only ??

Got troops now being killed in Afghanistan why are we in places like that ?

Iraq has a 7/7 or worse nearly every day

Donna

Re: 7/7 Remembered

I see the police have increased there presence at Euston and no doubt other main line stations and on the underground
    Hmmm that's worrying. I'd avoid it for a week or two.

Not sure if the 2 mins silence on Friday is for London only ??
    I shouldn't think so!

Got troops now being killed in Afghanistan why are we in places like that ?

Iraq has a 7/7 or worse nearly every day
    I think we should all spend the two minutes thinking about those who have died both in London in and Afghanistan and also those who have lost loved ones.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Hmmm that's worrying. I'd avoid it for a week or two.
    Why? You are no more or less likely to get caught up in any terrorist campaign now as you were a week/a month/a year ago! So many people stopped travelling into London in the exact aftermath of 7/7, it was stupid, you were more likely to get caught up in something on 6/7 than you were on 8/7!

I'm not going to start saying the old "If you stop then you've just let them win" thing, but life really does go on, regardless, and you just have to keep on with it. You could stay at home if you like, but seeing as soemthing like 90% of fatal accidents happen in the home, why bother?

Some of us aren't so lucky as to be able to say we'll stop travelling on the underground, for an awful lot of people its the ONLY way to get to work! To be honest, I'm more concerned about getting stuck on a broken down train in a tunnel in this heatwave than about terrorist activity! That said, I'm glad to see more police around, they make me feel safer, I'd like to think that terrorists are less likely to attack if they see them, but I doubt that's true. What I'd like to know is, where were they last week, when the threat was just as high as it was this morning?

Donna

Why?
    I guess that's just me. I've only been on the underground once since, and I felt slightly nervous about it. I suppose if you're used to travelling on the underground though, you get used to it again. Still, I'm sure a lot of those people still feel uneasy and occasionally scan around in case their is anything suspicious going on.

You are no more or less likely to get caught up in any terrorist campaign now as you were a week/a month/a year ago! So many people stopped travelling into London in the exact aftermath of 7/7, it was stupid, you were more likely to get caught up in something on 6/7 than you were on 8/7!
    I understand what you're saying. The chances of getting run over by a bus tomorrow is bigger, but then there are ways of avoiding that too - just by looking around you first. It's understandable that people want to carry on with their lives as normal, and of course, that's how it should be - but just how much should we relax?

I'm not going to start saying the old "If you stop then you've just let them win" thing, but life really does go on, regardless, and you just have to keep on with it.
    I was just going to say this - that if everybody continues to live in fear and unable to carry on with their everyday lives, then of course you're just giving them what they want - but my opinion is that we should all keep our eyes open every now and then and not be afraid of reporting anything slightly odd. It could save lives. You can do this and still get on with it at the same time.

That said, I'm glad to see more police around, they make me feel safer, I'd like to think that terrorists are less likely to attack if they see them, but I doubt that's true. What I'd like to know is, where were they last week, when the threat was just as high as it was this morning?
    This is what they love doing - teasing. They like to get everybody thinking as to when the next one will be. It could be next year, the year after or even the year after that. So, no point trying to figure out when the next one will be, there is no point.

At least the police are doing a great job, and all the public can do is help them by keeping their eyes open too. It's all about looking out for each other.

TiggsTours

Still, I'm sure a lot of those people still feel uneasy and occasionally scan around in case their is anything suspicious going on.

- but my opinion is that we should all keep our eyes open every now and then and not be afraid of reporting anything slightly odd. It could save lives. You can do this and still get on with it at the same time.

At least the police are doing a great job, and all the public can do is help them by keeping their eyes open too. It's all about looking out for each other.
    Absolutely, but the key thing is to always do this, I would always pay attention to an unattended bag, ask if it belongs to anyone, and I'd like to say I'd always report it, but would I? I have to admit there have been times I've seen a seemingly unattended bag and thought to myself, "If I report that, they'll close the station and I'll end up with a really crappy journey home" and just left it. How would I feel if that unattended bag turned out to be a bomb, and people died because I was more concerned about how long it would take me to get home if they closed the station? Probably worse than if I was one of the unfortunate ones who got caught in the explosion!

Straight after 7/7 I was working with an Aussie girl, who became really scared about travelling on the tube, she couldn't understand why nobody else in our office was. Its like we said to her, if we stop and think about it, sure its scary, but you just have to get on with it, and having lived all our lives in this country (and in particular in London) and grown up with the threat of the IRA bombs that used to have so much control of our lives for those many years, for many of us this sense of high-vigillence was just a return to the norm. That said, at least the IRA usually used to send out warnings!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    So many people stopped travelling into London in the exact aftermath of 7/7, it was stupid, you were more likely to get caught up in something on 6/7 than you were on 8/7!
    You have no way of knowing that - from a terrorists point of view they really would have affected the publics view of the safety transport if there had bombs 2 days in a row.

Its like we said to her, if we stop and think about it, sure its scary, but you just have to get on with it, and having lived all our lives in this country (and in particular in London) and grown up with the threat of the IRA bombs that used to have so much control of our lives for those many years, for many of us this sense of high-vigillence was just a return to the norm. That said, at least the IRA usually used to send out warnings!
    Having lived through 'the Troubles' in Ulster, there is a certain element of becoming 'used' to the threat of violence. Yes there were warnings but not always and the information was not always correct. The closest I've been personally is a controlled explosion or evacuated building but have known people who have lived through a bomb attack or lost relatives. They still go with life as normal, though I totally understand people's fears.

I feel perfectly safe in NI, though my family are always very concerned when I'm over in big, bad London!

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Having lived through 'the Troubles' in Ulster, there is a certain element of becoming 'used' to the threat of violence. Yes there were warnings but not always and the information was not always correct. The closest I've been personally is a controlled explosion or evacuated building but have known people who have lived through a bomb attack or lost relatives. They still go with life as normal, though I totally understand people's fears.

I feel perfectly safe in NI, though my family are always very concerned when I'm over in big, bad London!
    That's the difference between being safe at home and being away though. My parents worry about me living in London, when I drive home from Brighton I have to call them to let them know I'm home safely, I spent 8 months travelling around South America on my own, 2 weeks in Rio, the City with the highest crime rate in the world, with no trouble at all, but if I haven't phoned them within 2 hours of setting off to drive home they worry!

I'm not saying that the sense of normality when living under the threat of terrorism is right, and I did say the IRA usually gave out warnings, I'm just saying that the past few years have, to me at least, felt like a return to normality. I personally find it totally normal to be aware of unattended articles, people behaving strangely, suspicious looking vehicles that appear to have been abandoned, I think its just a normal instinct of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    You have no way of knowing that - from a terrorists point of view they really would have affected the publics view of the safety transport if there had bombs 2 days in a row.
    And you are of course right about this, but one of the main reasons you were safer the day after than the day before was because of everybody's increased sense of vigilence, and the increase in security on the streets.

That's the difference between being safe at home and being away though. My parents worry about me living in London, when I drive home from Brighton I have to call them to let them know I'm home safely, I spent 8 months travelling around South America on my own, 2 weeks in Rio, the City with the highest crime rate in the world, with no trouble at all, but if I haven't phoned them within 2 hours of setting off to drive home they worry!
    Me too! Yet I've been in much more dangerous parts of the world (on one occasion in West Africa for 3 months with no telephone/email contact). But somehow the threat of danger in the familiar environment can be more unsettling.
    I'm not saying that the sense of normality when living under the threat of terrorism is right, and I did say the IRA usually gave out warnings, I'm just saying that the past few years have, to me at least, felt like a return to normality. I personally find it totally normal to be aware of unattended articles, people behaving strangely, suspicious looking vehicles that appear to have been abandoned, I think its just a normal instinct of survival.
    And what is 'normal' can vary. It used to be normal to have your bags checked by security before you went into any shop in Belfast. I remember going into M&S on Oxford Street once and holding my bag open for the security guard automatically, before remembering that I wasn't in Belfast. (We don't need to do this any more).

Absolutely, but the key thing is to always do this, I would always pay attention to an unattended bag, ask if it belongs to anyone, and I'd like to say I'd always report it, but would I? I have to admit there have been times I've seen a seemingly unattended bag and thought to myself, "If I report that, they'll close the station and I'll end up with a really crappy journey home" and just left it. How would I feel if that unattended bag turned out to be a bomb, and people died because I was more concerned about how long it would take me to get home if they closed the station? Probably worse than if I was one of the unfortunate ones who got caught in the explosion!
    I had exactly this dilemna recently. As I left Mansion House tube station, there was an abandoned TM Lewin shopping bag on the steps - I could see a white towel in it. I walked past it, glanced back and left the station. I thought about going back to report it to the station manager, but decided that I'd rather (selfishly) go to work and phone it in (it's a 5 minute walk to the office). I couldn't bear that thought of going back in there, just in case. But neither could I just leave it, so I called and reported it. No idea if they closed the station or not.

During the 1st Gulf War, I worked at the University of Westminster School of Languages - so a pretty mixed student population We got evacuated at least once a week, usually losing about half a day. We were told that because of the structure of the building (modern, but gaps between the walls) it would take weeks and cost thousands to do a search properly everytime someone said they had planted a bomb there. So they just kept us out for a while and if nothing had exploded, sent us back in. Not very reassuring.

I agree with the idea that you get used to these things though. For those of us who have grown up with them, we can be far more sanguine, for those that haven't, they must seem more horrifying and the local populace's acceptance that life goes on very bizarre.

More police on the ground in london as expected

Less people today on the tube (well Euston to bank via Kingscross), i got a seat !!

Life goes on

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I'm glad to see more police around, they make me feel safer, I'd like to think that terrorists are less likely to attack if they see them, but I doubt that's true. What I'd like to know is, where were they last week, when the threat was just as high as it was this morning?
    They were out catching criminals.

At least the police are doing a great job
    How on earth can you tell?

Few more police at Kings Cross as I got off the train, otherwise no different from a normal day.

Just as it should be for those, who like me, were not affected by being present at one of the bombsites, or injury or bereavement last year.

I don't know if any other train services were doing it, but Scotrail had notices on the information boards today about everyone respecting a two minute silence at midday.

Oh and I suppose I really should say Hi, I only logged onto this dance mad forum yesterday, I've been looking around and I already feel at home. Thanks

Whitetiger

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518
    I don't know if any other train services were doing it, but Scotrail had notices on the information boards today about everyone respecting a two minute silence at midday.

Oh and I suppose I really should say Hi, I only logged onto this dance mad forum yesterday, I've been looking around and I already feel at home. Thanks

Whitetiger
    We're doing it at our work, I'll probably go and stand out in the street, I doubt there's many places (certainly in London) that won't be doing it.

We're doing it at our work, I'll probably go and stand out in the street, I doubt there's many places (certainly in London) that won't be doing it.

Don’t think their standing in the street ??

That was very moving last yr , but as LMC said its really for some a private matter

I was against all these 1 min 2 min and 3 min silences and guess still am but have a heavy bias on this one.

I for one shall be taking part in the two minute silence.

I should have been on one of the tubes that was bombed that day but missed it by about 30secs as the barrier rejected my ticket! Instead, I had a close escape, sitting on a tube for two hours and walking down the tunnels was by no means nice but I was sooo lucky!

I haven't stopped travelling on the tube, to me that would be letting them win, but when I do it makes me think about how lucky I was that day!

The two minute silence for me is not only a time to pay respect to those that lost their lives in this tragic event but also a chance to reflect on my own life.

I know that today during the silence I will be thinking about all those that weren't as lucky as me. I will also be thinking about how lucky I was to escape and all the fantastic opportunities I have been afforded so far in my life and all those that are still to come!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer

I should have been on one of the tubes that was bombed that day but missed it by about 30secs as the barrier rejected my ticket! Instead, I had a close escape, sitting on a tube for two hours and walking down the tunnels was by no means nice but I was sooo lucky!

I haven't stopped travelling on the tube, to me that would be letting them win, but when I do it makes me think about how lucky I was that day!

The two minute silence for me is not only a time to pay respect to those that lost their lives in this tragic event but also a chance to reflect on my own life.

I know that today during the silence I will be thinking about all those that weren't as lucky as me. I will also be thinking about how lucky I was to escape and all the fantastic opportunities I have been afforded so far in my life and all those that are still to come!
    You are so lucky!

It's strange how it takes something like this, being close to death, that makes us realise just how lucky we are, and how precious/short life really is. It can happen to any one of us at any time. As somebody once told me, " we all have a date and time stamped on our necks."

And you're right to not stop travelling on the tube - you'd be letting them win.

Another thing - I can't believe it happened a year ago already!

I read the news yesterday, and apparently there are going to more attacks in the future, and it's been said it could be even bigger than the train bombings last year. Very sad people out there!

All you can do is keep your eyes open for anything suspicious and at least the police are doing a great job of keeping it under control.

How on earth can you tell?
    Well the fact they're there means they're doing a good job!
    Last edited by Donna; 7th-July-2006 at 01:26 PM.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Georgious dancer

What a beautiful positive story to come out of such a tragic day.

I remember that on that day, even though I was nowhere near the areas of London that were attacked, there was a real sense that it could so easily have been me. I thought that I'd felt that way before, you always get the old "those sorts of things only ever happen to other people" thing, and very occassionally something happens that makes you realise that to other people YOU are one of those other people, but I'd never felt it so strongly as I did that day.

Although that isn't a pleasant thought, it never actually frightened me though, I just felt determined that I wasn't going to let them beat me! I was going to continue to live my life the way I do, and nobody was going to stop me, I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm not hurting anyone, and if they have to kill me to stop me doing that, then so be it! If my number's up, so be it.

I spent the 2 minutes rethinking everything I felt on that day, refelcting on my feelings about it, not feeling sad for those who were killed and injured, just feeling glad to be who I am, and living in a country that is free, and not living in fear.

Fake ID to promote Lindsay's events Dorothy's Avatar

Can't believe that was a year ago.
    Thoughts are with everyone who was affected, such an awful incident, hope we don't see anything else like that in the UK for quite some time.

Thread Information