Thread: Modern jive in Glasgow - choices

Modern jive in Glasgow - choices

I'm considering having a couple of days in Glasgow in September or October , the MJ dance alternatives being one of the Saturday parties (1 night dancing) or Tuesday and Wednesday (2 nights dancing). Which would be better? Or should I consider another base altogether (though personally I was kind of intending to renew my acquaintance with Glasgow)? What's the WCS scene like in Edinburgh, for instance?

(omg, Glasgow not Galsgow)
    Last edited by Yogi_Bear; 3rd-July-2006 at 11:01 PM.

The Perfect Woman!

Re: Modern jive in Glasgow - choices

mm I'm interested to know the options too - MJ and WCS - but for a week in aug when I'll be up for the edinburgh festival, but prepared to travel !!

I'm told I'll be in edinburgh for the edinburgh party (27th?)...

Foxy

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Modern jive in Galsgow - choices

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear
    I'm considering having a couple of days in Glasgow in September or October
    In September there are a couple of weekends of dancing. 8th and 9th Sept is the pre comp party night and the Scottish comp in Mussleburgh. 23rd and 24th we've a guest teacher coming to the Albert Hall, Stirling and there will be a tea-dance on the Sunday.
    October there's the Focus weekend in Kirriemuir as well as the 2 room monthly party in Glasgow and a party in the fabulous Bonar Hall in Dundee.

Foxy,
    If you're in town for the Edinburgh party then you should make the Focus workshop and tea-dance in Stirling on the Sunday
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    ~snip~Foxy,
    If you're in town for the Edinburgh party then you should make the Focus workshop and tea-dance in Stirling on the Sunday

- And please be sure to let us know when you're going to be around so we don't miss you!

On the WCS scene, Graham Fox is planning a monthly WCS tea dance on a Sunday afternoon in a location handy for both Glasgow and Edinburgh. I don't know anything more than yet though...

Brady and Lindsay also teach at a monthly WCS event in Dundee. Not sure of the timing of that either.

During the week, Graham restarts his regular classes in August. And Lindsay restarts hers in September after the festival is over.

Here's Lindsay's web site, and here's Graham's – it needs updating.

Hope to see you both when you're up.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe
    In September there are a couple of weekends of dancing. 8th and 9th Sept is the pre comp party night and the Scottish comp in Mussleburgh. 23rd and 24th we've a guest teacher coming to the Albert Hall, Stirling and there will be a tea-dance on the Sunday.
    October there's the Focus weekend in Kirriemuir as well as the 2 room monthly party in Glasgow and a party in the fabulous Bonar Hall in Dundee.

Foxy,
    Thanks - the focus weekend sounds intriguing....do you have any details yet?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear
    Thanks - the focus weekend sounds intriguing....do you have any details yet?
    You get dinner on Friday and Saturday night with breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Here is the homepage for the hotel. There will be a party on Friday and Saturday night and a tea-dance on Sunday afternoon.

• The workshops Franck will be teaching on the 20th/22nd October are as follows:

- Connection: Separating the connection from the lead to create a smoother and more together feel to the dance and to allow subtle body leads.

- Footwork: Sweeps and Slides. Adding impressive sweeps and slides to your dancing, by using good connection and frame to perform seemingly impossible effects.

- Dancing patterns: Combining slotted dancing, circular patterns and various hybrids to use the dance floor optimally. Controlling the patterns you and your partner draw on the floor will improve your lead & follow as well as adding stylish precision to your dancing.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Thread Information