Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taxi dancers: Minimum Necessary Criteria (MNC) training

Re: Taxi dancers: Minimum Necessary Criteria (MNC) training

Just re-reading & thinking about Taz' post on the review process - v. interesting, and thinking about it, very useful.

From FL's experience, it sounds like pre-appointment vetting isn't necessarily that effective. But watching taxis in action would/could be. I think I'd prefer it to be continuous assessment though so whatever I was not doing so well could be corrected ASAP. There's also the 'nerves' aspect to someone sitting there and watching you with a checklist on a clipboard

What's covered by appearance Taz? - I'm sure it's just that you're clean and reasonably tidy, as the punters are seeing you as a representative of Ceroc, but is there anything else?

Do the assessors ask for feedback on the taxis from the punters?

And is taxi "behaviour" in freestyle also covered? - I confess that I sometimes fret that I'm not working hard enough, 'cos sometimes there aren't that many beginners in Stevenage and I run out (only 3 guys in the review class the other week) - but if I haven't got around all the guys in the review class then I will decline all other offers "until I'm off duty". I'll freestyle with women when I'm off duty, but not when I'm on duty - I tell girls then that the guys need all the help they can get and I have to be a follower

The Perfect Woman!

Lightbulb Re: Taxi dancers: Minimum Necessary Criteria (MNC) training

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I'll dispute - I've always thought of demos as, well, stretch limos - i.e. like a taxi dancer in that they are "working" - but dancing with anyone rather than "just" beginners. Are demos paid? I didn't think they were, and if they're not, then I don't think so much should be expected of them as of a teacher
    They're not paid, although they do get an admit one in Ceroc London, and I guess it depends on how you want to play the game... and what the teacher expects...

Teachers I demo for expect demo's to dance with punters, help them if necessary, all levels, and to spread themselves around... ie not to only dance with their favourites... I consider it part of the job and I enjoy it.. I know that many teachers don't expect this, and many demo's both male and female would not want to do this - which is a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    Teachers I demo for expect demo's to dance with punters, help them if necessary, all levels, and to spread themselves around... ie not to only dance with their favourites... I consider it part of the job and I enjoy it.. I know that many teachers don't expect this, and many demo's both male and female woudl not want to do this - which is a shame...
    I agree and for being so committed (since I'm just a beginner lead I'll try to pluck up the courage to ask for a dance next time I see you )

You're very experienced and knowledgeable, so the following don't apply in your case, but my thinking was more along the lines that many demos wouldn't be up to the same 'standard' of feedback and assistance as would be expected from a teacher. Often, it's one of the off-duty taxis who demos in Stevenage (never me, I'm not stylish enough ) and I don't think any of us are up to "teacher" standard (3 of the 4 of us - including me - definitely ain't).

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll dispute - I've always thought of demos as, well, stretch limos
    "Stretch Limos" Copyright DavidJames, 2005 - that'll be 50p, thanks

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I'm training new taxi-dancers at Muswell Hill, and I'm doing my best to make sure they know their arses, elbows, which end is 'up' and other useful stuff.

The one thing you can't train someone to have is the right attitude though. So give me that, and I'll work on the rest.

I'll dispute - I've always thought of demos as, well, stretch limos
    I'd say FoxyLady was more like a Bentley - super smooth and you never want the (...ahem..) ride to stop

The most important criteria for a female taxi imo is being able to follow, and not backleading except as a last resort. (Yes, I have followed in a couple of xmas classes, so I know it's difficult with complete beginners)

There do seem to be two distinct classes of taxis, those with some experience, and those who are more at a teacher/competition level (obviously not so many of these) - and from a leaders point of view both are useful (assuming that the aim is to learn to dance)

Sean

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    I would say in most cases. So the MNC would be 2 arms, 2 legs and a pulse....
    I think you'll find that goes against disability discrimination laws.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_4711
    I have recently become a Taxi Dancer, and this is how it happened:

I filled in an application form which asked questions such as why I wanted to become one, why I thought I would be good as one, what I thought the job entailed etc, and I was supplied with a Job Description.

I was then visited at one of my regular venues during a Beginners Class to be assessed - the assessor danced along side me both as lead and follow and we then had a talk with a quick overview of what would be expected, what we (there were two of us being assessed that evening) were signing up for and to ensure we were still happy to go ahead with our application.

When a position became available I was sent a list of Beginner Moves along with the phraseology that we should use to call each move, and encouraged to attend some of the Review Classes in the weeks running up to my first session to get a feel for how they should be run.

I also assisted the Taxi Dancers the week before I was due to start, while they were greeting and signing up the Newbies to see what happened during that part of the evening (this was at my own request).

For the first couple of weeks we (my Taxi partner is new as well) were shadowed by experienced Taxis to ensure we were 'doing it right' and to help out if there were any problems.

(This would have happened before I started, but it was unfortunate timing that it was not possible ... ) The week after my first Taxi session I (and 6 other new Taxis) attended a half day training session where we were run through a Taxi Dancer's night in great detail - what we are expected to do, how we should do it, what to do if this, that or the other happened, where to be and when etc. - and got a chance to ask all those niggly little questions that had been preying on our minds. We also took part in a 'mock' Taxi Session to practice calling and timing the moves, each one of us doing 2 moves picked at random there and then. We were supplied with full written instructions on how to run the class (order, what to include, what to look for, what not to do etc), a separate list of hints,tips and general instructions, not just for the class but about being a Taxi in general, a further list of 'things to look out for' for each individual move, as well as another copy of the phraseology and job description. Pretty exhaustive really!! The training session was absolutely invaluable!!

Does that answer the question?
    I think that all answers the question of what should happen, but not what does happen in all franchises. My problem has always been the lack of consistency across franchises, and this is a great example of one that's got it right!

When I became a taxi it was a little different, they people I went to work for had known me for years, so all I had to do was ask, we did (about a year later) have a half days training, but that never happened again in our franchise (that was about 4 years ago now). The most vetting I've seen of new taxi dancers at our franchise now is that I was asked to go and have a dance with some bloke to see what I thought of him.

I gave up taxiing a few months ago now, primarily down to my feeling on this lack of consistency, and lack of respect for the role taxi dancers play in some franchises.

Commercial Operator

You cant teach DEMO, we just...... are

I have been Demoing CEROC for 3 years on and off, all over the south east. Firstly the renumeration package, varies from franchise to franchise, it can be just free entry on the night or it can be as much as free entry on the night and an "Admit one".....oh and free bottle of water sometimes too .

When Demoing for a teacher regularly at any venue, I feel I am part of that venue team and apart from the run up to a competition(I still try to dance quite a few with the punters), I like to "work the floor" quite hard, I just feel its part of the job, its a partnership.

What training do we get, none, we rely on our innate ability to pick up any, and i do mean any CEROC(ish) routine in under five mins, be good straight "men" for the hilarious one liners our dear teaching partners come out with . Oh and of course all your own teeth.

Plus we are all extremely good looking, witty and refined people in real life.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr
    I have been Demoing CEROC for 3 years on and off, all over the south east. Firstly the renumeration package, varies from franchise to franchise, it can be just free entry on the night or it can be as much as free entry on the night and an "Admit one".....oh and free bottle of water sometimes too .
    I'm told you've really made it as a demo when the teacher gets your name right every time.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox
    I would say in most cases. So the MNC would be 2 arms, 2 legs and a pulse....
    I think you'll find that goes against disability discrimination laws.
    But spare a thought for all the undead who'll be excluded, despite Simon Pegg and Ed Wright's best efforts with their campaign film from a couple of years back.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    I'm told you've really made it as a demo when the teacher gets your name right every time.

You have to forgive them, bless em, they're Ceroc teachers they know no better

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

What's covered by appearance Taz? - I'm sure it's just that you're clean and reasonably tidy, as the punters are seeing you as a representative of Ceroc, but is there anything else?
    All of the above buut you have to wear Black bottoms with your clean ironed Taxi T-shirt.

Do the assessors ask for feedback on the taxis from the punters?
    Nope Shhh Don't give them any more ideas

And is taxi "behaviour" in freestyle also covered?
    Yes. You are assessed on your behaviour with the new people, I.E. When they first walk through the door you take them off to complete their forms and explain what it is they are to expect from the evening then take them to the frount of the que to receive their new member card. Once the class starts one taxi partner is to stay on the main desk for about 10 minutes just in case any more newbies arrive after the teacher has started. Then you are assessed on your behaviour in the class. Then on the first part of freestyle I.E wheter you hunt out the newbies and get them dancing with you. In the main class and taxi class Women are only allowed to follow with the exception of when you have come off the end in your taxi class you can then lead until you move the ladies on again to which we join in the move around.

Intesting ............

It appears it depends on the Franchisee ........

Silly really, if the Franchisee wants to succeed and produce good dancers they need good taxi dancers, so it is their interest to train them and to give them incentive

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Well, I'm with ESG in that attitude is more important initially than teaching ability.

Where the "system" seems to fail is that many franchises seem to appoint the friendliest dancers as taxis and then don't follow up with any kind of training or checks that they are "doing their job". I've flatteringly been told that I do a very good job - but have never had specific feedback, and have never had any training. Many of the review classes I went to as a beginner (and I went to various venues) literally just went over class moves, with hardly anything, sometimes nothing on technique/etiquette - the basics of which I always try to cover if I'm running the review class (a bit of lead & follow, spinning, personal hygiene, etc). I know I wouldn't be doing a good job if it hadn't been for the help of people on here. None of the other taxis at Stevenage are on here AFAIK

As far as i know taxi dancers aren't paid (in Scotland anyway). Is it fair to expect them to train up without payment? I'd be happy to taxi dance (if I woz good enough ) but it's quite a committment I'd imagine, and a lot of people.

I think my criteria would be:

1) Dances with beginners.
    2) Dances the same style of dance as is being "taught" in class.
    3) Isn't scary.

I was going to add "(4) Looks hot", but on reflection I think it's better if you have the hot dancers be non-taxis so that beginners have lots of motivation to get better.

Hmmm, well I'm sure I fail on No. 3 there. And I think I'm on shaky ground on No. 2 as well, because I don't use the semi-circle and I utterly refuse to bounce my hand up and down...

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I was going to add "(4) Looks hot", but on reflection I think it's better if you have the hot dancers be non-taxis so that beginners have lots of motivation to get better.
    Rubbish. Drivel. I completely disagree and so does Franck. You'd never make it as a taxi-selecting-type-person in Scotland.

Thread Information