Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why can't I dance to fast tracks ?

Re: Why can't I dance to fast tracks ?

Quote Originally Posted by horsey_dude View Post
    ...I like faster dancing because it covers up many, many dancing faults that are more obvious when dancing slowly ...
    I am best seen as a blur.

As folks know, I also dance JazzJive. It's a form of Modern Jive, with a few swing-ish variations. The interesting thing is that it's typically danced to faster music than Ceroc - more like rock and roll tempos. Indeed, the crowd there view slow music as Lindy music, while fast music is JazzJive music. That goes to show how much the "ideal tempo" for a dance is determined by what a dancer is used to, rather than what the dance itself can accomodate. Y'all would be happilly dancing Ceroc at 200bpm if you were used to it.

So how did this crowd of people, with possibly a slightly older average age than a Ceroc venue, manage to dance happilly to "fast" music, without even thinking it fast? I could write my own description, but Chef nailed it earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    Change the rockstep so that your shoulders do not move backwards when you do a rockstep and your rear foot heel never actually touches the ground - instead the ball of your foot touches down first and your foot compresses down like a spring until the heel NEARLY touches the ground and then release that compression to bring the weigh you have moved backwards forward again. At the point that the compression in your rear foot is being released your leader ADDS tension to lead you forwards.
    There was other stuff too, but visually, that was 90% of it. I sometimes wish that rock steps would get taught like that in Ceroc classes, but instead we get this monologue about "transfer all of your weight onto your back foot". In terms of fast music, that's practically training people to have bad habits. Ick ick ick!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    ...I sometimes wish that rock steps would get taught like that in Ceroc classes, but instead we get this monologue about "transfer all of your weight onto your back foot". In terms of fast music, that's practically training people to have bad habits. Ick ick ick!
    Michaela has been known to tell us "Dance on yer balls".

Thread Information