Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me im in pain :-(

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Help me im in pain :-(

I was out riding my horse this morning when she all of a sudden spooked at something in the bushes, she swerved so badly that i managed to dislocate my right thumb. The pain at the time was so bad a felt sick, i just remember it bending the wrong way and snapping out of joint i managed to get it back in place but the pain and swelling is awful i have a bag of peas on it as i write and have taken pain killers. Please if there is anything else i can do i would love to hear as i can't stand the pain and am supposed to be taxiing tonight which i may have to miss

Re: Help me im in pain :-(

Quote Originally Posted by dee
    I was out riding my horse this morning when she all of a sudden spooked at something in the bushes, she swerved so badly that i managed to dislocate my right thumb. The pain at the time was so bad a felt sick, i just remember it bending the wrong way and snapping out of joint i managed to get it back in place but the pain and swelling is awful i have a bag of peas on it as i write and have taken pain killers. Please if there is anything else i can do i would love to hear as i can't stand the pain and am supposed to be taxiing tonight which i may have to miss
    Please go straight to A and E!!! It sounds broken to me.. had lots of experience with broken bones... (not my own, luckily, yet..) so dont take any chances..

Good luck.
    Jan
    xxxxx

I'm a First Aider at my work I would say go to A&E. It might not be broken it could be a nasty sprain, or a torn ligament or anything. You should get it checked out by a qualified doctor.

The fact that it dislocated means that you'll have damaged the ligaments and/or tendons so dancing with it tonight is probably not a good idea anyway.

Since I'm in Aberdeen all I can do is blow you a kiss and hope that helps

Not A&E the thought of a 4 hour wait is more pain than im feeling

Drive over here I will give you some proper painkillers

If it's broken and you don't get it treated properly, you could have a problem with it for life. You need it x-rayed to confirm if it's broken or not, so no good going to the GP. You might find that it's not too bad in A&E, after all it's a wet (where I am) Monday afternoon. Ice is good to take the swelling down in the meantime.

Hope it gets better soon.

Use RICE for sprains..

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

But seriously.. Get it checked out the sooner rather than later.

When I was 16 I had a 15HH cob. One day whilst grooming him he trod on my foot. I only had a pair of very thin cotton sandles on and it was extremley painfull. I started shouting at him to get off my foot whilst trying to push him away and instead of lifting his foot off of mine to walk away he turned 90 degrees with his foot still firmly on top of mine!! It was the most painfull experience Ive ever had and my foot was black and blue for a over week, although nothing was broken.

I never went to hospital with mine and luckily enough (for all you lovely ladies ) no permanent damage was done to stop me dancing!!

Defo go to A&E Dee
    Hope its ok soon you poor thing

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird
    Drive over here I will give you some proper painkillers
    You gave me pains in my stomach with laughing so much from this post

Commercial Operator

Sorry chaps, I am gonna go against the advice so far, Why, as a keen extreme sports enthusiast (if you have ever wondered why I walk funny) I like to jump/throw myself off/out of things so Ive have had ample oppurtunity test this theory.

Dee, chances are that if you managed to reposition your thumb means its highly unlikely youve broken it. A dislocation will basically cause tendon/ligament damage with the associated swelling and pain. So what to do, Basically R.I.C.E is the best way.

Once the swelling starts to ease some of the pain will too but it will take awhile before you can grip between thumb and forfinger, It took me three
    weeks before I could pick up an empty cup that way.

Dancing will not be too much of a problem if you strap your thumb properly plus it take your mind off the throbbing pain. Plus the Ceroc mantra "No Thumbs"

Hope you are out of pain soon

M.xx

Three weeks hope mine don't take that long. Thanks for the advice everyone i may just have to take a trip to London to see the Witty one paracetamol is not working and could do with something a little stronger. It's amazing how much i have missed my thumb since i did it this morning, silly things like starting the car and going to the loo take forever to do.

Well, could be the advantage of A&E - they could give you something much stronger

Three weeks hope mine don't take that long. Thanks for the advice everyone i may just have to take a trip to London to see the Witty one paracetamol is not working and could do with something a little stronger. It's amazing how much i have missed my thumb since i did it this morning, silly things like starting the car and going to the loo take forever to do.
    Just where do you put your thumb when going to the loo?!!....

Sorry, that doesn't help you I know If it's any consolation, I know how you're feeling right now

Tonight, I'm going to attempt dancing at Woking, for the first time in 2 months since I broke my big toe and the one next to it (think it's the one that got no roast beef )

It took me a few weeks for the main physical pain to die down, but it's taken much longer for the pain of not being able to dance to go away!

I wish you a speedy recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive
    Just where do you put your thumb when going to the loo?!!....
    It's not where i put my thumb, but how i hold the loo paper when wiping, that i have the prob with lol far too much information

have you been to the docs yet?

if it's still the same then I suggest quit posting and get someone to check you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970

if it's still the same then I suggest quit posting and get someone to check you out.
    She's been trying to get someone to check her out for the last 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive

Tonight, I'm going to attempt dancing at Woking, for the first time in 2 months since I broke my big toe and the one next to it (think it's the one that got no roast beef )
    It was the one who stayed at home. .. the next one had rost beef!!

The Perfect Woman!

Best time to go to A&E is 8.30-9am. Shifts are just swapping, so overnighters are all dealt with, and not many emergencies are yet in....

Strong painkillers overnight - straight to A&E in the morning...

it's your thumb isn't it? Normally I would suggest binding the sprained staved finger to the one(s) next to it to give it a little support.

Can you get it flush to the side of the hand without too much pain? or is it (I'm sorry excuse this bad choice of words) Sticking out like a sore thumb? (sorry )

is it the ball of the thumb thats sore? I am Reading my 1st aid manual but it lumps dislocations in with breaks and fractures. I would make a roll of soft material like cotton wool and hold it like you would hold a tennis racket. then Wrap the entire hand firmly (BUT NOT TIGHT) in a bandage to support it over night .. however I wouldn't wait until morning myself. How long have you been in pain now? you could have been waiting in casualty and have been seen by now?

But I'm just a first Aider.. you need a proper medical assessment

Thread Information