• I only dance to the music I like

15 14.29%
  • I have fun every night I can dance

35 33.33%
  • I have the occasional night that isn’t fun

51 48.57%
  • I have the occasional night that is fun

1 0.95%
  • I don’t like dancing and don’t know why I go anyway.

1 0.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dances per night

Question Dances per night

Something that Wendy said prompted me to wonder, does the quantity of dances and who you dance with relate to the amount of fun you have in an evening? (Tic all that apply, assuming that you don’t feel obligated to dance)

Blog Entries
    It is also possible to have a lot of fun and enjoy the night dancing relatively little but deliberately watching and absorbing music, moves, styles, smiles, outfits, quirks, body language etc etc..

Or does everybody start getting a buzz from the "periferals" and find that it passes??

more, please

I was asked recently by an "experienced" Edinburgh dancer whether there were any "good men" to dance with that night.....knowing this person to be quite selective about her choice of partner/dancer I replied, "That's a stupid question to ask me, isn't it? I dance with everyone and enjoy every dance", to which she wrinkled her nose and walked off.

Obviously there are some dances you enjoy more or less than others for various reasons but, on the whole, I prefer to be dancing than to be watching/waiting for a "good" partner......

Wendy - I'd be upset if someone called me an "exclusive" dancer too. Doesn't make sense when we choose to be taxi dancers, does it?
    Last edited by Aleks; 15th-May-2003 at 11:40 AM.

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

Re: Dances per night

Originally posted by Gadget
    , does the quantity of dances and who you dance with relate to the amount of fun you have in an evening?
    I don't think there is a huge amount of correlation between the number of dances and the amount of fun you have, I think the the real link is who you dance with. I'd probably rather have just a few really nice dances with a partner who is interacting with me and having as much fun as I'm having, rather than a full night of dancing with dancers whom you don't connect with.

maybe it is just me, but my favourite dances are when the follower says "it's my first night".

There is something about having someone follow you with no preconceptions about what they are supposed to do.

This is where you really get to lead.

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Dances per night

Originally posted by Dave Hancock
    . I'd probably rather have just a few really nice dances with a partner who is interacting with me and having as much fun as I'm having, rather than a full night of dancing with dancers whom you don't connect with.

But how often can you know if they will before you do?

And what would be the ideal way (IYO) to spend the time inbetween?

Originally posted by PeterL
    maybe it is just me, but my favourite dances are when the follower says "it's my first night".

There is something about having someone follow you with no preconceptions about what they are supposed to do.

This is where you really get to lead.
    Totally disagree with you that you really get to lead beginners, in my experience the vast majority of beginners are extremely nervous and generally dance their 4 moves from memory and thus you are not leading at all, but merely performing 4 moves in a set pattern.

I think following while a seemingly natural thing to do is one of the hardest things for a lady to do and requires a great deal of practice.

Totally disagree with you that you really get to lead beginners, in my experience the vast majority of beginners are extremely nervous and generally dance their 4 moves from memory and thus you are not leading at all, but merely performing 4 moves in a set pattern.

I think following while a seemingly natural thing to do is one of the hardest things for a lady to do and requires a great deal of practice.

That is the challenge, and believe me when it goes right which is more often than you would think, it is the most fun you can have.

And yes following is a difficult thing to do, so when dancing with someone who doesn't know how to, as I said , is where you really learn to lead.

it is the most fun you can have.

...does Julie read the forum

...does Julie read the forum
    yes

I'm with Dave on this one. Most beginners can't follow, and it's a tricky balance between letting them feel comfortable by using moves they recognise and deliberately leading moves they don't know so they can't just do it themselves. Don't get me wrong - I have lots of fun dancing with beginners, and it's really good at developing your leading, but it's precisely the fact that they can't follow that highlights where you're being imprecise and allows you to correct/develop.

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Originally posted by Aleks
    Wendy - I'd be upset if someone called me an "exclusive" dancer too. Doesn't make sense when we choose to be taxi dancers, does it?
    When I saw your name I was kinda hoping you'd join in on this...

Wxxx

The Forum Legend
    That is the challenge, and believe me when it goes right which is more often than you would think, it is the most fun you can have.

And yes following is a difficult thing to do, so when dancing with someone who doesn't know how to, as I said , is where you really learn to lead.
    Sorry. Can't possibly agree with your first statement. Don't quite see how you can make it.

Okie, so, I do enjoy dancing with beginners. And the challenge of leading them, when they are nervous, and don't really know what's happening. And yes, when it goes reasonably well, and the smile you get at the end of (and maybe even during if they're brave enough) the dance, is very rewarding. But to say that's the 'most fun you can have' just can't be right.

That's like saying that you'd prefer to go play a football match with your pub team, than go play with (insert your choice of top football side here). Or that you'd prefer fish and chips, to dinner at a top restaurant.

While, as I said, dancing with beginners does have it's own reward, and I do enjoy doing it, dancing with someone who you really connect with, with who it becomes more like dancing, rather than just connecting up a few moves in a row, with who you can give the barest of leads, knowing that they will follow you, and with who you can really express yourself with is what everyone should be aiming for. Where you forget everyone else around you, and you're just there for your partner, and the dance.

It doesn't happen very often. But to get as close as possible, as often as possible......

I do agree with your second statement though...

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Sorry. Can't possibly agree with your first statement. Don't quite see how you can make it.

I stand by this statement and people who have danced with me on there first or second night will know what I mean.
    When you can lead someone all the way through a dance who hasn't got a clue what you are doing, then that is fun.

whereas I have had some dances with experienced dancers that I just haven't enjoyed because of there preconceptions of what should be done.

not sure if what I am trying to say is totally clear but a few people out there who know me will get what I mean.

Or maybe it is just that I am a begginer myself and prefer dancing with people of my own level

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    whereas I have had some dances with experienced dancers that I just haven't enjoyed because of there preconceptions of what should be done.
    So how was your dance with me last night ?????

Wxxx

I don't think anyone's saying that dancing with an experienced dancer is always better than dancing with a beginner. Just that it's possible to have way more fun with a dancer who you really connect with, who feels the music in the same way, who lets you do your thing and you almost instinctively know what each other are going to do. IMO, you just don't get beginners who fall into this category very often. Occasionally you do get one, and I agree that this can be really special, partly because it's so unexpected, but I think this has happened to me perhaps twice in the two years I've been dancing: one of these people has now been dancing for about 18 months and is still a joy to dance with - it's because she's such a great dancer that it was fun, not because she was a beginner.

Originally posted by Wendy

Wxxx
    It was great, I was a bit of form but I am just a begginer

Originally posted by Wendy
    Did she let you lead???

Originally posted by Chicklet
    ...Or does everybody start getting a buzz from the "periferals" and find that it passes??
    I would say it never passes, but if you have a choice - to be out there dancing, or standing, watching; which would you choose?

Originally posted by David Hancock
    I don't think there is a huge amount of correlation between the number of dances and the amount of fun you have, I think the the real link is who you dance with.
    But surley you raise the odds of having a 'good' dance (ie one you "link" with) or have more 'good' dances if you have more dances in general?

Origionally posted by Peter L
    Yup, with you 100%.

Origionally posted by David Hancock
    Yea, but aren't you a taxi dancer, and so are almost 'required' to dance the "four moves in a set pattern"?
    I try to lead beginners into the 4 moves, hardly ever in the taught order {lack of memory rather than by design}, and throw in a variation when I think that they are getting the hang of one move, then go back to the taught move again.
    In my experience, the vast majority of beginners get less nervous and follow better after the first few moves when they gain more confidence; by the end of the dance I would say that the beginners I dance with are definetly following.

Originally posted by Gadget

In my experience, the vast majority of beginners get less nervous and follow better after the first few moves when they gain more confidence; by the end of the dance I would say that the beginners I dance with are definetly following.
    Big generalisation about beginners getting less nervous after a few moves and in all my years of taxi'ing (3 or 4 now) I could probably count on one hand the amount of dancers who were definetly following at the end of the dance.

Thread Information