View Poll Results: Do you enjoy listening to Jazz?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I enjoy all different flavours of Jazz

5 23.81%
  • Yes, some styles of Jazz are enjoyable to listen to

9 42.86%
  • Take it or leave it really

1 4.76%
  • Only very few Jazz tracks appeal to me

2 9.52%
  • Not really, no

3 14.29%
  • Must Click!

1 4.76%

Thread: Opinions on Jazz

Opinions on Jazz

I was wondering what people though about Jazz as music genre.

Its a tricky question to ask as Jazz comes in many different flavours but as an example the following links go through to tracks that I enjoy.

Just paste into a browser and select the relevant track to listen to samples.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...lance&n=229816
    "Jeff Golub" - "Cold Duck Time"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174
    "Sonny Rollins" - "In a sentimental mood"

http://music.msn.com/album/?album=29452388#
    "Mindi Abair" - "Lucys"

Re: Opinions on Jazz

Can't listen to the samples while I'm at work – or at least, while there are other people in the room!

I quite like some Trad Jazz... The rest does absolutely nothing for me.

Perhaps it can be explained by the fact that I'm just not a big brass fan. The more trumpets, sax, etc., the less I'm likely to like a song. This is one of the reasons I don't like a lot of swing music too.

(I'm also reminded of what Jimmy Rabbitte said in The Commitments about jazz...)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quite like jazz.

got a fair "splodge" of jazz on my MP3 player by artists such as Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Charles Mingus and Charlie Parker.

"Hi and Welcome to Jazz Club... Nice"

Some of the styles of Jazz I find I really need to be in the right mood for but when I am.....brilliant

I went to a Jazz bar in Soho a few months back. It was a tiny tiny little place, only about 50 people capacity. It had 2 tables in the bar area and 4 in the restaurant. It also had the smallest stage area you have ever seen

Thing is, it was absolutely brilliant. A £10 cover for the band was levied but that was a good deal IMO. A great night. Lots of mixed Jazz.

I have liked all sorts of jazz since I used to work in a music shop and we got to experiment with all sorts of music. One of the regular customers was Courtney Pine
    Last edited by Dizzy; 23rd-June-2006 at 02:00 PM.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    I went to a Jazz bar in Soho a few months back. It was a tiny tiny little place, only about 50 people capacity. It had 2 tables in the bar area and 4 in the restaurant. It also had the smallest stage area you have ever seen

Thing is, it was absolutely brilliant. A £10 cover for the band was levied but that was a good deal IMO. A great night. Lots of mixed Jazz.
    I think jazz is really something you have to experience live, more so than most musical genres. There's a few bits of Coltrane, Davis and Monk on my iPod, but not much. I also have a soft spot for Herbie Hancock's early jazz-funk experiments, like Head Hunters and Sextant (the latter includes Herbie's 'legendary' jamming session with Eddie the Shipboard Computer btw ).

I'm not a huge fan of the very modern, astructural (and atonal most of the time) styles of jazz, because it clashes with everything my ears are trained to appreciate, but I like smooth mellow improvised jazz or the funky but structured stuff. I couldn't give you names, because I don't know enough about jazz to know who I like, except for a few bands or people I know personally that no-one else would have heard of.

Unfortunately, most of my jazz listening as a teenager was in the car on the way home from orchestra late at night eating chips in the back of a friend's car, so I can't hear cool jazz without getting a chip craving and getting an urge to drive on the M25.

An Eclectic Toaster

Forgot to add on a local note - this thread's very timeous, as the Glasgow Jazz Festival kicks off tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    I'm not a huge fan of the very modern, astructural (and atonal most of the time) styles of jazz, because it clashes with everything my ears are trained to appreciate, but I like smooth mellow improvised jazz or the funky but structured stuff. I couldn't give you names, because I don't know enough about jazz to know who I like, except for a few bands or people I know personally that no-one else would have heard of.
    Couldn't have put it better!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M
    this thread's very timeous!
    Great word

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Cool word

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    Great word
    Thank you. It is a real one, so I can't take credit for anything other than encouraging its use.

My next mission is to get mallemaroking into a casual conversation...
    go on, google it, you know you want to...

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)

Same as Aleks

I listen to this French radio station FIP which plays loads of different music. Bryan Ferry doing a Dylan cover, Nouvelle Vague, etc etc and then when they play too much jazz I just have to change the station. It can almost be like torture to my wee ears and if it's in the background I don't always notice right away and then all of a sudden I realise that it's driving me nuts

I expect like many things it is an acquired taste and you could get deeper and deeper into it. I'm just not prepared to make the effort when there is so much stuff out there to like without having to try.

Wx

I'm not a huge fan of the very modern, astructural (and atonal most of the time) styles of jazz, because it clashes with everything my ears are trained to appreciate, but I like smooth mellow improvised jazz or the funky but structured stuff.
    Totally agree with Tessalicious on this one... but I also like swing too.

Commercial Operator

The problem with jazz is that it is a big umbrella. lots of different styles of music are classed as Jazz, ranging from Dixieland & Trad Jazz, to George Benson style smooth jazz. I like lots of different types of jazz, but I also dislike lots of different types of jazz. I am at the moment listening to quite a lot of Jazz-Funk, digging out my old Average White Band, and Candy Dulfer stuff. I also like a lot of the smooth jazz, and soulful, almost bordering on RnB type of stuff. I still find a lot of the Be-Bop stuff, e.g Charlie Parker and Miles Davis, a bit hard going, but again some of it is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    The problem with jazz is that it is a big umbrella. lots of different styles of music are classed as Jazz,

The various compilations out there that have the word 'Jazz' in the title are staggering. Listening to a lot of the tracks makes me wonder what common element makes it Jazz. Surely there has to be a common element across music of a genre doesn't there?

Jazz is when the musicians have forgotten the tune and have to make it up?

Daisy

(A Philistine of a Little Flower)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain
    Jazz is when the musicians have forgotten the tune and have to make it up?
    No...that's the Eurovision Song Contest...

Thread Information