Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help needed Scottish Charity Competition 9th Sept 2006

Help needed Scottish Charity Competition 9th Sept 2006

Dear All

I am about produce the application forms for the Scottish Competition you will be able to apply online as well. However since this is a Charity competition I thought I would give you an opportunity to have some say in the shape of it.

Planned just now is

Lucky Dip
    Intermediate
    Advanced
    Showcase

Traditionally I would have included Team and Double Trouble but perhaps it is time for change. What I am looking for is three other Categories and I am open to any suggestions as long as they are clean.

Further traditionally we use Ceroc Teachers as judges since this is a Charity competition I happy to consider non-ceroc Judges. If anybody is interested in Judging “for free” contact me. Remember that you in turn will be judged probably by this forum…….

Lastly since this is a Charity event I have limited advertising resources i.e none I would therefore be very grateful to the forum members if you could promote it anyway you can. Every person we get is more money to the charity which is DEBRA this year

PS the DJ’s this year will be DD and Tiggerbabe. Should I do a blues room let me know what you think….?

Cheers

Scot

Re: Help needed Scottish Charity Competition 9th Sept 2006

Yes please to the Blues Room

I liked the surprise competitions you had last year where the dancers who volunteered didn't know what they were volunteering for... could be fun if you can think of another way to do it... or even if you did the same as last year.

What about an Old Gits round like they do down south - or single sex partnerships? I'm sure some of the Australian forumites can give you other categories that they've done in the past.

Good luck with it Scot, I'm looking forward to being there again

Competition ideas:
    • Single sex/reverse roles (doh)
    • Blindfold (Both partners blindfolded)
    • Partner swap (PM if interested)
    • Prop dacing (dance with a prop - judged on how well danced with your partner while handicapped by it, and/or included the prop in the dance.)
    • Basic moves & variations (no dips, drops or air steps, no 'classic' moves)
    • Best lead/best follower (single judge for each, dances with all competitors for a move or two each round eliminates half, next round dances more.)
    • Mimicry (different music played and people have to dance like X)
    • Musical statues (random stops of the music, couples maintained at later stages by how good their 'posing' is)
    • Musical interpritation (some really weird music, who dances better to it)
    • Boxing Glove Dancing (both partners wear boxing gloves to lead/follow in)
    • Baloon dancing (in a similar vein, perhaps keeping a baloon between partners torsos)

personally I don't really like the "old gits" cattegory: so many people fall into that group who are just too damn good!

Commercial Operator

Yes please for the blues room!

There seems to be plenty of interest in WCS in Scotland, is there enough interest for a WCS category in a Ceroc comp?

No Open category this year? Does this mean that the Advanced is effectively the Open?

Greg

i would like to add this year when you are announcing the winner if you could announce 2nd and 3rd i know they dont get prizes its just because you would like to see who came placed aswell

because not every one knows everyones name when you post the ruesults we mainly know faces

thankz jammy xxx

Quote Originally Posted by jammy
    i would like to add this year when you are announcing the winner if you could announce 2nd and 3rd i know they dont get prizes its just because you would like to see who came placed aswell

because not every one knows everyones name when you post the ruesults we mainly know faces

thankz jammy xxx
    this sounds like a very good idea to me

as to additional category's

what about a beginners level?

battle of the sex's - same sex couples

dancing blind - the follow is blind folded

reverse - this has been done as a surprize event in Aus - couples entered not knowing - what it was and it was reversed roles - follow leads & lead follows

and I liked Gadgets Statues idea as well

Agree with this idea - very nice

Can we not make Gadget be one of the judges - then he'd have to come along

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)

thankz jammy xxx
    Great idea !!

It might be OTT to have all the finalists standing as you call out the winners but it is a heck of an achievement to get to the final. Maybe a wee certificate (zero cost) for those in second/third place too. Maybe even a free CEROC party voucher ?

It's really good of you to ask for input. And we know you can't please everybody.

We were planning to go but have to be back in France that weekend

Have a great event - it has always been fab in the past.

Wx

Competition ideas:
    1. No turns (returns) or spins (for the follower) -- deduct a point for each inadvertant one.
    2. Leading with one arm (only the right arm) -- make the leaders / followers put the other arm in a sling?
    3. Best costume
    4. Most ludicrous costume in terms of having to dance in it (flippers, chicken suit, etc.)

Not so much a competition idea -- but a "social competition" idea -- have one (or more) secret dancer(s). The winner is then say the 20th person *to ask them* to dance freestyle.

SpinDr

Commercial Operator

What about a Team dance off like in the smaller ballroom events... A team consists of say three couples, the comp is over three tracks, couples are given a number, the numbers are picked at random for each team (couple 1 from Team A Vs couple 3 from Team B Vs Couple 2 from Team C). They dance off against members of the other teams for points, top team total for the three tracks wins.... It would be good to see a WCS Category too.

Glitter Queen

I think it would be nice to have a 'beginners' category for anyone who has been dancing less that 12 months. This kind of competition is just the sort of atmosphere to encourage fresh talent .

Definitely 'yes' to the blues room - with those two DJs you can't go wrong.

I also agree with jammy that it would be nice to have the top three placings announced.

As for judges, when you say 'non-ceroc judges' can you be more specific? Are you talking about having teachers of different types of dancing, or ceroc-affiliated teachers, or do you mean members of the dancing community who are not teachers? It may be tricky if the judges have no formal dancing qualifications - kinda defeats the object of being judged if the person judging you doesn't really know what they're looking for and has never judged a competition before. I'd be inclined to stick to ceroc teachers if I were you, but that's just my opinion .

Good luck with it!
    S. xx

Got to run to a meeting but a couple of quick questions

Should I seperate Teachers and Non Teachers with the Open and Advanced or should it all just be one.

Some competitions have a section where you are just allowed to do beginners moves but you can be at any dance level.

Should a Beginners only restrict people to beginners moves.

Lastly some of the suggestions above probably lend themselves to on the day surprise categories rather than main stream ones but I like the ideas some of them will definetly appear. If i say which ones it would not be a surprise ??

Thanks this is appreciated I do want the day to be as successful as possible for the Charity. Cheers

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Scot
    Dear All

I am about produce the application forms for the Scottish Competition you will be able to apply online as well. However since this is a Charity competition I thought I would give you an opportunity to have some say in the shape of it.

Planned just now is

Lucky Dip
    Intermediate
    Advanced
    Showcase

Traditionally I would have included Team and Double Trouble but perhaps it is time for change.
    Cheers

Scot
    It's a little late in the day to now be suggesting it's time for a change and not include a Team.

Our Team have already booked and paid deposits for accommodation with a view to participating in the Champs. That's a group of around 25 dancers but, what do we do now?

Quote Originally Posted by spindr

4. Most ludicrous costume in terms of having to dance in it (flippers, chicken suit, etc.)

SpinDr
    Mrs Par get the sewing machine out

Should I seperate Teachers and Non Teachers with the Open and Advanced or should it all just be one.
    no – if there is an open level it should be to split those that have won Advanced from those that haven’t. Teachers should have to compete in Advanced at their lowest level. With Open being for those that have won Advanced at least once – maybe twice before. Open in my mind should be a step above Advanced and while a teacher may be very good – they are not automatically a step above – in fact there are people that would argue that teachers shouldn’t have to compete at Advanced – go figure

Some competitions have a section where you are just allowed to do beginners moves but you can be at any dance level.
    I like the idea of this category really puts the focus on the dance

Should a Beginners only restrict people to beginners moves.
    No – way to hard for people to know what is/isn’t allowable.

In Aus Beginners is usually defined as being under 12 months of Ceroc and not having won a beginners competition in the last 12 months there is a move restriction of no aerials – but dips and drops are allowed and two small named lifts. Given the differences in what is taught between Aus & UK I suspect that in a beginners comp here a no dips & drops rule would be valid. There is also the unique Aus criteria of not holding a blue or gold card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnah
    what do we do now?
    maybe you could be included as a big Showcase?

...Blues room would be FAB!
    I would also really miss Team Cabaret performances - always fantastic to watch

Good luck with the preparations

Mon x

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet
    maybe you could be included as a big Showcase?
    Thats a good idea. Most of the other suggestions were rubbish I did like the musical status one, imagine the hilarity as people go for the most outrageous poses - I also liked the musicality suggestion i.e play the most bizarre tracks and see who can manage to dance to it - but of course how could you tell the difference between that and the normal heats....

..only joking Scot

most ludicrous costume is a good idea, that would also be very funny.

The beginners idea is too difficult to judge i would think and ultimately not very audience friendly. I doubt you'd get many entering, I could be wrong of course.

The difficulty in all of these ideas though is getting people interested. Scot is going to have to pick the ones that will work well by not being too difficult or too embarassing so that he actually gets people on the floor on the day. Of course it being a charity event he can 'demand' certain people get on the floor for the fun stuff

Last edited by melb; 22nd-June-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melb
    As for judges, when you say 'non-ceroc judges' can you be more specific? Are you talking about having teachers of different types of dancing, or ceroc-affiliated teachers, or do you mean members of the dancing community who are not teachers? It may be tricky if the judges have no formal dancing qualifications - kinda defeats the object of being judged if the person judging you doesn't really know what they're looking for and has never judged a competition before. I'd be inclined to stick to ceroc teachers if I were you, but that's just my opinion .
    In my opinion should stick to ceroc teachers to do the judging

Thread Information