Thread: The End of Top of the Pops

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)

The End of Top of the Pops

Noooooo.......noooooo......

It can't be true.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21062006/34...-set-axed.html

Probably my first dance was in front of the tv dancing to Top of the Pops

Wx

PS Could someone please tape it for me ?

Re: The End of Top of the Pops

I Have to admit I stopped watching it when Pans People left

The Perfect Woman!

I copied every one of pans people's routines and reproduced them at the local disco, then went on to do the same with Hot Gossips (that probably explains a lot !)....

Foxy

Yep - I heard that too!

They should never have moved it from its famous Thursday night slot.

I heard Radio 2 today blaming the spin off "TOTP2" for making it less hip - surely not!

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady
    I copied every one of pans people's routines and reproduced them at the local disco, then went on to do the same with Hot Gossips (that probably explains a lot !)....

Foxy
    Sheer magic - my heros !!!

Wx

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

TOTP has simply had its day. It was popular when there was no music television channels, no internet, no listening posts in high street shops, no digital radio stations. If you get upset about TOTP finishing you may as well get upset about the demise of the horse and cart and the uptake of the car.

In fact thats not a bad idea - we could be like the "Music Amish" and only play vinyl LPs and choose to switch off our TVs at midnight after playing "God Save the Queen" Aah the memories. You youngsters have never experienced waiting for the programs to start on your 3 channel TV set on a Sunday morning

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    TOTP has simply had its day. It was popular when there was no music television channels, no internet, no listening posts in high street shops, no digital radio stations
    You could make exactly the same argument for stopping the 6-o'clock news (popular when there was no CNN, no News24, no internet, no news alerts to mobile phones, no digital radio). I suspect it is less to do with a medium having had its day, then it is about the continual quest for novelty in the BBC; a quest that every so often is hi-jacked by nostalgia (cf the return of Dr Who)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M
    You could make exactly the same argument for stopping the 6-o'clock news (popular when there was no CNN, no News24, no internet, no news alerts to mobile phones, no digital radio).
    Indeed, and it will come to pass the same way - probably within a couple of years.

Of course Im not arguing that anything should be stopped, the point of the BBC, which we pay money for, is surely to give us everything we need - they shouldnt be basing their content purely on viewer figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M
    You could make exactly the same argument for stopping the 6-o'clock news (popular when there was no CNN, no News24, no internet, no news alerts to mobile phones, no digital radio). I suspect it is less to do with a medium having had its day, then it is about the continual quest for novelty in the BBC; a quest that every so often is hi-jacked by nostalgia (cf the return of Dr Who)

I don't think we have to be Amish to want some things to stay constant in our lives. The charts will always be there I expect so why not a decent chart show ?

What they should have done is have our cabaret on one week. The figures would have gone through the roof or through the floor maybe

Seriously they could have mixed in the TOTP2 or something. Look at Steve Wright in the Afternoon. (yeah you can't see him - I know CJ/DS and chums he's on the radio ) That program does ok doesn't it ? And Radio 2 is the most listened to radio station in the uk. And then there's The Archers... Or Coronation Street... or Bruc Forsythe .. or that drawer in the side of your kitchen table that is full of cold porridge ready to be sliced every morning for your breakfast before you go out into the fields with your Jethro Tull horse-drawn hoe to clear away the weeds and a copy of 'An Essay on Horse-Hoeing Husbandry' tucked under your arm to read at lunch time.

Wx

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove

Just had a rep from a little bird who tells me some Forumites won't even know who they are!

A reminder
    Last edited by philsmove; 27th-July-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Just had a rep from a little bird who tells me some Forumites won't even know who they are!

A reminder
    I think I used to be able to name them all ! Every boy/man wanted to "have" one and every woman wanted to BE one.

Wx

Anyone else watch the last one then?
    Did it nearly bring a tear to your eye then?

Was glad Bowie was on it and Robbie.
    That's the first time I've ever seen Gnarls Berkley - that was a bit of a shock and they'd slowed the tempo of that song down so much, not sure I liked it that slow.

Was a bit naffed off Depeche Mode didn't get a mention - and was almost overjoyed when I saw the words "Personal Jesus" and then realised it was the Marilyn Manson version - which my son prefers...

Anyone got any info on what the heck was in George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's trousers! I've never noticed that before, but so glad I've got it recorded for another giggle. I always remember something being said about socks being down there - but that was never a sock shape!

It was nice seeing some of the old presenters - especially DLT (whom I've admitted to kissing before.... ) Just a shame the jokes were so-o-o bad!

I think they should have played a proper Pans People track so we could have seen them dance from beginning to end, but hey ho!

By the way, I thought Jimmy Saville was brilliant!

Donna

Damn! Missed it!! But all I can say to Top Of The Pops coming to an end is..... I watched it a lot since I was a tot, singing along and dancing around the living room, until I was in my late teens. (well not bopping around the living room then of course....hmmm would be rather strange.) Very sad.

Sad to see it go, but glad to have caught the last one. I agree it was nice to see some of the older presenters, and my step-sis too! (Sarah) Glad she got to be on the last one

Surely they could have picked a better Madonna performance though

Can't say i ever really watched it.. Was never into music as a kid, and as I got older the music appealed to me even less by which time I was into prog rock and watching reruns of the old gray whistle test.

I understand it's importance as a great British institution but it was never a great appeal to me.

Didnt think the last one was that well done ??

It will be back in 1/2 yrs different format

I also hear they will still do christmas top of the pops so at least i can record that as i always do

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    I think they should have played a proper Pans People track so we could have seen them dance from beginning to end, but hey ho!

!
    Later in the evening they had a whole program on them

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Probably the most prominent memory of TOTP for me was sitting with an old friend watching 'It's like that' by Run Dmc. Ah' the good old days ... Some would say that's not really something to be proud about. hahahaaaaaaaa well I don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Probably the most prominent memory of TOTP for me was sitting with an old friend watching 'It's like that' by Run Dmc. Ah' the good old days ...

I was actually in the audience of TOTP the week that song became number one . The only time I have ever been to the show even though I only live up the road!!

Pan's People left TOTP??????

Thread Information