Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improvers' Class

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Improvers' Class

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Only in the venues that have facilities (room) to allow this of course. Which are the minority from what I've seen.
    { snip lots of good points }
    So how does it work in Australia then? More rooms? What's the standard format?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    I'm also not sure about the charging per class option. It's very hard to 'police' - what about the people that turn up and pay for the beginner class, then decide that they want to do the intermediate class. I think that a flat rate for the night works better.
    Probably, it was just a wild idea to make it more "business-y" or something.

It may be that the "large-class" format of MJ makes 3 classes inherently difficult, as you can only have 1 class per room at the moment.

(I shall resist getting into the "movers / dancers" debate, coz I'm smug and superior. )

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Standard Ceroc classes don't really teach you how to dance. They teach you to perform moves. *snip*
    attend 12 or more week-night classes and get a free Improvers workshop *snip*
    Absolutely actually to whole post but didn't want to repeat it all again.

I "dance" with quite a few guys who basically just stand on the spot and twirl me around. Tall guys do this the most as they can reach with their arms without having to move their feet much. They have a wide repertoire of "moves" but...

Why not just scrap the intermediate class, and replace it with teaching how to dance? The beginners class still provides the quick-start 'you can dance after one night' thing - is there any need for the other class to follow the same format?

Obviously, some people don't go to Ceroc to learn to dance, but they still take part in the intermediate class. Can the intermediate class change without affecting their participation in this class? i.e. they don't want to learn, but do they want to not learn?

Sean

Fantastic idea. If only people could be convinced that more moves do not necessarily a better dancer make...

One of my depressing moments at SP was when someone asked me if I could remember the routine from one of Franck's classes. I did tell her that the moves were not the point (but nicely, honest).

Perhaps only teach two moves in the intermediate class - people hardly ever remember 3 or 4 anyway - and have 15 minutes 'technique' stuff first?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    One of the things about the Ceroc model is that there is minimal segregation. We get championship level dancers in the beginners class, and after that we are all lumped together in intermediate. It probably is not the best way to learn, but it does ensure that everbody dances together, and are continually made aware of the problems that others are having. I still believe that it is more important that we all enjoy ourselves together rather than advancing as fast as we possibly can. Once again I state that the forum view is probably not representative, and the majority view is not necessarily right. I have seen the three tier model in operation, and have not been convinced.

It does amaze me after about 6 weeks you can jump into a intermediate class and that’s it

However based on the odd Salsa class when you can have 4 or 5 different groups with each shouting over the other im not sure ceroc is the worse ‘model’

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Fantastic idea. If only people could be convinced that more moves do not necessarily a better dancer make...
    Well despite people telling me that when I started it's only really been recently that I've really believed that. I still like learning new moves but I no longer obsessively keep track of all them. Often I'll still make notes of the moves we've done and I'll try and fit in the moves I like until they've joined my collection of "regular" moves.

Ceroc's teaching is very moves focused. It makes it easier to pick up. It's only later on in Modern Jive where you really start learning about frame and other concepts. From other dances I've done Salsa and WCS tend to teach you a bit of both moves and technique. Tango teaches you technique and one day I might get to moves. It makes sense though. These concepts aren't required to dance MJ (though if you want to get to a certain level you have to know them). WCS and Salsa both require some level of knowledge from both lead and follow (such as the slot or the timing). Tango requires a very good understanding of the frame before you can get anywhere (well without kicking each other at least). I'm pretty sure sticking in a bit of technique at intermediate level would be really good. Maybe just focusing on one aspect per week. It wouldn't take more than 5 minutes out of the Intermediate class and could do a world of good.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime
    'm pretty sure sticking in a bit of technique at intermediate level would be really good. Maybe just focusing on one aspect per week.
    Come to JJ's sometime and you'll see Franck do just that.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Come to JJ's sometime and you'll see Franck do just that.
    Then should it be a standard thing that the teachers do. If we stuck in a "classic" intermediate move then that would probably create enough time at the Edinburgh classes.

Thread Information