Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On your bike!

Re: On your bike!

Warrington's given the best belly ache for months.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Forgot to mention - so is November 2004 (scroll down, use the calendar - can't provide a direct URL), which has also featured on the BBC website at one point.

Pete Owens should be nominated for a medal.

I've reached back to May 2005, but it's too full of hoots to single out just a few.

I'm just about to join the legions of cyclists. I've got new job and it's 7mi from the nearest public transport route Being a non-driver, I'm going to have to get fit, or pay my entire wages over to taxis firms

Going from 0mi/year to 70mi/week is going to be quite a shock to the system. I hope they have showers - drinking a cup of tea makes me sweat

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    I'm just about to join the legions of cyclists. I've got new job and it's 7mi from the nearest public transport route Being a non-driver, I'm going to have to get fit, or pay my entire wages over to taxis firms

Going from 0mi/year to 70mi/week is going to be quite a shock to the system. I hope they have showers - drinking a cup of tea makes me sweat
    Don't worry about it too much. The legs and lungs adapt pretty quickly (within about 3 weeks) the worst part I found was that if you are not used to being on a bike saddle then the first few weeks are most uncomfortable. Padded cycle shorts will help.

Try to grab a Ordance survey map and have a look at the most direct route between work and home. Since you are on a bike rather than public transport, then very small lanes and public bridleways are available to you. They are often more pleasant than the busy main road routes. If you have time before you start your new job you can use a bit of the early evening to research your route. It will also help your body to get used to cyclling rather than jumping straight into 70 miles per week.

It is good that you are starting your cycling at the beginning of summer. Have fun.

Great Advice.

I would also reinforce the bit about "Saddle Sore". It WILL take a few weeks before *ahem* your bum gets used to being on a saddle. Especially if yuo are going from nothing to a 14 mile round trip. You will feel it.

Do not fear though. This is only temporary. After all, you will be using muscles that may not have been used that much before. Dont let it convince you to give up.

This morning I really enjoyed my ride to work. I was cycling up Brighton Road, in a nice wide cycle lane, into Croydon past a long, long line of people sat in there cars thinking "Poor things"

As Chef says, if you can spend a little bit of time planning a route out that uses as much off-road riding as possible you will find it is so enjoyable. You actually get to work feeling energised! (after the first 3 weeks of pain of course )

And just think about the fact that you are not spending 20p a mile driving. Wear and tear not withstanding!

Thread Information