Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On your bike!

On your bike!

I know, what an original title.

Thought I'd flag this up for anyone interested...

I would cycle to work (its only 5 miles) this week but my bike is in someone else's garage at the moment... for the winter... I know, hopeless excuse!

It's the annual celebration of Bike Week, so make that little bit of extra effort, dust off the old bike and ride it to work. You will be amazed at the benefits.It's the annual celebration of Bike Week, so make that little bit of extra effort, dust off the old bike and ride it to work. You will be amazed at the benefits.

Bike Week is the UK's annual celebration of cycling, with the aim of getting more people cycling more often.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/ /><o:p></o:p><font face=" /><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT face=Verdana><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

Bike Week is the UK's annual celebration of cycling, with the aim of getting more people cycling more often</SPAN>

Need convincing?<o:p></o:p>

There are countless good reasons to cycle to work, but as you've probably heard them all before, here's an alternative list courtesy of Bike2Work:<o:p></o:p>
    • Cycling is great for your love life: Not only will your body be honed, but your strength, stamina and aerobic fitness will all be improved <o:p></o:p>
    • Cycling doesn't only tone your legs - it's great for your bum, too <o:p></o:p>
    • Turn back the clock without resorting to surgery - cycling gives a level of fitness equivalent to being 10 years younger <o:p></o:p>
    • Why diet during the barbecue season? Riding a bike burns about 300 calories per hour <o:p></o:p>
    • Cycling will make you rich! Okay not rich, but bicycles don't need road tax, MOT, insurance, fuel or to pay for parking <o:p></o:p>
    • Feel a glow of self satisfaction as you tell your friends that your cycling is helping to reduce noise and air pollution as well as traffic congestion <o:p></o:p>
    • Cycling can even help you stop smoking. It's true; regular physical activity encourages other healthy behaviour <o:p></o:p>
    • Never again wipe down a piece of sweaty gym equipment - cycling is exercise in the fresh air <o:p></o:p>
    • You'll have something in common with Madonna - she is one of a growing band of celebrity cyclists.
    </SPAN></SPAN>

Re: On your bike!

I can honestly say I really miss my bike rides to and from work. People called me mad as, when I worked in leeds, I purposely moved out to Bradford because it meant I had a longer ride there and back

It made me feel so good. Shattered at first but after a while i didnt notice it. MP3 player on and a good cycle - brilliant.

Most people use the issue of the weather as a reason why they wouldnt use a bike. To me though its not an issue. The range of clothing you can get can easily combat the rain effectively. Dare I say, riding in the rain used to be fun! The only true element enemy is the wind which can make cycling much more difficult.

I wish more people used bikes. I realise its not for everyone but it would certainly kerb our ever increasing overweight population problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    I can honestly say I really miss my bike rides to and from work. People called me mad as, when I worked in leeds, I purposely moved out to Bradford because it meant I had a longer ride there and back

Great post Paul positive and encouraging.

But why did you go to the expense of moving home you could have just taken longer route or cycled half way to work turned back gone home rung the doorbell and then cycled back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    Great post Paul positive and encouraging.

But why did you go to the expense of moving home you could have just taken longer route or cycled half way to work turned back gone home rung the doorbell and then cycled back to work.

Very true. Part of the reason was because of the hill climb as Bradford is significantly higher then Leeds (Leeds is in a valley) as Bradford verges on the pennines. It made for an enjoyable and much more picturesque ride than through Leeds city centre
    I guess the fact that I was slightly closer to Manchester also contributed. That motorway section between Leeds and Bradford is horrible!

An Eclectic Toaster

One great thing about cycling to work, which hasn't been mentioned yet, is time reliability. No issues with train breakdowns, jams, strikes...I'll get on my bike at 8:45 and be at my desk before 9, without exception.

Very true. Part of the reason was because of the hill climb as Bradford is significantly higher then Leeds .......and much more picturesque ride than through Leeds
    ..... That motorway section between Leeds and Bradford is horrible!
    other motives AH! I see!

I wish more people used bikes. I realise its not for everyone but it would certainly kerb our ever increasing overweight population problem.
    Its also better for the environment!

I used to Cycle from Cove to Old Aberdeen, and I was a good Cyclist I stopped at red lights though one time a car hit me cause he thought I was going to go . but it was half a hour there (down hill all the way) and 45 mins to a hour back and to be honest I felt ace. Though if you are going to go cycling for distance get cycling shorts...sooo comfy!

Though I have to say one thing about cycling the bad points....though you wear luminous clothing some how you are invisible to cars the amount of times I was cut up and almost hit was countless... even when I was in a cycle lane....

That aside it is fun and I would love to go hill cycling that would be fun.....

Plus dont let the weather put you off Rain can suck, wind....that a pain but Snow....now you're talking!!! That was so much fun though I totalled on a few corners and once hit a boulder...that wasn't fun apart from that its an experience, a nice cover of snow dressed in all the ghetto and some loud rock music to get the adrenaline pumping....that's all you need!!

When I first moved back to London I used to cycle to work every day. In the first year I was hit up the backside with a door mirror, knocked off once, pulled out in front of by a lorry causing me to swerve into the pavement, and best of all, hit from behind at traffic lights, when I pulled up for a red and the lady said "oh, you were on a bike and I didn't think you were going to stop". Needless to say the police did bu**er all

I take the bus, or walk now.

MP3 player on and a good cycle - brilliant
    Sounds a bit suicidal to me.

...I wish more people used bikes. I realise its not for everyone but it would certainly kerb our ever increasing overweight population problem.
    A problem here can be the bike has to be rated for a suitable weight to start with.

With the ever increasing fuel prices and the fact that the number of people on bikes using MY bike lanes has considerably increased I thought I would ressurect this thread with a spot of advice.

As I am now cycling into and out of London I wanted to share this website:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers...es/default.asp

Unfortunately it is only of use for Greater London and surrounds but it does detail the best cycling routes to get, well, anywhere!!
    It has saved me so much time and has provided some brilliant routes that I would never have even thought of!
    Yesterdays was particularly good. London to Old Coulsdon. It took in some brilliant roads and some countryside that, quite frankly, I didnt know existed in that part of London as you can't see it from the road.

I like cycling but because I have to wear uniform to work it is quite impractical to take the bike there. I used to cycle to work when I lived in Bristol though and saw definite fitness benefits. Went for a good long ride on Monday, think I'm still on the endorphins from it

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

When they invent bikes with saddles big enough to comfortably sit my ar$e on, i'll start cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post

Most people use the issue of the weather as a reason why they wouldnt use a bike. To me though its not an issue. The range of clothing you can get can easily combat the rain effectively. Dare I say, riding in the rain used to be fun! The only true element enemy is the wind which can make cycling much more difficult.
    What Riding in a light drizzle wasnt that bad if you had a waterproof on but when i used to cycle i used to hate proper rain. Just gets in your eyes although i suppose maybe i should have worn some sort of glasses One other enemy is cold. If it is a cold day then your feet can get very cold/go numb, etc although i dont have the best circulation in my extremeties so maybe it isnt the same for all

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    One other enemy is cold. If it is a cold day then your feet can get very cold/go numb, etc although i dont have the best circulation in my extremeties so maybe it isnt the same for all
    Yes, its definately something that needs to be defended against. Certainly not impossible though.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    I like cycling but because I have to wear uniform to work it is quite impractical to take the bike there. I used to cycle to work when I lived in Bristol though and saw definite fitness benefits. Went for a good long ride on Monday, think I'm still on the endorphins from it
    Could you not leave your work clothes at work in a suit carrier. Thats what I tend to do. I leave about 3 or 4 shirts, trousers and my shoes in there for the week and just get changed when I get in. Get the shirts dry cleaned on a Friday afternoon and do it all again!
    Sometimes I shower when I get there but sometimes just a quick touch up will do

A lot of people say that they are all hot and sweaty when they get to work. At the start that maybe true but doing the same route day in day out will not make you the fittest person in the world but it will train your body and will result in a lot less perspiration after a while.

Ok, off my soap box now

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Having lived just outside Amsterdam for a bit I can appreciate just how cycling unfriendly the UK is, but London takes the entire packet of biscuits - I'm surprised there are not more deaths.

A lot of people say that they are all hot and sweaty when they get to work. At the start that maybe true but doing the same route day in day out will not make you the fittest person in the world but it will train your body and will result in a lot less perspiration after a while.
    Actually i have read in a few places that fitter people can sweat more as their body is better trained at getting rid of excess heat (through sweating - thats my excuse anyway). Although as the ride becomes easier this process should be reversed.

Sweat it: perspiration is nature's way of cooling hot muscles. But it can also leave you physically depleted and socially undesirable - Health | Men's Fitness | Find Articles at BNET.com

An Eclectic Toaster

As I am now cycling into and out of London I wanted to share this website:

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers...es/default.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Having lived just outside Amsterdam for a bit I can appreciate just how cycling unfriendly the UK is, but London takes the entire packet of biscuits - I'm surprised there are not more deaths.
    As a regular cyclist, I'd point you to this website to show a) the antediluvian cultural attitude to cycling provision in the UK, and b) it's not just London:

Warrington Cycling Campaign's "Cycling Facility of the Month"

September 2007's a peach.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post

Thats brilliant

I always laugh at the 20 ft long cycle lanes

Inbetween my days of running as a hobby and my current hobby of dancing I used to cycle as a main interest. Most of that cycling was with the Cyclist Touring Club and a fair bit with my running club friends.

I was (and still am) quite fortunate to work somewhere that has lots of showers and lockers. So I could stock up with all of the clothes that I needed for work and cycle commute the 17 miles from home to work, have a hot shower and clean clothes for a days work. Strangley enough it was slighlty quicker by bike than it was by car at just under the hour.

My sundays were mostly out with the CTC for a 70-80 mile ride or doing Audax rides although I mostly did the 150Km rides. The longest I ever did in a day was 130miles. The most memorable ride I did was Lands end to John O'Groats in 14 days.

In my time of cycling I discovered that

1) Once a car draws level with you then you seem to be infinitely thin. So they have no problem veering towards the verge and crushing you if another car comes from the opposite direction.

2) Once a car has passed your bike then your bike has zero speed. This is why they can pass you and immediately turn left. It comes as a surprise to them that you have hit them in the side of the car, bent their door and am wanting them to pay for the damage to your bike.

3) There is nothing like a pair or ex army surplus goretex socks over your own socks in the highland snow and wind for keeping your feet toasty. A real bargain at £7 (cyclists just love a bargain).

4) A pair of black 50 denier or thicker tights is the cheapest and most fantasticly warm thing to have under your cycle trousers. Just don't tell your running club mate or they will rib you mercilessly for 5 miles, then realise they are freezing thier kneecaps off and dive into the next village shop to buy some of their own.

5) Ortileb cycle panniers are the mutts gonads. Tough, simple and so waterproof you can use them to float you and your bike across scottish rivers and your clothes are still dry on the other side. You can even get an attachment to convert them into a rucksack.

I don't cycle much these days as I don't have the energy to cycle and dance 5 nights a week now that I am older, fatter and less fit and need to carry loads of clothes to far flung dance venues in the evening. I still enjoy it and think that it is a great way to see things that you miss when you are in a car. It often reminds me of how beautiful the country that I live in really is once you are onto the small roads marked in yellow on the OS maps.

Thread Information