Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Ceroc Report cards

Re: Ceroc Report cards

Darn and I thought this thread dead!

Look if you want someone to pick on your dancing there are plenty of people who will! There are also plenty who will give advice. Just ask for it.

Thats very simply the simple answer. Ask!

Ok Ok this threads dead Whatever happened here's long gone. The areas secure. Lets make our way through to operations and write some new threads.

Over and Out!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers
    Darn and I thought this thread dead!
    It's The Thread That Can't Die

Look if you want someone to pick on your dancing there are plenty of people who will! There are also plenty who will give advice. Just ask for it.

Thats very simply the simple answer. Ask!
    Sorry, but I honestly think that some form of, for want of a better word "structure" in MJ is the only way the dance will progress.

And that structure should involve things such as:
    - mandatory criteria, regular reviews, career progression, support and training for taxi dancers
    - available and well-publicised mini-assessments by someone qualified to give them for dancers at various stages
    - more defined criteria for levels of class

So I'll keep banging on about these topics, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    . . . . . is the only way the dance will progress.
    Huh? No really Huh?

. . . . .So I'll keep banging on about these topics, I'm afraid.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. . . .!

Please God tonight as I pray for all the new dancers can I ask a boon? Please please God can we have our real Dark DJ back?
    Hmmmm mayhap I talk in the wrong direction. . . .

Oi Beelzebub Give us the real DJ back!!

Juju

I have to say I'm one of those who disagree vehemently. I've read this thread, I've also looked at the other thread about blue cards and gold cards, and I still don't like the idea. It's not Ash's idea of a report card which puts me off so much, but all of this....

Sorry, but I honestly think that some form of, for want of a better word "structure" in MJ is the only way the dance will progress.

- mandatory criteria, regular reviews, career progression, support and training for taxi dancers
    - available and well-publicised mini-assessments by someone qualified to give them for dancers at various stages
    I can understand the argument for some standardisation in the role of taxi dancers, but, really - is there not enough red tape in the world already?? You want more???

My mother, for example, and yes, there is a point to this, is retired and takes lessons in painting. Just for fun. But these days the whole exercise has to be justifed by the writing of "mini essays" to demonstrate to the Powers That Be that Useful Things are happening in her Art classes. What happened to doing things for fun? Or am I just being old-fashioned here? I go to ceroc because I like it and for some blessed relief to all of that stuff - (I'm a teacher, btw) - "mini assessments"?! Eek! Hateful! A coloured card to show to the world that I've made sod all progress in three years?! (And not opting for a card at all would be even worse.) No thank you! I dance for fun (crikey, there goes that word again), which is why I rarely do lessons, and this would just add an unnecessary source of stress, like there aren't enough already.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Yo, David, dude - just chuck in a few Three Letter Acronyms (doesn't matter what they stand for, just make'em up) and just a couple more buzz-words ("mandatory criteria"? I'm sorry but WHAT-THE-FRIG is that?) and you'll be ready to work for my local council as part of the neighborhood partnership, or district renewal scheme, or local area project, or whatever great scheme they (think they) are working on this month. They're so buried in bureaucracy that they never get anything done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juju
    I can understand the argument for some standardisation in the role of taxi dancers, but, really - is there not enough red tape in the world already?? You want more???

My mother, for example, and yes, there is a point to this, is retired and takes lessons in painting. Just for fun. But these days the whole exercise has to be justifed by the writing of "mini essays" to demonstrate to the Powers That Be that Useful Things are happening in her Art classes. What happened to doing things for fun? Or am I just being old-fashioned here? I go to ceroc because I like it and for some blessed relief to all of that stuff - (I'm a teacher, btw) - "mini assessments"?! Eek! Hateful! A coloured card to show to the world that I've made sod all progress in three years?! (And not opting for a card at all would be even worse.) No thank you! I dance for fun (crikey, there goes that word again), which is why I rarely do lessons, and this would just add an unnecessary source of stress, like there aren't enough already.
    Amen to that - a thousand times.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Whilst the intermediate taxis are stood around bored out of their tiny minds because no-one wants to dance with them
    I think for the purposes of this thread we're assuming that lots of intermediate dancers want to get feedback on how to improve, and thus the intermediate taxis will be rushed off their feet by people wanting tips and suggestions. If that's not the case, maybe the idea isn't so hot.

Ok Ok this threads dead
    There does seem to be a pythonesque trend on the forum to randomly declaring threads dead.

..the only way the dance will progress...
    Do dances progress, or do they just change? Is Modern Jive a progression from French Jive? Is WCS a progression from Lindy? Is Jango a progression from Tango?

Ceroc report cards -- fantastic idea.

But perhaps you're thinking about it the wrong way. Maybe the best way is to mark the class (as a whole) fill out a report card and give it to the teachers, so that they can correct their future lessons.

"Time 9:24:47pm, 123 dancers: danced with 24: got 4 hand crushers, 2 cases of BO, 12 bouncers and a yanker.", "First move needs a bit more detail on the lady's footwork.", "Leads were a bit rough on that dominator, maybe give the safety advice earlier", "Number of jokes great -- but maybe some new material. Please!" etc.

Should get round all the problems of individual appraisal

SpinDr

P.S. In fact you could even post them on here Oh, hang on...

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I think for the purposes of this thread we're assuming that lots of intermediate dancers want to get feedback on how to improve, and thus the intermediate taxis will be rushed off their feet by people wanting tips and suggestions. If that's not the case, maybe the idea isn't so hot.
    If it were the case that so many wanted feedback, I'm sure they'd all be asking for it even as we speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Harper
    Is Modern Jive a progression from French Jive? Is WCS a progression from Lindy? Is Jango a progression from Tango?
    ...is DavidJames a progression from Andy McGregor?

Quote Originally Posted by Juju
    What happened to doing things for fun?
    Big

Oh well, in about 5 billion years the Sun will go supernova and none of this will matter anyway.

Thread Information