Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Report cards

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Ceroc Report cards

I personally, like many others I am sure, am always thinking about my dancing and how I could improve it-style, technique etc. Alot of the time when I am dancing I will follow a move and think "I wonder if I am following that wrong"; usually it is the same moves so perhaps I am right in thinking so.

Anyway! Wouldn't it be nice if we could get dance report cards, just like being back at school, that way we would know what to do to improve. I think it would save alot of people from making the same mistakes time and time again (me included). I do realise this probably wouldn't be feasibly possible as Ceroc isn't structured like other dance classes where the teacher would get to know everyone alot easier as it would be a smaller class and different setting, but wouldn't it be cool? I know I can be a big nerd alot of the time, but that is just me What do you all think?

ash

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Ceroc Report cards

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    IAnyway! Wouldn't it be nice if we could get dance report cards, just like being back at school
    No! I can't think of anything more capable of preventing new members from dancing Ceroc than this!

Can you imagine? "Donkey-boy works hard at his first moves, which have improved significantly this term. He must learn not to tread on his partners feet though. Effort: B+ Overall: C-"

Eeyore, Eeyore, 'e always says stuff like that but I agree whole heartedly this time.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    No! I can't think of anything more capable of preventing new members from dancing Ceroc than this!

Have to say I completely agree.
    The best thing about dancing is that it's fun!
    Make it based on "how good your report card is" and all that fun goes right out the window.

Can you imagine? "Donkey-boy works hard at his first moves, which have improved significantly this term. He must learn not to tread on his partners feet though. Effort: B+ Overall: C-"
    I can think of lots of things more capable.

I think it's a good idea – for those that want it. (Though if you want this sort of feedback, maybe just ask your teacher...)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Well, once again no one understands what I mean

Well, once again no one understands what I mean
    I understand you.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I understand you.
    maybe you could explain it to us?
    Maybe it is a good idea and ESG and I have misunderstood

Why not just approach your teacher, say "can you dance with me and let me know what you would recomment I need to work on to improve?"

Yes, I meant only if you want the feedback. I have asked taxi's and teachers lots of times for feedback, but I dunno it never seems to be enough. As usual you have all got too serious and jumped down my throat

Ash, do you mean a structured system of feedback so that you know what you need to work on to improve? There was some discussion on this on another thread a while back.

Feedback is a vital part of learning. Beginners can get feedback from taxis, but once past that stage then getting feedback is very much optional and we usually need to go looking for it. But there are ways - a smaller group workshop, asking a more experienced dancer to offer feedback (I have done this), asking someone to watch you dance and offer feedback.

If you want more structure you could ask the teacher to have a dance with you with a view to highlighting a couple of points to work on, then ask them to dance with you again perhaps a month later, reminding them of the things you were working on and assessing your progress.

Yes, I meant only if you want the feedback. I have asked taxi's and teachers lots of times for feedback, but I dunno it never seems to be enough.
    I guess if you want a great deal of quality individual feedback, then a (short) private lesson is probably your best bet.

Or maybe join a class for a dance that features more technique?

SpinDr

I think Ash is asking for us forumites to construct a home-made report card for her, and have all the people she dances with fill it in. I'm sure there are some appropriate designs available on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    maybe you could explain it to us?
    Maybe it is a good idea and ESG and I have misunderstood
    OK...

What a report card would do beyond all the other suggestions would be to provide a framework of assessment and feedback – delivered in a written form.

Asking teachers, private lessons, feedback from Joe Punter – all good, but it could miss things, it could be difficult to express the feedback, and by the time you've had another few dances you've forgotten what you'd been told.

A report card would have maybe half a dozen aspects to dancing, and you could be scored on each. Assessment and effort – both useful. Space for written comments on each area, plus an over-all mark with comments.

This would let *those that want to* know where they need to put in extra effort, and encourage them where they are doing well.

Sounds like a good idea to me... After all, they've been used in schools for decades, if not centuries – they must serve a useful pedagogical role.

He must learn not to tread on his partners feet though. Effort: B+ Overall: C-"
    Height A+

Dress sense F-

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I think Ash is asking for us forumites to construct a home-made report card for her, and have all the people she dances with fill it in. I'm sure there are some appropriate designs available on the internet.
    Martin, I miss you!

I'm not sure Ceroc's the best way to provide the structured format Ash wants. The size of the average class would make it hard for the teacher to assess everyone (or those particular people who have requested it, if it works that way...).

However, wouldn't it be nice to get gold stars for good behaviour....

(or detention & lines for those who are naughty... )

"I must not hi-jack my Glasgow partners.... I must not hi-jack my Glasgow partners...."

Blimey, this thread got to the 5th post before someone agreed with the first post. Must be a record.

I'm agin report cards as SOP and with spindr that the best way to get feedback is a private lesson or from trusted friends/taxis/teachers. If you want it in written format then take notes! I have form phobia (bit of a problem for a PA) so can't think of anything worse than a standard report card. Yuk. Sorry Ash, but informal is the way to go here.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I think it's an interesting idea.

I agree it'd be totally wrong to subject new starters to that, but as a voluntary feedback / assessment, done at a specific stage, I reckon it's got a lot to recommend it.

The Australian "Blue Card" system is assessment / review-based, and that seems to work OK for them. (Here's the thread about it - is this the one you were thinking of, Lynn?)

The bonus of a "report", instead of just a "dance" is that it's written down - it's not verbal feedback which we can forget or misinterpret; it's a proper structure, with the results there in black and white for you to study and think about. OK, it'll probably be in a dance+write-up format, but it could look and feel more professional.

I reckon the optimal time to introduce such a system could be when you move up from beginner's to intermediates - offer people a free 10-minute assessment with a report card, something like that? Gyms use a similar system, and that seems to work well.

Certainly worth discussing I reckon.

Aaaaargh! am getting school flashbacks!

"Pete tries hard but gets distracted easily. Could do better"

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

As soon as some people start getting cards out and writing down their scores, everyone else is going to get the idea that either they ought to be doing the same or they're second rate and ought to give up Ceroc.

I'm sorry, but informal, formal, optional, voluntary, only for those that really want it, however you word it, I think it's a truly dreadful idea.

Thread Information