Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur cabarets?

Re: Southport June 06; the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    The people cabaret was by far the best ive seen and to learn that in a few hours
    God knows what it was like previously then

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird

Given they have about 4hrs to prepare, glad to see you will do better next time

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Given they have about 4hrs to prepare, glad to see you will do better next time
    I'm sorry, but I didn't really enjoy the group thing either. They were clearly having fun, and to them for putting the effort into it, but it didn't do much for me.

Having said that, I'm not a big cabaret fan anyway, the only part I enjoyed was Robert and Deborah's second set - I only sat through it in anticipation of the AT cabaret (which never happened ).

I'm not quite sure why people do these big line-dance sequence-oriented performances. It's like the "Ecuador" routine at last year's MJC - that was 5 hours of classes for a 4-minute routine. Madness, it's all madness...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    I'm not quite sure why people do these big line-dance sequence-oriented performances. It's like the "Ecuador" routine at last year's MJC - that was 5 hours of classes for a 4-minute routine. Madness, it's all madness...
    Well perhaps they could run a competition, with heats, to see who gets into the final routine. The audience could vote on it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Well perhaps they could run a competition, with heats, to see who gets into the final routine. The audience could vote on it...
    Look, don't even joke about that, OK?

I dunno - cabarets never do anything for me, maybe I'm just missing the Cabaret Appreciation Gene or something. To me, the hour it took between 11pm and midnight is prime dancing time.

(Caveat: to Wes and John for the organisation and to the performers for performing - don't mind me, I'm just a grumpy git.)

To me, the hour it took between 11pm and midnight is prime dancing time.
    Watching the cabaret wasn't obligatory. There was music playing in both the Latin and Blues rooms, with 4/5 couples in each...you could have joined them. When the fancy dress parade started I scarpered!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks
    Watching the cabaret wasn't obligatory.
    It was if you were sat in the front row, right behind Mr Selmon - I didn't want to be greeted for the rest of my weekend with "Oh, you're the one who walked out in the middle of XXX, aren't you?"

There was music playing in both the Latin and Blues rooms, with 4/5 couples in each...you could have joined them. When the fancy dress parade started I scarpered!
    I was seduced under false pretences, lured by the promise of an AT cabaret

Quote Originally Posted by karlhudds
    to be honest
    and i will be brutily
    i never danced once in the main room
    Bit hotshotty, but then aren't we all. For what it's worth, neither did I - I tried once with Limpy Tink, but the music went all weird on us. Big rooms scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by karlhudds
    and only just once in the latin quarter
    WHAT!! Well, that's definitely Just Plain Wrong. I know, I said be nice to newbies, but come on...

On the other hand, all the more for me

I doubt there were many forumites that spent much time in the main room.
    Uh-huh. Clique, clique, clique...

It was if you were sat in the front row, right behind Mr Selmon - I didn't want to be greeted for the rest of my weekend with "Oh, you're the one who walked out in the middle of XXX, aren't you?"

I was seduced under false pretences, lured by the promise of an AT cabaret

Bit hotshotty, but then aren't we all. For what it's worth, neither did I - I tried once with Limpy Tink, but the music went all weird on us. Big rooms scare me.

WHAT!! Well, that's definitely Just Plain Wrong. I know, I said be nice to newbies, but come on...

On the other hand, all the more for me

Uh-huh. Clique, clique, clique...
    Sounds like you had **** time at this weekender didnt like people and wanted to hide, maybe there not for you ?

Blog Entries

Sounds like you had **** time at this weekender didnt like people and wanted to hide, maybe there not for you ?
    Nah, I just like to whinge a lot

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird
    I'd just like to say that I was one of those who took part in the cabaret, and I think we all worked really hard in rehearsals - I was dripping in sweat and had aching muscles. I came off the floor on the Saturday night feeling really good about having got through the routine without any major gaffes (especially since I'd rarely got through it error-free in rehearsals), despite having had the added pressure of being in the front row. Now I can completely appreciate that it's not everyone's thing, and I'm quite sure from the routines I've watched before that it would have been far from perfect, but I think a comment which is effectively "you were rubbish" is a bit of a slap in the face. Getting 50 people even to clap in time, never mind dance a Charleston routine, is a much harder task than anyone realises who hasn't tried it. We had approximately 2.5 hours learning the routine then around an hour of run-throughs. As someone else has said - if you think it wasn't as good as it could have been, feel free to do better.

Like I said, it's not everyone's thing, but that's completely different from criticising the quality of the performance.

Graham, having been part of a cabaret routine, I thought N&N's team did amazingly well. It was for me, the best part of the cabaret session. Well done!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    Graham, having been part of a cabaret routine, I thought N&N's team did amazingly well. It was for me, the best part of the cabaret session. Well done!
    Well, as I said, it didn't do much for me - but, as I also said to the teachers and organisers for their hard work.

Having said that - if you don't like criticism, then don't do cabarets or competitions, criticism surely comes with the territory for these things.

Having said that - if you don't like criticism, then don't do cabarets or competitions, criticism surely comes with the territory for these things.
    To me it looked messy, nobody was smiling. I appreciate that it took peoples time to do, but if somethings worth doing surely its worth doing well?

Commercial Operator

Erm...I think this was done as a bit of fun, and not as a "serious" cabaret performance. FWIW, I think they all did very well considering the short time it took to put together. I don't think being a good sport and joining in for something that is purely for fun & entertainment, merits serious criticism a la Arlene Phillips........ It wasn't a brilliant polished performance, it was what it was meant to be...a bit of fun, which the majority of people enjoyed. mission accomplished I would say

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon
    Erm...I think this was done as a bit of fun, and not as a "serious" cabaret performance. FWIW, I think they all did very well considering the short time it took to put together. I don't think being a good sport and joining in for something that is purely for fun & entertainment, merits serious criticism a la Arlene Phillips........ It wasn't a brilliant polished performance, it was what it was meant to be...a bit of fun, which the majority of people enjoyed. mission accomplished I would say

having donce this once myself I have the utmost respect for those that part took in the charleston @ Southport - as while it is done fun - there is always a element of nerves/fear that you are going ot stuff and fall on your butt.

IMHO those thats that are reviewing it as if it was a serious Cabaret are missing the point and being just plain mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander

IMHO those thats that are reviewing it as if it was a serious Cabaret are missing the point and being just plain mean.
    Not at all. I think it takes guts to get up there and do it, Im not taking that away from anyone I just think it could've been put together properly instead of thrown together.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The thing is, Nigel and Nina can't exactly audition people for it, so they have to work with what talent they've been dealt

From where I was standing, (face on) I could only see N&N and the front row and they we all smiling and giving it their best even though one chap was very out of sync (no, it wasn't you Graham ) that just added to the fun for me!

I remember all to well, helping to choreograph a school show (never again ) and believe me, whatever big idea's I had to start with, soon felt apart .. I'd spent ages dreaming up idea's based on my own kids abilities but I no had idea how many kids (which I HAD to include) couldn't even hop on one leg!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

As part of the cabaret and on the front row I know I smiled and so did many others as proof just see the photos!!!!!
    If you can't say nice things then don't say anything. The routine was fun and bloody hard work...
    We all took part to have fun and learn some new moves, I know that myself and the rest of the team did and if you don't like watching them then don't!!!!
    I personal would like to thank Nigel and Nina for getting us through it.
    xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    If you can't say nice things then don't say anything.
    It's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

Of course you are. I was merely informing you of the impact of posting it. We don't often see on this forum comments such as "I had a crap dance with X", and I can't believe it's because nobody has formed such an opinion. Of course it wasn't polished - I have participated in and helped choreograph routines for competitions, and it takes many hours of work to get anything approaching polished, even with 10 people, never mind 50. So all I was pointing out was that, in my opinion, any valid comparison should really be with a group who has had the same amount of time to prepare.

Thread Information