Thread: Weekender names

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Blaze: Scottish Week-ender! Craig Tara 11th - 14th May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    There will be three rooms in the evenings at Blaze (most likely: Main (Disco Inferno) - Blues (Cinders) - Latin (Embers))
    OK, these names are beginning to get on my nerves now - Breeze, Blaze, Storm, Chill, whatever. How on earth are people supposed to remember what event / room is what?

Has someone at Ceroc Central been following a marketing book written in the 1990's? It's like renaming the Post Office as Consignia or something

What's wrong with location- or date-specific names?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    OK, these names are beginning to get on my nerves now - Breeze, Blaze, Storm, Chill, whatever. How on earth are people supposed to remember what event / room is what?
    ~ snip
    You mean these aren't characters from the new X-men film?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToeTrampler
    You mean these aren't characters from the new X-men film?
    Could be - do you get cool dance powers if you stay in the Blues Room for an entire weekend?

Hmmm, Storm did do a heck of a lot of spins in that film, but I'm not sure that the lightning bolts were really helpful in a dance situation. Not unless you really wanted to clear the floor, anyway.

Re: Week-ender names... Storm, Chill, Bliss, Blaze!

It seems terribly illogical to me that the one in Scotland is given the hottest name of the lot - no offence, but blazing heat is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Scotland.

Apart from all the Scottish dancers obviously: you're all steaming - in a good way!

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    It seems terribly illogical to me that the one in Scotland is given the hottest name of the lot - no offence, but blazing heat is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Scotland.

Apart from all the Scottish dancers obviously: you're all steaming - in a good way!
    Since when did logic have anything to do with names?

I'm not a big fan of the names myself... It does get confusing.

At the same time, branding is important and I can understand why Ceroc want to create a brand identity around their weekenders.

I wonder if Jive Addiction care that no-one calls Southport "Jiving You < whatever >"?

I can't remember the name of the organisation that runs the non-Ceroc Camber events – so what does that say?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious

Oo-er, I've created a new thread without even thinking about it
    Damn, I'm good

Anyway, that's my point - not that the names themselves are naff (although they are), but that they have no information content. The names give no indication of two key facts about a weekender: date and location.

Hence, there are two Ceroc weekenders in September, and I'm damned if I can remember which one is which, or what they're called or why...

I appreciate the need to provide a unique identity to Ceroc weekenders, but to me these names have no content. Unless they're supposed to signify seasonal weather conditions or something??

Names are important - also, they have inertia. So we refer to "Camber", "Southport", etc. A decent naming strategy would work with and expand on these de facto names, and improve on them.

With the first Ceroc weekender being at Camber I guess they couldn't call it Camber as people would (and did) get confused with Jivetime Camber events. So it would make sense to have a name for that one. But for all the rest a place and time specific name makes more sense to me.

Southport is just Southport. In fact its becoming a verb - I heard several people on the La Pineda holiday ask each other 'Are you Southporting?'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    With the first Ceroc weekender being at Camber I guess they couldn't call it Camber as people would (and did) get confused with Jivetime Camber events. So it would make sense to have a name for that one. But for all the rest a place and time specific name makes more sense to me.
    "[Venue] Ceroc-ender"?

Southport is just Southport. In fact its becoming a verb - I heard several people on the La Pineda holiday ask each other 'Are you Southporting?'
    But when I set up my dance organisation and run weekenders at Southport and Ayr, won't people get confused?

Better to have a unique easy to remember name from the start.

Although we're struggling to remember our Blisses from our Breezes, I'm sure in a year or so we'll all be used to them...

Meanwhile we have loads of other weekenders that give no clue to their location or time. MJC... BFG... Rebel Rock... How have we managed up till now?

"[Venue] Ceroc-ender"?
    That's just naff. Bit like "Cerocshop" for workshop – does anyone actually call them that?

Donna

Anyway, that's my point - not that the names themselves are naff (although they are), but that they have no information content. The names give no indication of two key facts about a weekender: date and location.
    Hence, there are two Ceroc weekenders in September, and I'm damned if I can remember which one is which, or what they're called or why...
    I'd have thought the reason why they give these ceroc weekenders a name is so that you do know the difference. And besides, the names are catchy. Ceroc Breeze gives people the impression it's cool (which of course it is) and Ceroc Storm because it's also hot!

I appreciate the need to provide a unique identity to Ceroc weekenders, but to me these names have no content. Unless they're supposed to signify seasonal weather conditions or something??
    Maybe next year they'll think of something completely different. This year.. they're the elements, next year could be......ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I'd have thought the reason why they give these ceroc weekenders a name is so that you do know the difference. And besides, the names are catchy. Ceroc Breeze gives people the impression it's cool (which of course it is) and Ceroc Storm because it's also hot!
    A breeze is cooling, light and pleasant. A storm can be a destructive, even deadly weather event. Not really a good association, I don't think blaze is either with its suggestion of something out of control. Give something an interesting name if you want but when you start to make all these associations like 'a storm is brewing' (don't know if they did that but to me it just sounds like 'trouble is coming') then it can just get silly.

Blog Entries

when you start to make all these associations like 'a storm is brewing' (don't know if they did that but to me it just sounds like 'trouble is coming') .
    Ooh, I feel a Terminator quote coming on... I'll go and lie down till the urge goes away.

From the current list of Ceroc weekenders, and ignoring established events like MJC / Champs etc., we have:
    • Bliss (Camber, September)
    • Breeze (Brean Sands, October)
    • Storm (Camber, March)
    • Chill (Prestatyn, April)
    • Blaze (Scotland, May)

(I kept on getting both dates and locations wrong when making this list up, by the way, shows how memorable they are)

So, after you have bliss, you suffer a breeze, which turns into a storm and then becomes a chill. You then light a fire which makes a blaze.

Makes perfect sense to me

Donna

So, after you have bliss, you suffer a breeze, which turns into a storm and then becomes a chill. You then light a fire which makes a blaze.

Makes perfect sense to me

Makes a good story!

Commercial Operator

• Breeze (Brean Sands, October)

Living 10 miles from Brean on the Bristol Channel coast I can guarantee that Breeze is a complete undertatement of what you can expect in October. Howling Gale is more likely.

I agree though silly names don't add anything.

We're off to Rockbottom's Lindy one this weekend in Torquay - I think from that description I can tell exactly what to expect

I think Disco Inferno is quite an appropriate name for main rooms at weekenders

I think that all Ceroc weekenders should be called Storm and just be followed by a Roman numeral. It worked for Rocky & the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

EDIT: Oh, and we could use the same thread for all of them. Two birds with one stone

Donna

We're off to Rockbottom's Lindy one this weekend in Torquay - I think from that description I can tell exactly what to expect

Hmmm which makes me think maybe it would be better to call these events after where ever they are being held... like for e.g, CEROC BRISTOL, or CEROC SCOTLAND etc etc etc. It would still cause confusion though because people won't know if it's a weekender or a normal freestyle night. Maybe adding WEEKEND at the end might help.

Maybe they just best stick to Breeze, Storm etc and stick to the same names next year. That way people will become more familiar as to what it is and where it's being held.

Commercial Operator

FWIW, I think Blaze fits...

It's too cheesy to take itself seriously
    It has a risk/out of control element
    It's hot (the action, not the weather)
    (potentially too hot for some)
    It'll leave it's mark for some time

WELCOME TO SCOTLAND

Thread Information