Thread: Lottery Scam

Lottery Scam

This morning my Dad recieved a letter that appeared to be from the organisers of the euromillions lottery. The letter claimed that there had been a mix up in during the draw and as a result the winning tickets had only just been identified and suprise suprise my Dad was thought to of had one!

The letter then went on to say that to claim the money, which was a significant amount, my Dad had to fill in the attached form which asked for name, address, date of birth, occupation, bank details and details of his next of kin!

The letter was supposedly from the Spanish section of the Euro Millions and the form from a well known Spanish bank (with a very proffessional looking website). Both of the letters had the official logos on them and the letters did look very convincing.

The give-away that this was a scam was that the supposed winning numbers were not my dad's he has used the same numbers from the the start!

I know scams are occuring more and more often but just thought I would warn you all of this one, especially as the form asked for so much detail, that it is quite possible that they would not only of had your money but also your identity had you actually filled in the form.

Re: Lottery Scam

Report it to your local Office of Fair Trading (www.oft.gov.uk). They and the police will probably show *no* particular interest as these things are sadly extremely common - I get at least 3 or 4 a month in my work e-mail (which is posted on the internet as the organisation's contact details ).

They are banking on the fact that some people's greed will overcome their common sense.

Rule of thumb: if it sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is

Thread Information