View Poll Results: Are "Who's going where this weekend" threads useful?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're great - tell me where my friends / good dancers are

22 57.89%
  • I don't mind (you need to get out more DJ)

5 13.16%
  • They're evil, a harbinger of the End Of Days (it's 6/6/6 after all)

5 13.16%
  • Cliquey-cliquey

6 15.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Who's going where this weekends" threads - do we need them?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Who's going where this weekends" threads - do we need them?

Ooh, my first poll since my resurrection as DarkDJ

Because, frankly, they don't do much for me (and I doubt I'm the only one) - they always seem quite provincial (eg. usually not Scotland) and pointless (there's very little information in them about each venue - merits / drawbacks etc.)

If we have to have them, how about doing something clever like linking them to Lyndaslist.com, so that at least we don't need to have polls for them... Or possibly saying something about the venue(s) in question?

Re: "Who's going where this weekends" threads - do we need them?

What about the Singleton's Sofa - surely the damn thing is threadbare now isn't it about time this was retired and a couple of high back armchairs and a commode were brought in?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Confession time....

I do believe it was me who first invented them when the first BFG was announced

It's nice to know who we can look forward to meeting at the major events but they do seemed to have gotten a bit out on control of late
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I think its also nice to find out what's going on
    Cos I'm a lazy birdie and the Ar$e factor gets in the way when looking up stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Because, frankly, they don't do much for me (and I doubt I'm the only one) - they always seem quite provincial (eg. usually not Scotland) and pointless

They may well do nothing for you!

They obviously do do something for some people otherwise there would not be so many so often.

It has become more of a social type of thread for those that wish to go dancing together mainly in the southeast of England.

There is no reason why other dancers from other areas could not do the same and start a thread.

I personally use these threads to see where many forumites may be going when Mrs Par and I have an opportunity to get out dancing which isn't very often.
    It helps me plan our itinary to know where our friends may be.

I like to go where there are other forum members as I always have difficulty mixing in large groups of unknown dancers.

Wanting to dance where your friends dance is nice.

I wish they could be more inclusive ie cover Scotland but if the Scottish options are limited then a thread covering Scottish venue options would be pointless.

There is only a need for a thread if there are numerous options available in a region.

If there is only one venue open why poll?

If you don't travel much for your dancing and are content dancing at your own venues these threads are pointless.

If you prefer not to be part of larger groups of like minded fun loving forum members at varying locations then the threads are also pointless.

There are many other more drivellous types of thread that you could try and improve first.

These threads are harmless and uncontentious but are for some people informative. I suggest if you don't like them don't read them.

Quote Originally Posted by under par
    They may well do nothing for you!

They obviously do do something for some people otherwise there would not be so many so often.

Totally agree. I make no bones about wanting to go to a venue that I know will have friends and dancers in attendance that I enjoy dancing with.

Keep 'em coming.

These threads are harmless and uncontentious but are for some people informative. I suggest if you don't like them don't read them.
    OK, I agree that we possibly don't need to have these threads every weekend - and yes, sometimes I feel jealous of all the fab dancing and dancers that I'm missing - but threads about what is on and who is going gives me some ideas of where and what I can go to if I feel like a visit.

And of course if I'm coming over for a visit then I think they are an excellent idea.

Blog Entries

There are many other more drivellous types of thread that you could try and improve first.
    Ooohhh... go on then, name and shame, I dare you. No, I double dare you.

I suggest if you don't like them don't read them.
    Yeah - but you can say that about any critique of any thread, surely?
    Should we never criticize a thread then, no matter how drivellous (Good word, that ), simply because we're not forced to read it?

These threads are harmless ...
    Not sure about that. While I think they are often helpful, it is possible they could be harmful where they don't contain a reasonably complete set of options for a travel to dance area.

After all you can have 24 items on a poll

:

Yeah - but you can say that about any critique of any thread, surely?
    Should we never criticize a thread then, no matter how drivellous (Good word, that ), simply because we're not forced to read it?

But surely with this type of thread you get exactly what it says on the side of the tin. (Its in the title!!)

Yes ! Yes ! It is there in the title of the thread.

If you want to show an interest in any venues other than your own regular venues OR want to know where other posters on this forum are heading off to this weekend or next, then you know exactly where to look.

It has to be a lot less drivellous than trawling through mountains of PMs (yes I do like DRIVELLOUS!!!!)

To read or not to read this is the ?

I've never really gotten the point of these polls, but if people want to know which event I'm going to I'm happy to spend 3 seconds clicking on the right box. I always took it to be more an excuse for athread to say how wonderful everything was after and thank all the lovely people involved - and although not everyone's cup of tea, I think on balance probably a good thing

It's been pointed out to me that you can't change your mind once you've voted, so the polls can be misleading anyway....

Be Well
    Christopher

(As for deleting the Singletons Sofa - I was severely tempted to start a second one when it got to just below 10,000 - can you have two threads with identical titles? )

The Dashing Moderator

If we have to have them, how about doing something clever like linking them to Lyndaslist.com
    UK-Jive did this test message almost 2 years ago which still shows the next event for a particular organisation.

Would it be possible for someone clever to do something similar which took data from uk-jive showing events for a particular weekend?

Then the first page in the thread would automatically update as long as organisers added their information (most are on uk-jive anyway, and it's more National than Lyndaslist). Probably wouldn't work as a poll though.

As others have said - a major factor in many people's decision on where to dance is knowing who else will be going. And these threads do help this process.
    Love dance, will travel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    UK-Jive did this test message almost 2 years ago which still shows the next event for a particular organisation.
    That's a feature

Cor, these computers are dead clever, aren't they?

It has to be a lot less drivellous than trawling through mountains of PMs (yes I do like DRIVELLOUS!!!!)
    I notice you haven't nominated the most drivellous threads

Cluck, cluck, cluck...

I notice you haven't nominated the most drivellous threads
    :
    I'm not going to either because I just don't bother reading them.

I like to take my own advice.

What I consider drivellous will be someone elses superentertaineous thread.

Live and let post..

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Would it be possible for someone clever to do something similar which took data from uk-jive showing events for a particular weekend?
    Ah, you see, there already is a thread that has exactly that feature. The trouble is, someone even cleverer wrote an Automatic Franck program that immediately moderates out the thread for advertising.

Computers - bloomin' marvellous.

So where is every one going this weekend?

and next week end?

TiggsTours

Very nice, but it doesn't tell you who's going. I like the "who's going where threads" because that's what I want to know. If I just wanted to know what was on, I could find that out from Lyndas list, along with other sources of information, or start off a "what's on" thread. The "who's going where" threads are for those nights when nothing springs out of the list at you, so you can narrow down your options by finding out where your friends will be.

Probably the main reason these threads are all centred around the same area of the country is because we're the ones that are lucky enough to be faced with so many options! If there's only one dance on in a 20 mile radius of where you live, why bother asking where people will be, its obvious! The same happens here in London too, the weekends when there's not much on, but its the first weekend of the month, and Hammersmith is on, you know, Hipsters, then Hammersmith, no need to ask, on those weekends, these threads never get posted.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

*pokes tounge out at DJ*

I think they are great, I totally agree with UP, PaulF, Fletch, WB etc it is a way we can all find out exactly what is on and where everyone will be. Keep em coming

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil

I think they are great, I totally agree with UP, PaulF, Fletch, WB etc it is a way we can all find out exactly what is on and where everyone will be. Keep em coming
    Well yes - from my POV, it's helpful to see where all the forumites are going...

(and back at you)

(and it's "tongue" )

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil
    *pokes tounge out at DJ*

I find them very useful, I think they are also handy for people who want to avoid large and allegedly cliquey gatherings of forumites...

Eh David?

Thread Information