Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grace period for new starters?

Re: Grace period for new starters?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp

Personally, I think that we are generally very welcoming to almost every person who joins the forum.
    Ho-hum, was it not thee who jumped quite hard on me when I innocently described myself as a perpetual beginner in one of my first posts ???

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    Ho-hum, was it not thee who jumped quite hard on me when I innocently described myself as a perpetual beginner in one of my first posts ???
    16 stone, 13lbs.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fletch
    mmmmmmmmm

You will have noticed in my original post that there was an 'almost'. Not quite sure why you felt a need to cut that out in your reply...

The Forum Legend

Nope. What my post said was...

Quote Originally Posted by theTramp
    Yeah. That's my line. Go find your own 'hook'.

But welcome to the forum anyhow

Trampy
    I'm sorry if this caused you to think that I jumped on you at all. Seems fairly innocuous to me.

I'm sorry if this caused you to think that I jumped on you at all. Seems fairly innocuous to me.
    It does indeed look fairly innocuous now, but at the time I did find it rather abrupt. Must have developed a thicker skin in the interim.

In terms of moves, I'm still a beginner ;-)

The Forum Legend

In terms of moves, I'm still a beginner ;-)
    That's ok. Me too

That's ok. Me too
    You are defiantly getting there, I thought you learnt one or two moves at Southport, now. .....the trick is to keep practising them.

The Oracle

There is a grace period already. It is that time between signing up and making your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    We don't tolerate them riding in on a Harley
    I didn't see this before. What is wrong with people who ride Harleys?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    There is a grace period already. It is that time between signing up and making your first post.
    Wow - that's almost as grumpy as me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I didn't see this before. What is wrong with people who ride Harleys?
    Nothing at all - it's just that the distinctive rhythm of the Harley engine (which as is widely known results from the 45 degree V-twin engine in which both cylinders share a single crankshaft pin) is too complex for a Ceroc teacher to find the beat.

Juju

Just for the record I think all newbies are great.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thought it was time to revive this thread

I still think a grace period is a good idea. I'd say something like 50 posts, or 1 month ideally.
    More realistically, we could adopt a convention / mechanism of "first 10 posts", as that's already existing for the "power" system?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Thought it was time to revive this thread
    Four months ago, the concensus was that there was no need for such a grace period. IIRC, this thread had been inspired by the appearence of one specific newbie, who made quite a stir with some forthright opinions.

Since then, we've also seen the introduction of GaG.

Do you really think that people's opinions will have changed in such a short time (in the way you'd personally like) to merit digging up this thread, again?

The Forum Legend

It depends on what the circumstances are!

Some people deliberately come on to cause division and make argument. Why should those people have a grace period?

And, because of those people, I think that there's a natural suspicion of people who just come on and do maybe post in the 'wrong way'.

I sort of think that you are right. There should be some sort of leeway for people who maybe do post in an unacceptable way, but not extended. If it's drawn to their attention that maybe they haven't started on the forum in the best way, and they carry on in that fashion, then the grace period can rapidly be dispensed with.

After all, we are all adults and have to take responsibility for our own actions....

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

Do you really think that people's opinions will have changed in such a short time (in the way you'd personally like) to merit digging up this thread, again?

There might be a good reason for reviving this tread and I might be replying later today.

I don't always get thing right, I personally believe my hart is in the right place? I do care, to much sometimes, but if i'm wrong I hope I am big enough to say so and apologise.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    What? Are you accusing me of... stirring?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post

After all, we are all adults and have to take responsibility for our own actions....

It's also very suspect when people leave their profile completely blank and just make rude remarks then when challenged make some excuse about not knowing how to work a pc etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    There might be a good reason for reviving this tread and I might be replying later today.
    Fair enough! I just assumed DJ was stirring again...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    What? Are you accusing me of... stirring?

I'm pretty new to the forum and don't necessarily expect a grace period, but would certainly appreciate it if people 'more in the know' or who have been around the forum longer, PM me if I post anything that is not quite cricket!

In general terms, I think it would be nice if new joiners get a little extra support on their first few posts, and were spared too much assault initially.

Just remember back to how you felt when you first joined the forum and you didn't know the un-said 'rules', who's who, the good, the bad and the evil

Having said all that I've found most people have been very friendly and welcoming - thank-you , so maybe nothing needs to change at all!

Quote Originally Posted by ALexyMiss View Post
    I'm pretty new to the forum and don't necessarily expect a grace period, but would certainly appreciate it if people 'more in the know' or who have been around the forum longer, PM me if I post anything that is not quite cricket!

In general terms, I think it would be nice if new joiners get a little extra support on their first few posts, and were spared too much assault initially.

Just remember back to how you felt when you first joined the forum and you didn't know the un-said 'rules', who's who, the good, the bad and the evil

Having said all that I've found most people have been very friendly and welcoming - thank-you , so maybe nothing needs to change at all!

Hi babes, carn't weight for the weekend

You won't need a PM someone will tell you

I made lots of mistakes when I first joined,and still do I was told to share information with the forum, by someone that had PMed me so I posted the PM, I now know to that is a definite no,no!

I had no information on my profile which meant people didn't believe I was real, I think that helped me when other forumtie new that I was a real person. and I don't mean, general information which could fit anyone, I mean I was REAL.

IMHO this place is real, in as much as, if you are shy or with no confidence, dion't type contraversual things on here that you wouldn't say to someones face, they might ask you later face to face ( and I don't meen agressiverly) it reminds me bit like 'road rage' the nicest of people go mad behing the wheel ?

Great advice!

Thank-you

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    IMHO this place is real, in as much as, if you are shy or with no confidence, dion't type contraversual things on here that you wouldn't say to someones face, they might ask you later face to face ( and I don't meen agressiverly) it reminds me bit like 'road rage' the nicest of people go mad behing the wheel ?

I think this is particularly interesting. I wonder how often people stick to this of only posting things they'd say face-to-face?

Thread Information