Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Grace period for new starters?

Re: Grace period for new starters?

IMO a grace period is not needed. To be honest the whole rep system confuses me a bit and I can't see the point - if anything it's a little off-putting as a newbie because not only do you have no posts but you have no rep points either

You will always get people trolling to cause trouble on any forum - most of the time self moderating works, and said person will bugger off after stirring up a bit of trouble and getting the attention they want. In the cases where they carry on IMO it is the job of the moderators to make a collective judgement as to what action should be taken - warnings at the lowest level, bannings at the highest. I am admin on another forum with around 3500 members on it and it seems to work fine there

Just my 2p

I must admit that as a beginner I felt a little like someone who was staring through a window into a crowded room with a big family in it, not knowing anyone, and whether some people's flippant remarks were serious or not. It can be quite daunting. However, knowing a good number of regulars on here 'face to face' makes a whole lot of difference. I am not 'debating' with a name and an icon. I am debating with people I know. So now, if they say something that seems to others to be 'a little abrupt or perhaps even hurtful' I know it's usually not meant like that. They're just being their usual sarky self

On the subject of 'we have had this discussion before' responses, I completely agree that a pleasant response and a link is much better for new people. Because new people would have a hard time trying to read through all 300k+ posts before asking a question. I think people need to be a bit kinder to those newbies. I know it scares people away from asking any further questions because they're afraid it's "Already been done before, we're not interested".

It pays to be 'patient' with new people, when they're being reasonable. But when they are obviously rude, I don't see why someone shouldn't tell them they are being rude (without being very rude back, as it only escalates). The same goes for posts from regular and grumpy old farts! If they are rude, you tell them The difference is you know said people will still ask you for a dance when you come face to face, because they are adults and they are Cerocers (if they are not at least one of those, they don't belong here)

The ones who don't even post a rough location on their profile worry me a bit. It would be nice to know what venues they frequent, if only to know how far away they are and what I am likely to get away with

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I had no information on my profile which meant people didn't believe I was real, I think that helped me when other forumtie new that I was a real person. and I don't mean, general information which could fit anyone, I mean I was REAL.
    Was that ever established? I still think of you all as a figment of my imagination. Perhaps if i meet anyone thats the moment when they actually puff into existence.

DavidJames doesnt exist - its just an artificial intelligence program at NASA.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Half past three.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I must admit that as a beginner I felt a little like someone who was staring through a window into a crowded room with a big family in it, not knowing anyone, and whether some people's flippant remarks were serious or not. It can be quite daunting. However, knowing a good number of regulars on here 'face to face' makes a whole lot of difference.
    I have similar problems as well, but can understand from both sides. On other forums I have been there for years and years, so I *AM* part of the Big Family there.
    My newbie experience here, and seeing the Big Family has actually helped me treat the newbies better on my other forums.

Its hard to get into the Big Family of you guys, and I've hardly met any of you lot. But you seem quite nice here.

The only problems I forsee is YOU lot getting used to my quirky and sarcastic sense of humour and you taking me serious when actually I'm just joking around (which is most of the time).

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    To be honest the whole rep system confuses me a bit and I can't see the point - if anything it's a little off-putting as a newbie because not only do you have no posts but you have no rep points either
    That's a very good point. I think all new members should on joining be given 1000 rep points, and about 250 posts, just to get them off the mark. That will be a whole lot less off-putting, and much less confusing to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Don't be silly. Not even NASA could come up with something *that* dumb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    Don't be silly. Not even NASA could come up with something *that* dumb.
    The purple cat jumped over the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    The purple cat jumped over the moon.
    I think he's about to core dump...

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    That's a very good point. I think all new members should on joining be given 1000 rep points, and about 250 posts, just to get them off the mark. That will be a whole lot less off-putting, and much less confusing to boot.

No need to be sarcy, I was just expressing an opinion. Of course I don't expect to be given any posts or points, I just can't see the point of all the rep stuff, haven't been on any other forum that uses it. What benefit does it give exactly?

No need to be sarcy, I was just expressing an opinion. Of course I don't expect to be given any posts or points, I just can't see the point of all the rep stuff, haven't been on any other forum that uses it. What benefit does it give exactly?
    Sorry, I just like to take the ****. What's the point of rep? It gives those of us that have it the opportunity to lord it over those of you that don't. In our sad, empty lives it gives us a little candle-flame of satisfaction.

(At least, that's what DavidJames told me it was for.)

What benefit does it give exactly?
    Theoretically it gives you an indication of how many worthy things someone has said and so a quick way of establishing how much credit to give their opinion. So clearly ESG knows more than me, and DavidJames knows more than both of us.........

Positive rep just seems to be a way of acknowledging that you think what the person said is particularly worthwhile although....

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I was just repped (thank-you! ) for a post I made on this thread almost a year ago. As I went back to see what I'd written that deserved this accolade (really, all my posts deserve rep, IM(NS)HO)

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Theoretically it gives you an indication of how many worthy things someone has said and so a quick way of establishing how much credit to give their opinion. So clearly ESG knows more than me, and DavidJames knows more than both of us.........
    That's very theoretical.....

Means that DavidJames knows 250 times as much about dancing as anyone who's just joined the forum. Which would be interesting if, say, Jordan Frisbee or Robert Cordoba ever joined....

Personally, I think that rep scores mean nothing. They're an indication of several things - probably the most meaningful being how often you post. Or how many friends you've got who are also posting. Or how much of a rep tart you are...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post

Means that DavidJames knows 250 times as much about dancing as anyone who's just joined the forum. Which would be interesting if, say, Jordan Frisbee or Robert Cordoba ever joined....
    Sounds about right to me, where's the flaw in that logic?

Personally, I think that rep scores mean nothing. They're an indication of several things - probably the most meaningful being how often you post. Or how many friends you've got who are also posting. Or how much of a rep tart you are...
    Does that mean I can count on your vote for the Great Rep Reset then?

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Does that mean I can count on your vote for the Great Rep Reset then?
    Oh yes. Indeed, I've already posted something along those lines!

Actually, I think that it should be reset on a weekly basis!

It's slightly scarier than that - on joining you have a rep of "0" so David James knows infinitely more than anyone who's just joined!

The Forum Legend

It's slightly scarier than that - on joining you have a rep of "0" so David James knows infinitely more than anyone who's just joined!
    I thought that everyone started off with 10 points....

Blog Entries

Actually, everyone knows infinitely more than anyone who's just joined, by that logic...

I thought that everyone started off with 10 points....
    Yep - looks like your right. Oh well I've learnt something new

The Forum Legend

Yep - looks like your right.
    First time for everything!

Thread Information