Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer dancing

Summer dancing

Thankfully summer now seems to have arrived, and warmer days mean warmer nights, and warmer nights mean… some less than fragrant partners at Ceroc! (I’m sure that this has been discussed before, so please forgive me, but I’m curious.) Actually, it’s not so much the good clean sweat that’s a problem, as those who arrive already a bit whiffy at the start of the beginners class (marinading all day apparently, judging by some of the men I’ve come across). Have these people not heard of deodorant?

So how do you cope? Holding one’s breath whilst dancing with a whiffy partner is not very practical. But the nausea that can be caused by breathing the BO smell is pretty bad too I’m usually only aware of some guys who have this problem, but guys do you find women with the same problem and what effect does it have on your dancing with them? Could the teachers not throw in the odd reminder to use deodorant before a class as a matter of dancing etiquette?

I did come up with an idea that might help this, but unfortunately Ceroc London weren’t interested In the summer you often get deodorant companies giving away free samples at major stations – I suggested that they see if they could get them to come in and give some away at Ceroc venues (thought it could be mutually beneficial), but apparently they can’t see how it would grow the business, so aren’t interested in using it. Maybe another region could use the idea instead.

Re: Summer dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly
    I did come up with an idea that might help this, but unfortunately Ceroc London weren’t interested In the summer you often get deodorant companies giving away free samples at major stations – I suggested that they see if they could get them to come in and give some away at Ceroc venues (thought it could be mutually beneficial), but apparently they can’t see how it would grow the business, so aren’t interested in using it. Maybe another region could use the idea instead.
    Hello Twirly. This subject has come up before and someone is bound to provide a link to previous discussions but it always worth the newcomers to the forum having their say nevertheless.

I have been to a number of indepentant MJ providers where cans of deodorant are provided free in the guys toilets, neatly labelled with the company logo and a sign saying help yourself. Ceroc (at least in the South where I have experienced it) rarely seem to do something unless an independant has done it before and it has been shown to be A Good Thing. So when it is a commonplace practice amongst independants, wait for 18 months and perhaps Ceroc will start doing it. When they do start doing something though, they do it really well.

Pongy men at venues are really not that common but you really do remember the ones that you encounter. It seems to be more a problem in London where people work all day in offices, rush out to venues while grabbing food on the way and go straight in without having the chance to have a shower at their place of work. They do have other options if this is the case and you would think it would be a simple matter of packing some clean shirts in the morning and a flannel so at least they could have a reasonable wash in the gents loo and a clean, non marinaded shirt to wear. It is just a failure of planning in their part brought on by not doing it having no consequences.

If you point blank refused to dance with a pongy man (don't make a public show of it or be unduly hurtful) until they had sorted the problem then problem would go away (both at the time and in the future). Men will get the clear message that if you pong you will spend the evening sitting on your butt. You might be thought of as a bit of a hotshot for refusing a dance but why should you put up with their smell if they won't keep their own hygene in order. A little proviso here - sometimes pongyness creeps up on us men and we are not always the first to notice. So if you tell us then at least we know and can do something about it.

Men (and it almost always is) then have a choice. Either clean themselves in future and pack clean shirts (at least), or not have anyone agree to dance with them.

Don't put up with the excuse that they didn't have time or facitilies to wash between work and dancing. They either find a way and the time or they don't come out dancing. Men that can't be bothered to wash don't deserve to have women dancing in their arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    If you point blank refused to dance with a pongy man
    Thanks for your suggestions Chef - appreciated, as this is also the first thread I've started! And finding an original topic must be almost impossible...

As for refusing to dance with the pongy man, that's very true, but it's a bit difficult in class where you are often stuck in close quarters for some time (and it's worse if it's under an "arch"!). Sadly, there are some for whom this is not a purely summer phenomenon either

I do know that most guys make a big effort though, using towels, changing shirts etc. It helps if they laugh when you slide out of their hands though!

I have long hair which has a tendency to get a bit damp when I "glow" a little too much - was quite relieved to find someone else at the last Hammersmith I went to drying her hair in the ladies with the hand dryer just as I'd done when it was empty earlier!

The Dashing Moderator

I’m sure that this has been discussed before, so please forgive me, but I’m curious
    Unfortunately vBulletin search isn't the best so it's always tricky to find previous discussions .
    I think Gagging for a dance is one of the classics (especially Lory's posts near the end), but there are probably more.
    Love dance, will travel

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    I have been to a number of indepentant MJ providers where cans of deodorant are provided free in the guys toilets, neatly labelled with the company logo and a sign saying help yourself. Ceroc (at least in the South where I have experienced it) rarely seem to do something unless an independant has done it before and it has been shown to be A Good Thing. So when it is a commonplace practice amongst independants, wait for 18 months and perhaps Ceroc will start doing it. When they do start doing something though, they do it really well.
    Ceroc at Finchley do provide deodorant in the men's toilets - don't think this is true in the other Cerocmetro venues though. I can't imagine this is a major expense, maybe a couple of quid per night, and it can be very useful.

"Ceroc aftershave" - blimey, it's a scary thought really, what would they call it?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    "Ceroc aftershave" - blimey, it's a scary thought really, what would they call it?
    First Move™

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime
    First Move™

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime
    First Move™
    Too simple....would have to be something like.....firstmovevariationarchieteapotmanspinflam encowalkTM

Blog Entries

Nahh, it should be a "weather" name to go with "Breeze", "Storm" etc - how about "Cumulo-Nimbus"? That sounds all fresh and outdoorsy

Summer dancin', the heat's on full blast
    Summer dancin', those 'pits make me gasp,
    Met a girl, who really did "glow"
    Met a boy, dreadful BO,
    Summer days, driftin' away, but oh, those weekender nights...

Tell me more, tell me more
    Could you smell her afar?
    Tell me more, tell me more
    Had to stand by the bar!

She danced by me, her sweat made me slip,
    He slid by me, damp hands couldn't grip,
    I held her up, she nearly fell,
    Any wonder, the way that you smell?
    Summer sun, sweating's begun, but oh, those weekender nights...

It turned colder, so that's where it ends,
    Body odour on hot temps depends,
    Then we made, our dancer's vow,
    Use deoderant, and that means right now!

Summer smells, are often hell,
    bu-ut .. oh ... those weekender niiiighhhts!

Tell me more, tell me more, oh....

ROFL!!

Note to self: control giggles when reading this forum at work...

btw - an addition to the Ceroc personal hygiene armoury: breathe mints. Rather alot of day-old (at least) stale garlic last night... eurgh!

Blog Entries

ROFL!!
    You know, that's exactly the tune that came to mind the first time I saw this thread? Spooky...

btw - an addition to the Ceroc personal hygiene armoury: breathe mints. Rather alot of day-old (at least) stale garlic last night... eurgh!
    I did think of mentioning that - my local venue sells crisps etc., I keep on mentioning that mints would be a big-seller too, but no luck so far. Still, 60p for a bottle of water / can of drink is good value so I can't complain too much.

There must be loads of cross-selling possibilities at MJ venues - not just drink and dance vids, but clothes (apart from shoes), dance-y things (deodorant!), and so on.

A few years back when the lovely Salsa Fusion nights ( ) were on in Notre Dame at Leicester Square*, there used to be an entire row of stalls along the side of the dance floor, selling lots of different things. Ahh, those were the days.

* Before Boy Bloody George decided to buy the venue for his silly show

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    ~SNIP~
    She danced by me, her sweat made me slip,
    He slid by me, damp hands couldn't grip,
    I held her up, she nearly fell,
    Any wonder, the way that you smell?
    Summer sun, sweating's begun, but oh, those weekender nights...
    ~SNIP~

On a similar note, does anybody find themselves, like me, rather embarrassed when they've been dancing with a very sweaty partner, to then find themselves damp when they dance with someone else? I keep wanting to explain, "it's not me, it's my last partner who was sweating so much!" I usually do try to dry off a bit before I dance with someone else but sometimes someone asks you immediately and you don't get the chance. The other option is to try and wipe your hands on your clothes discreetly, but somehow that seems rather rude!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by firefly
    On a similar note, does anybody find themselves, like me, rather embarrassed when they've been dancing with a very sweaty partner, to then find themselves damp when they dance with someone else?
    All the time. Ladies, those backless numbers look lovely, but...

This weekend, I experienced a new variation on that one: my hand accidentally brushed the back of a guy dancing in another couple and it came back wet. It could have been worse, I could have been his partner, ewww.

(Blues room, of course - typical )

Anyway, I always carry a little flannel in my pocket, so a discrete wipe-off is usually possible without interrupting the flow too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    All the time. Ladies, those backless numbers look lovely, but...
    So, backless numbers, men with sweaty hands, you find the woman's back is sweaty - how come you're attributing that sweat to her?!!! Could belong to any number of the guys she was dancing with

Am having visions of a CSA-style investigation to track the sweat-trail around a venue...

Commercial Operator

Some other discussions/polls on this are http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5159

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8123

I like the idea of the deodorant samples, would the relevant companies think it is a wide enough market though? But I think much more important than that is to be fresh before you start, I'm sure that the toilet facilities at a venue usually come way down the list, it would be nice to think that freshening up there would be comfortable, rather than the last resort.

Greg

Blog Entries

So, backless numbers, men with sweaty hands, you find the woman's back is sweaty - how come you're attributing that sweat to her?!!! Could belong to any number of the guys she was dancing with
    Yeah, but it's, you know, on her body.

If I have a sweaty hand because of someone else's sweat, it's still my responsibility to wipe if off and not inflict it on others, isn't it?

Am having visions of a CSA-style investigation to track the sweat-trail around a venue...
    "Whooooo's sweat are you?"

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    it would be nice to think that freshening up there would be comfortable, rather than the last resort.
    Great point.
    Well made.

Gotta chuck my two penneth in 'cos I'm like that. . . .

Twirly - if you wanna say NO to a bloke cos he looks unpleasant/sweaty/whiffs/whatever

Go for it Girl - I would!

I reckon you are on good grounds to say no here but if you want to be nicer tell him why - 'sorry I think you need a new shirt first' has to be a good indication methinks and as you are the girl (with feelings) and the horrible bloke (as we are all tarred - has none) that's ok - I don't however think I'd get away with it to a girl. So I just remember the unpleasant ones and run away when I see them approaching.

Personnally I try to be nice to dance with on all levels and like it when I'm asked to dance. Therefore if i can keep my shirt dry - why can't everyone.

And it isn't just deodourant or antipersirant - if the clothes stink the clothes (erm watch out for the rocket science here) well - STINK and smellies ain't gonna help that!

Just don't get onto washing your hands after using the toilets - you girls would be mortified/horrified/lots of other words ending in fied/and really shocked! With that happy note . . . . .

I get rather warm when dancing; I've sat down next to someone (not touching, just normal sitting down) and they've said that they can feel the heat radiating off me
    Needless to say, my t-shirts are normally a bit on the 'damp' side after one or two dances {} I could change them, but at the end of the dance with a fresh one one, it would be damp again.

I know that it may be unplesant for followers, so I do a few things that I hope help:
    0) I start with a sprey of deoderant and squirt of aftershave - at least i am confident I start dancing smelling clean and fresh.

1) I appologise in advance and see what the reaction is so i can pick my moves to exclude close or hand slide moves. If my hands are slick, I will attempt to rub them down, but I seldom use 'grip' leads where it would be a problem.

2) I lead men-spins and shoulder slides with a last second -flick- of the fingers and a slight move away from my partner so that they don't actually come in contaact with the back of my t-shirt. And I lead combs without the follower's hand touching my neck (no "slo combs")

3) I don't give the persperation a chance to dry - only stale sweat smells.

I know that some folk may find it gross to dance with someone who ends up as 'soggy' as me at the end of the night, so and to all those who put up with me.

Thread Information