Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Following?

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by Wendy

Am with Chicklet on this one. Surely it comes from within ???
    We need a music teacher (that's a hint, Claire )

Funnily enough I was chatting to my Mum about dancing and beat the other day - she's an accompanist (er..sp?), and she was saying that in her experience there are lots of musicians who have a lot of trouble dancing to the beat. Though clearly they can spot a beat as they are making their living playing in time (one hopes!!).

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Originally posted by DavidB
    I would imagine it must drive the ladies mad when a man gets it consistently wrong.
    Yip !!! It's awful - worse than BO, worse than bad breath, worse than lycra !!!!

Wxxx

worse than bad breath
    Wxxx
    Nooh..bad breath is the worst! I find it much harder to dance holding my breath than I do to ignore the music

Blog Entries
    Yip !!! It's awful - worse than BO, worse than bad breath, worse than lycra !!!!

Wxxx

oohhh decisions, is a man with no beat really worse than a man in lycra????????????????????not sure

cos you can just look away from a man with no beat after the dance but it's very very very very difficult to stop er staring at a man in lycra all night, and I don't mean in appreciation!!!

do we need a poll???

what's the worst thing to have to suffer?

Originally posted by Emma
    Nooh..bad breath is the worst! I find it much harder to dance holding my breath than I do to ignore the music
    Yeh OK. But you can always offer them a mint ??? And BO is pretty bad too. (Sweat is fine of course !!! ) And lycra is actually OK cos of some of the people who wear it I suppose.... but not getting the beat is still horrendous !!!!

Wxxx

PS Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday !!!

I'm now imagining a man with bad breath and BO dancing off-beat in a lycra vest. Oh! and with long nails...

I think I need medication....

Originally posted by Chicklet
    oohhh decisions, is a man with no beat really worse than a man in lycra????????????????????not sure

cos you can just look away from a man with no beat after the dance but it's very very very very difficult to stop er staring at a man in lycra all night, and I don't mean in appreciation!!!

do we need a poll???

what's the worst thing to have to suffer?
    We keep posting at the same time !!!!

Yes a poll would be good.

BO and alcohol breath with a thumb gripping you - that's pretty bad... and him dancing to Boogie Woogie Chu Chu Train/Bugle Boy thingy while the music is really Cantaloop !!! AAAAArrrrrgggghhhh!

Wx

The Forum Legend
    We need a music teacher (that's a hint, Claire )
    Ummm. Will I do? I did a music degree, and have taught piano and voice

Failing that, there's always Lorna. Or CJ.

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Ummm. Will I do? I did a music degree, and have taught piano and voice

You certainly will duck, that was just a heavily hint-laden post for a certain personage who reads but does not post (and who is gonna kill me when I see her tonight )

Commercial Operator
    Well.. I must confess that I find it incredibly difficult to dance off beat. There are one or two ladies who, when I dance with them I know that we are most probably going to have a crap dance , simply because we hear a different beat. I must say though that it is an unfortunate problem because I feel that I can't make the experience of the dance good for her, if I am only going through the motions because I cant get into the same rhythm.
    I sometimes watch guys who seem to have an endless repertoir of moves, but seem unconscious of the music. This must be quite diconcerting for the lady who is dancing with them.
    I think that rhythm is a hard thing to teach someone who doesn't have any, though Steve's method looks interesting. Would probably make a good wee workshop, though it might be hard to get people on it, as they would have to admit that they had no rhythm

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by DavidB
    It just seems to be one of those things (like footwork) that never gets taught, but you are just expected to do. And generally this approach seems to work.

I've got no idea how to teach it.
    Interesting discussion... and I agree that teaching 'rhythm' is difficult, but I disagree that it cannot be taught, for some people it will be instinctive, but anyone can learn to pick up the beat.

Firstly though, I would like to say that understanding the beat is like having a sense of humour...... everyone *think* they do, including those who (obviously) have it wrong, they actually think they are dancing to the *only* righteous beat in the music, and that their partner just does not have it.

Therefore the real difficulty is in getting people to become aware they may be wrong without insulting them.

There are exceptions to the above, some beginners are so focused on getting the move right, they really are not thinking / paying attention to the beat.

The best way I have found to help with the beat is to get everyone to do a very simple sway from side to side just before I start counting 5 6 7 8 before we practise a move / routine... it gives people a chance to become aware of how the beat feels without worrying (yet) about the moves.
    during workshop, I would use a simple move like the manspin and repeat it over and over, while marking the beat for everyone...

I believe finding the beat is all about knowing what to listen to in the track, and some tracks are much more confusing than others...
    First you must listen to the music...

Franck.

P.S. It is another skill altogether to be able to lead your partner into a counter beat deliberately, for effect and style, and it can be a lot of fun...

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Franck
    P.S. It is another skill altogether to be able to lead your partner into a counter beat deliberately, for effect and style, and it can be a lot of fun...
    I probably do change the timing sometimes when I improvise. But I would change back as soon as I do moves again. I couldn't change timings for a regular move - it would just feel too unnatural - a bit like trying to do a waltz to 4/4 time music.

(Having said that I do another dance (Hustle) that is based on a 3-count, but is done to 4/4 music, and still feels ok. But it only suits music where the emphasis on the beats is equal.)

Be careful trying it in a competition though - a judge could mark you down for dancing out of time.

David

One other small point about dancing on the beat: I find it looks/feels "crude"{?} when my partner feels the need to 'bop' on every beat - especially when some moves feel better when they slide smoothly over a few beats.

Commercial Operator
    Hello, its my first time trying this so I hope this ends up the in right place. Warms my heart that there is such interest in the area of leading and following, as I think its one of the hardest things to do well and perhaps not taught as much as it should be. So thought I'd let you all know I'm doing a free workshop on the subject this Sunday, the 13th, at Kent House, Hammersmith, London, from 12pm. The workshop will probably be quite small since as you've noted earlier, there aren't many people dedicated to improving in this area. This will hopefully enable me to provide as much individual coaching and feedback as possible, as I believe this is the only way you can really improve in this area...

Happy leading and following....!

Amir.

Originally posted by amir
    I'm doing a free workshop on the subject this Sunday
    What a star - I'm impressed... that's dedication for you !!!

there aren't many people dedicated to improving in this area. This will hopefully enable me to provide as much individual coaching and feedback as possible, as I believe this is the only way you can really improve in this area...
    Yes there are !!!! Me for one !!!!

And a VERY warm sunny Scottish welcome to the Forum !!!!

Wx

Hello, its my first time trying this so I hope this ends up the in right place.
    Amir.
    Welcome aboard.

Sandy (Aberdeen)

Hello, its my first time trying this so I hope this ends up the in right place.....

Amir.
    The problem with these forums is that they can attract "Riff-Raff". There is no real way of seperating the serious dancers from the 'fly-by-night' Kiwi time wasters that New Zealand seems to have more than it's fair share off.

Confirmed Forum Plant Basil Brush (Forum Plant)'s Avatar
    It is another skill altogether to be able to lead your partner into a counter beat deliberately, for effect and style, and it can be a lot of fun...
    And furthermore picking up syncopations and/or dancing to the off-beat in more interesting music (e.g. swing)... ducks for cover.... can make it a truly amazing dance if you have good connection and a polished lead & follow...

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Basil Brush
    ducks for cover
    No need to duck - I agree with you. A lot of Swing music does suit dancing on the off-beat.

But does that mean it doesn't suit dancing on the on-beat???

David

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Carla
    You have a pussy?
    Hello...just back from Barcelona.it was fab...... thanks for asking

And yes I do have a pussy - very shy, going grey ands lets you know when he's happy

and as for leading and dancing to the beat............. well I realise people can hear different beats so sometimes neither dancer is 'wrong' but they need to decide on which beat to follow. I suppose people can learn to some degree but in a class they can have the beats counted for them but if it's not a 'simple' beat then what do they do in freestyle ??

There's a;so a difference between leaders who can't hear the beat and those who hear it but ignore it in an effort to get through every move they know in each song so end up wrenching the followers arm about in an attempt to do the moves - regardless of how appropriate it/they might be. :reallymad

Een if Franck and Scot ofered workshops up here I would imagine the men who turned up would be those who already lead well and hear the beat but want to improve rather than the men who do neither but think they do !!!!

Anyway, have some ironing to do before I pack and get ready for week 2 of the hols.......... London and Manchester here I come.....

Thread Information