Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Following?

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Chicklet
    er yes, but I've never used it for dancing

....................erm.........can't think of what else it could be used for but it does make you follow well doesn't it

oh..........and back on topic !! .....one good thing about experienced dancers going to the beginners class is that not only do they help the new dancers but as Franck said on another thread ages ago...it gives 'experienced' dancers the opportunity to try out some style on just basic moves.

I was demo-ing with Lisa last night and when we did an armjive I realised I was doing something a little different with my feet so I concentrated on that rather than just the arms. Perhaps I shoudl have concentrated a little more on the intermediate class though :sorry

Commercial Operator
    er yes, but I've never used it for dancing
    Ah yes,...that'll be the one you bought at the same time as the furry handcuffs...you little minx

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dance Demon
    Ah yes,...that'll be the one you bought at the same time as the furry handcuffs...you little minx
    nah - I use the scarf to wave at the dirty triplets at the airport - and it was them that left the furry handcuffs!!!!!

Seriously I would love to try blindfold follow to see how I do.

And am always delighted to see the nonbeginner gents in the line up as you just never know what little top tip they might add in to what the teacher suggests!

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Following?

Originally posted by Divissima

Amir once said (in the context of tango but equally applicable in many ways to jive) that a lady does nothing. She simply waits. She doesn't try to anticipate or lead, she waits to be led. It is easier said than done It is part of the human brain to make sense of information which has gaps in it - so if you are being led a move you think you know, it is natural to assume you know what's coming next. I sometimes find this tendency has switched on while I'm dancing - so much to concentrate on all the time, have to concentrate on switching it off again and really waiting and following. But where would be the fun if there wasn't another aspect to improve.

Perfectly put. I'm really going to try hard to switch off tonight and see it anyone notices the difference. It reminds of shiatsu when you need to have "ragdoll arms" ... took me weeks to get that "working" .... "ragdoll brain " is what I'm after....

Wx

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Following?

Originally posted by Wendy
    . It reminds of shiatsu when you need to have "ragdoll arms" ... took me weeks to get that "working" .... "ragdoll brain " is what I'm after....

Wx
    Wendy and ragdoll........ don't think the two go together . You're far too good to be considered a ragdoll. I can think of a few terms or adjectives but this isn't one!!

I have heard the term used for a particular dancer and it's not meant to be flattering!

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Bill
    . Perhaps I shoudl have concentrated a little more on the intermediate class though :sorry [/B]

got to ask - what happened to prompt a sorry smilie???

just being terribly nosey today

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Following?

Wendy and ragdoll........ don't think the two go together . You're far too good to be considered a ragdoll. I can think of a few terms or adjectives but this isn't one!!

Not the body just the brain !! Hopefully the body will still be very much alive !!!

Wxxx

B.T.C.
    got to ask - what happened to prompt a sorry smilie???

just being terribly nosey today

Despite Lisa's best efforts I managed to muck up one of the moves as we demoed on stage and although it wasn't bad as went through the routine I didn't make it look quite as it should.

C'est la vie I suppose. I'll try to do better tomorrow night

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Following?

Originally posted by John S

Oh yes there was - if I can get up to Dundee you can get down to Rosyth!
    Sorry John- I should have made myself more clear.............there was no dancing for ME on Tuesday night but you're right, it's a long time since I've been to Rosyth, I'll need to rectify that :sorry

I've only ever danced with one woman who almost appeared to deliberately disregard the lead and the tempo of the song in an attempt to do her own 'thang' which made the dance an absolute nightmare.
    Oh but Bill we were both just learning then !!!!

DVx

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Dancing Veela
    Oh but Bill we were both just learning then !!!!

DVx

...... but even when I gave you the opportunity to do your own thing ( or when yoiu decided it was time to ) you always danced on the beat.

And of course as you are so good whatever you did was infinitely better than the move I had in mind Looking forward to our next dance

my 2p

OK, considering it is 2am now, having got addicted to reading this thread, I'll add a couple of my own thoughts from a followers perspective...

Not only is it difficult to follow because a few guys are not good at leading, but naturally leads are also done differently by many guys... just ask the third guy I thought was leading me into a headchopper the other night (at least the first two were leading a headchopper and came away unscathed )

I also don't like to be given the lead - which is quite different to being given the chance to do my 'thang' now and then when it fits to the music. Which is why I am disappointed when a guy accuses me of leading him. I never intentionally do that (unless he can't get the beat - in which case the guy has never raised the issue of me leading anyway...).

I have been accused of leading when my follow of his lead has not gone as he planned. Usually because he expected me to 'know' rather than 'feel' his lead, and when what he leads is contradictory I'll go for feel every time. The brain is always disengaged!

Is this making sense?
    Must be time for bed.

Great descriptions from DavidB BTW - a leading legend.

Leading

Originally posted by Debster

Great descriptions from DavidB BTW - a leading legend.
    Just a thought - only the lady who is dancing with the guy really knows how good or bad a leader he is - not even the guy himself will know, as he has probably never been led.

So perhaps there's a case for guys to have a few dances (as followers) with some acknowledged experts at leading (as judged by the ladies) so that we know what it feels like to be well-led.

I know it conjures up the image of a gay bar in San Francisco, but perhaps even a "men-only" dance or two at a regular weeknight or party might work - the rule could be that the person who has been dancing longer is the leader.

Get the cameras ready, girls!

Re: Leading

Originally posted by John S

So perhaps there's a case for guys to have a few dances (as followers) with some acknowledged experts at leading (as judged by the ladies) so that we know what it feels like to be well-led.

Get the cameras ready, girls!
    My favourite guy dancers can dance with guys - it's wonderful to watch !!! Fun !! and dare I say it kinda sexy at the same time

Wx

Commercial Operator
    I have tried dancing as a follower, and must confess:sorry that I found it very dificult. Maybe with a lot of practice I would get used to it, but probably still wouldn't be a good follower. Total respect to all you ladies out there who try to follow loads of different guys with different styles every night you dance. That in itself takes a lot of skill....and patience

Total respect to all you ladies out there who try to follow loads of different guys with different styles every night you dance. That in itself takes a lot of skill....and patience
    Yep and even a certain degree of brain power!! this relates of course to the quote by some **** who said women did not need to use their brains to follow:reallymad

Well said DD

Sandy

I have tried dancing as a follower, and must confess:sorry that I found it very dificult. Maybe with a lot of practice I would get used to it, but probably still wouldn't be a good follower. Total respect to all you ladies out there who try to follow loads of different guys with different styles every night you dance. That in itself takes a lot of skill....and patience
    Thanks for telling me to shut up and stop worrying about missing your lead the other night. Maybe I've been dancing with too many perfectionists recently and had forgotten that it was all supposed to be for fun!

The Forum Legend
    I don't know Sandy. When I'm following, I try to switch off my brain, and just follow my arm. Which I suppose still does take my brain, but I'm just trying not to think conciously.

And Aleks. I totally agree with DD. Ladies who are dancing with me, aren't allowed to ever say sorry. It is all suppose to be fun, and also, when it comes down to it, we're leading, so if anything goes wrong, then it's our fault for not leading well enough (or not picking the moves we do to reflect the ability of the person we're dancing with).

STeve

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Aleks
    Thanks for telling me to shut up and stop worrying about missing your lead the other night. Maybe I've been dancing with too many perfectionists recently and had forgotten that it was all supposed to be for fun!
    No problems Aleks.....
    My main motivation for going dancing is to escape the worries and stresses of everyday life, and if you start taking the dancing bit too seriously' it becomes another stress factor. The freestyle sections of any dance night should be used to get your happy head on and enjoy (IMHO) Re perfectionists....where else have you been dancing recently to find a perfect dancer?......even the very best have off nights

Re perfectionists....where else have you been dancing recently to find a perfect dancer?......even the very best have off nights
    I refuse to name any names .....but I have been spending time with dancers who would like it "just so".
    No-one is perfect. Maybe I just give myself a hard time about it!

Thread Information